Bellazon

The Official Victoria's Secret Thread

Kevork89

6 hours ago, GlitterAndWings said:

Even though I'm not a fan of some of those Angels, I don't think they're at fault for VS' issues. The biggest issue is the direction they're taking with their shoots. If they went back to the sexy, more mature vibes, it would be better all around, but going for a more laid back look is what's damaging. The girls can deliver, it's just a matter of using them in the right setting. More shoots like the ones for Valentine's Day last year would be better instead of the cutesy shoots they're pushing right now. 

100% agree on this but apparently last year VDay shoot was pulled out of stores because it was judged too sexy...

The V.S. brand was born out of creating a catalog that made it less awkward and uncomfortable for men to buy sexy things for their wives and girlfriends.  That's a fact.  I've spent a lot of money in the store and online for that very reason.  That's what took the business from one guy's garage to the global powerhouse it became.  There's powerful psychology to this strategy: men fantasize about Candice Swanepoel wearing a particular lingerie set, they want to see their girlfriend wearing it, they buy it, and when their girlfriend is modeling it some of that "Candice Swanepoel fantasy" unconsciously bleeds over into the real-life experience.  Who wouldn't want to go back for more of that?  I bought a lot of V.S. stuff for exactly that reason.  That's how the best marketing psychology works: you create a fantasy in your marketing AND in real life for your customers.

For years the catalog appealed to both men and women in different ways, and there's no question that men's purchases were a large part of the balance sheet.  It's obvious to me why the brand is failing now, and it has nothing to do with who their current models are, or what their body type is (IMO their models are still the best of the best):

- Dropped swimwear line: instant revenue drop by cutting an entire product line, loss of men's interest in the brand because, quite frankly, the V.S. swim catalogs in past years were often photographed better than the classic S.I. Swimsuit issue, with better and more recognizable models (because the S.I. models often came from V.S. discoveries to begin with)

- Dropped the clothing line: maybe they were losing money on clothing, but dropping clothing means fewer people interested in visiting the store and the website, both men and women included

- Killed the catalog: they could have kept the catalog online.  Don't tell me they can't afford the 2-3 full-time salaries it would require to do the graphic design and layouts, and retain their existing photographers/locations.  Yeah, I'm a guy, but I've also been a paying customer.  Now I just don't care about the brand anymore, and there's nothing to look forward to. Perfect example was the Christmas Catalog, the highlight of their branding every year.

- Photography style went from "fantasy" to boring af:  I would bet anything that whoever has been in charge of the brand's creative direction since revenues started plunging decided it would be a good idea to kill the appeal to men and focus on women only.  Whoever that is either does not understand the male contingent of their customers and how men can affect women's buying decisions, or worse, is a closet man-hater.  No swimwear, no catalog, less reason for men and a large section of women to ever set foot in the store or buy online, then the final nail in the coffin: photograph all of the styles against a white or solid background with zero creativity.  Now the site looks like every boring, mediocre, department store's website with nothing standing out.  Buying V.S.'s product now carries all of the excitement of buying groceries.

- V.S. Fashion Show is irrelevant and a waste of money: want to save some money to pay for creative photo shoots, video specials, commercials, and branding again? Stop spending millions on all of the press, video, celebrities, and foreign locations for the dead end runway special.  Once they went "Las Vegas Showgirl" with it there was nowhere else to go.   Spreading out the interest over the course of the whole year is a lot better than wasting a ton of money building up to a one-night, totally lame T.V. special. No one even watches T.V. anymore!

R.I.P. Victoria's Secret

(I hope someone from their corporate office ends up reading this)

Although I agree with most of your complains, it's just tiring to read the same sh*t about the models, specially in a freaking forum dedicated to VS. If it frustrates you so much and you think it is that bad, why do you even spend your time here? 

11 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I'm still dealing with the VS brightening gel cream and the Rocking Body Shimmer :hang:

OMG, I sometimes use the Rockin' Body Shimmer too!!! :woot: It is ok. Works slightly better if you combine it with lotion :p 

I have used the brightening gel too. I prefer the original one that came in a jar. It was a better shimmer and had a better texture :D