Bellazon

Mathias Lauridsen
Thumbnail

persuazn

People do want you to settle for less because they are afraid that you will get something better than them. I don't tend to let that annoy me because at the end of the day, why should I lay boundaries on who I want to meet in life? I really think that if you are not intimidated by the person and treat them like a normal human being, you will have a bigger chance of a friendship or something more. I really like that story you told me, its so sweet. I seriously don't think otherwise, you never know who you will meet!

Oh wow, looks like you and Mathias are quite compatible then! Lol :D

I guess I have always been different, I don't see the point in conforming. Well, actually, I did try to when I was 14. Everyone in my year started to listen to some real punk and rock music, having casual sex and smoking weed. I once contemplated smoking weed but then I didn't at the end. Looking back, I am proud that I didn't conform into one of those girls because then I would have lost my true self. The interviews of Mathias do give us insight into his personality and I like the way how he didn't turn out to be this arrogant model. I can relate to him that way in that both us don't see the point in being like everyone else. But yeah, word interviews aren't enough! WE NEED MORE TV INTERVIEWS OF HIM...AMEN!

I am really touched too by the story, I just wish that there are more stories like that. You shouldn't put people on a pedastall if they are famous or good-looking or whatever, it would prevent you from knowing that person fully because you would literally worship them.

I agree, when you know that people are going to envy you for something, somehow you feel like you should almost immediately self-deprecate EVERYTHING you do so that you will be on the same level as them and be accepted. I don't get it, but sometimes I do it because if I didn't, I would feel bad :( And its almost more difficult if they are your friends or family. They do, in a way, kill your dreams or ambitions but on the other hand, they might be trying to make you see the reality so that we wouldn't end up being heartbroken or something. That is how I see it anyway :p But with Mathias, who wouldn't want to meet him? All my girlfriends LOVE him!

Forbes.com

The World's Most Successful Male Models

Lauren Streib, 05.07.08, 12:00 PM ET

In Pictures: The World's 10 Most Successful Male Models

Quick, name one male model. Sorry, Fabio doesn't count.

Can't do it? No surprise. Male models, even the few who work at the top of the fashion industry, are unknown to

the general public. Unlike their female counterparts, they don't host television shows or represent multi-billion

dollar lingerie companies. They also don't bank millions of dollars. (See: "The World's Top-Earning Models." )

"It's the only industry in the world where women make more than men," says John W. Babin, co-director of the

men's division at Red Model Management. A lot more. Female models command two to three times the rate of

male models for the same work.

The most successful male models earn in the mid-six-figure range, maxing out around $500,000 a year. Still, for

those who pay attention, male models are the faces and bodies of esteemed brands worldwide.

To rank the models on our list, we combined advertising campaigns, editorial work and runway experience over

the last two seasons, giving special consideration to prominence and scope where relevant. Given the metrics,

the list favors of-the-moment male models, not the established industry veterans.

At the top of the list is Taylor Fuchs, who's been in the industry less than two years. Fuchs stands out with his

long list of catwalk crossings and high-profile campaigns such as Dolce & Gabbana and Gianfranco Ferré.

Mathias Lauridsen may be No. 2 on our list, but he's been in the industry much longer than Fuchs. After nearly

five years, he has managed to stay on top by lending his face--with its signature scar across the left

cheekbone--to lucrative contracts like spring's Gucci fragrance campaign.

Most successful male models balance runways shows, commercial catalogs, advertising campaigns and editorial

opportunities. Fragrance and exclusive designer advertising campaigns are the most lucrative. High-end catalog

photo shoots pay an average of $8,000-$15,000 per day and typically last one day.

For models rising up the ranks, most work pays in prestige and non-monetary perks. An editorial shoot may earn

a model up to $150, but working with a prominent photographer, padding a portfolio and exposure in a

well-respected magazine is worth more than cash. Runway shows, especially with up-and-coming designers,

often pay in clothes that can be very useful in castings.

Past male models who have come close to supermodel status, such as Mark Vanderloo and Marcus

Schenkenberg in the early 1990s, were of the "Ken doll" ideal. Soon after, a Brazilian-Cuban trend entered

thanks in part to Bruce Weber, the photographer responsible for the iconic Calvin Klein advertisements. Grunge

followed. Since then, a "healthier" male standard has returned, though the look varies from label to label.

High-profile advertisement campaigns don't feature the "skateboarding kids that were used in the past," says

Gene Kogan of DNA Model Management. "There's more respect for the consumer." Since mature, male

consumers are the major spenders, advertising and editorial has shifted to appeal to them.

Still, opportunities for male models are declining as the retail industry contracts. Ten years ago, male models had

catalog work from regional department stores like Marshall Field's, Kaufmann's, Hecht's and Hudson's. In 2005,

all of them were acquired and re-branded into the singular retail behemoth Macy's (nyse: M - news - people ).

Then there's the rise of celebrity culture. Male models now battle with male celebrities for editorial work once

models' private domain. Since 2000, just one male model was on the cover of GQ. Female models were on

seven covers, and male celebrities were on over 70 covers. Male models have been relegated to magazines

such as such as Numéro Homme, i-D and VMan--outside the mainstream and catering to an edgier audience.

Still, says Kogan, there's hope. "The growth in men's magazines attests to the fact that more men are buying

clothes and beauty products,” he says. 'Over time, as the spending by the male sector broadens, [the business]

will improve."

2. Mathias Lauridsen

Mathias Lauridsen, 24, has enjoyed a relatively long run of success since his runway debut in 2003. He's booked

esteemed campaigns and contracts with Costume National and Hugo Boss. He's currently lending his face--with

its signature scar across the left cheekbone--to this spring's Gucci fragrance campaign.

With what I have read about Mathias, I have to be on the same boat as you. But then again, you are right, you wouldn't know what he is really like unless you actually know him very well. So what we could all do is to have an idealistic version of him in our head. But to be honest, with or without camera, I believe Mathias is just as genuine and as nice :)

The ideals that the society portrays are soo hard to live up to. A while ago the whole "size 0 debate" made people think "why would people want to be as thin as that?" But then again, you will always have people who secretly wants to be just as skinny, even if it means purging the food out or starving yourself to death. Me and my friends are seriously not in the popular gang, infact, we are quite the opposite but we have a connection and we love a good rave now and then. But we have never been to the club before! Ahaha, how ironic? but I don't think that going out every Saturday to get pissed is my thing either, I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Some people might think that I am boring but to be honest, I don't want to die young.

And I really hope that Mathias will not run away from the cameras in the coming fashion weeks.

I am really touched too by the story, I just wish that there are more stories like that. You shouldn't put people on a pedastall if they are famous or good-looking or whatever, it would prevent you from knowing that person fully because you would literally worship them.

I agree, when you know that people are going to envy you for something, somehow you feel like you should almost immediately self-deprecate EVERYTHING you do so that you will be on the same level as them and be accepted. I don't get it, but sometimes I do it because if I didn't, I would feel bad :( And its almost more difficult if they are your friends or family. They do, in a way, kill your dreams or ambitions but on the other hand, they might be trying to make you see the reality so that we wouldn't end up being heartbroken or something. That is how I see it anyway :p But with Mathias, who wouldn't want to meet him? All my girlfriends LOVE him!

Yes i totally agree that you shouldn't put other people on a pedestall regardless of successful status, like you said it would prevent people from meeting people like Mathias someone as extraordinarily amazing as him, and especially those you can really relate to on so many levels.

It's really hard thinking about people who envy your success because then it wouldn't be fair on yourself to limit yourself when everyone feels the need you should stay on the SAME stepping block as they are, i think if you had immense talent and potential to exceed in anything you want in life , the question you really have to ask yourself is are you going to be content with yourself having to worry about people who have certain expectations on you.. i think it's really about taking control in your life and what makes you happy , also to disremember the people who want less of you. Parents for example try and see the postive outlook on the things you want to persue in life so it's that they try to wake you up and see the reality trying to avoid the process of seeing their loved ones hurt so i completey understand that a 100%.

Hmm not many of my girlfriends know much about Mathias, they joke around with me and say "who is my latest admiration , perhaps another french singer" lol...To me Mathias is more an appreciation and respect than admiration i think i really respect mathias, i like to think the the idea of keeping him secretive is more respectful, because nowadays girls talk unseemly about men, you know how it is.

With what I have read about Mathias, I have to be on the same boat as you. But then again, you are right, you wouldn't know what he is really like unless you actually know him very well. So what we could all do is to have an idealistic version of him in our head. But to be honest, with or without camera, I believe Mathias is just as genuine and as nice :)

The ideals that the society portrays are soo hard to live up to. A while ago the whole "size 0 debate" made people think "why would people want to be as thin as that?" But then again, you will always have people who secretly wants to be just as skinny, even if it means purging the food out or starving yourself to death. Me and my friends are seriously not in the popular gang, infact, we are quite the opposite but we have a connection and we love a good rave now and then. But we have never been to the club before! Ahaha, how ironic? but I don't think that going out every Saturday to get pissed is my thing either, I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Some people might think that I am boring but to be honest, I don't want to die young.

And I really hope that Mathias will not run away from the cameras in the coming fashion weeks.

To be able to tell what kind of person a guy really is, is how he corresponds with his co-workers and friends and so on and like you said camera or no camera in Mathias's businiess i think he has handled everything and everyone in a very considerate, well-mannered way and that's enough to tell us otherwise so im quite gratified to know that he is a respectable person, in his interview they asked him what he wanted to strive for and he said to become an 'adult' so i think in many ways he's maturing in a very delectable way.

yes the idealistic society that it portrays are hard to live up to especially in terms of the fashion industry, they expect full on perfection and im not happy with it myself because this is the kind of example they are exposing to all girls and woman of all ages, i think for me what makes a classy woman is a confident woman....

a friend of mine was telling me about a woman who attended a party whom she spotted a really tall blonde handsome guy in the crowd and she instantly told her friend about him, she wanted to know his martial status and things like that. It turned out he was single, so she decided to give it a shot at this particular guy and get to know him, all of a sudden she mistakenly noticed he was looking at her across the room ....and when she tried to approach him it turned out he wasn't even interested in ther.. he was looking past her keen on another lady behind her. The woman he was interested in didn't come as close as looking gorgeous to the woman who was really interested in him. He noticed how confident she was, the details like how she held her champagne glass and how she smiled and laughed with her friends. I think sometimes it's not always about how you look, it's about feeling great in your own skin, feeling confident is key to anything.

....I don't know about every day life, i think it's just a matter of choosing the right people to hang out with but on the other side you will constantlty get judgemental people outside the lines you normally hang out with . I don't think it's fair to judge people in the first place because only they know their own pain and renunciation to begin with unless you really get to know a person.

It's kind of odd how Forbes keeps referring to his "signature scar". I mean.. Yes, it's recognizable, but they make it sound like the scar makes Mathias famous, which is really a bit backwards <_< People often notice the scar, but it's not like you can't tell it's him unless you see it. He has an extremely recognizable look, across his Entire face. I don't see how a single scar is that important when you have a face like Mathias, where anyone that's ever seen him will identify him (or at least remember where they saw him before). I mean, I didn't even know who he was a while ago, but I knew it was the same guy I'd seen from a *single* photo shoot months before.

Although they do raise a good point about male models in the industry. But tbh, I don't think it has much to do with men buying the products, as much as one major difference: With female models, girls often look up to them, and are comfortable promoting their image and buying their endorsed products because they think they're attractive, sexy, and/or interesting as people. What man is going to comfortably admit to having a favorite model, endorsing their products, or promoting their name/image? That's considered to be borderline homosexual behavior for many straight men :yuckky: Whereas women are more comfortable around sexy women, and they don't mind saying so!

(at least, in my experience. Women are "beautiful", Men are not nature's idea of beauty, yadda yadda.)

A real shame, imo. But then, I'm not a dude, I can't really relate :blink:

To be able to tell what kind of person a guy really is, is how he corresponds with his co-workers and friends and so on and like you said camera or no camera in Mathias's businiess i think he has handled everything and everyone in a very considerate, well-mannered way and that's enough to tell us otherwise so im quite gratified to know that he is a respectable person, in his interview they asked him what he wanted to strive for and he said to become an 'adult' so i think in many ways he's maturing in a very delectable way.

yes the idealistic society that it portrays are hard to live up to especially in terms of the fashion industry, they expect full on perfection and im not happy with it myself because this is the kind of example they are exposing to all girls and woman of all ages, i think for me what makes a classy woman is a confident woman....

a friend of mine was telling me about a woman who attended a party whom she spotted a really tall blonde handsome guy in the crowd and she instantly told her friend about him, she wanted to know his martial status and things like that. It turned out he was single, so she decided to give it a shot at this particular guy and get to know him, all of a sudden she mistakenly noticed he was looking at her across the room ....and when she tried to approach him it turned out he wasn't even interested in ther.. he was looking past her keen on another lady behind her. The woman he was interested in didn't come as close as looking gorgeous to the woman who was really interested in him. He noticed how confident she was, the details like how she held her champagne glass and how she smiled and laughed with her friends. I think sometimes it's not always about how you look, it's about feeling great in your own skin, feeling confident is key to anything.

....I don't know about every day life, i think it's just a matter of choosing the right people to hang out with but on the other side you will constantlty get judgemental people outside the lines you normally hang out with . I don't think it's fair to judge people in the first place because only they know their own pain and renunciation to begin with unless you really get to know a person.

Yes i totally agree that you shouldn't put other people on a pedestall regardless of successful status, like you said it would prevent people from meeting people like Mathias someone as extraordinarily amazing as him, and especially those you can really relate to on so many levels.

It's really hard thinking about people who envy your success because then it wouldn't be fair on yourself to limit yourself when everyone feels the need you should stay on the SAME stepping block as they are, i think if you had immense talent and potential to exceed in anything you want in life , the question you really have to ask yourself is are you going to be content with yourself having to worry about people who have certain expectations on you.. i think it's really about taking control in your life and what makes you happy , also to disremember the people who want less of you. Parents for example try and see the postive outlook on the things you want to persue in life so it's that they try to wake you up and see the reality trying to avoid the process of seeing their loved ones hurt so i completey understand that a 100%.

Hmm not many of my girlfriends know much about Mathias, they joke around with me and say "who is my latest admiration , perhaps another french singer" lol...To me Mathias is more an appreciation and respect than admiration i think i really respect mathias, i like to think the the idea of keeping him secretive is more respectful, because nowadays girls talk unseemly about men, you know how it is.

It's kind of odd how Forbes keeps referring to his "signature scar". I mean.. Yes, it's recognizable, but they make it sound like the scar makes Mathias famous, which is really a bit backwards <_< People often notice the scar, but it's not like you can't tell it's him unless you see it. He has an extremely recognizable look, across his Entire face. I don't see how a single scar is that important when you have a face like Mathias, where anyone that's ever seen him will identify him (or at least remember where they saw him before). I mean, I didn't even know who he was a while ago, but I knew it was the same guy I'd seen from a *single* photo shoot months before.

Although they do raise a good point about male models in the industry. But tbh, I don't think it has much to do with men buying the products, as much as one major difference: With female models, girls often look up to them, and are comfortable promoting their image and buying their endorsed products because they think they're attractive, sexy, and/or interesting as people. What man is going to comfortably admit to having a favorite model, endorsing their products, or promoting their name/image? That's considered to be borderline homosexual behavior for many straight men :yuckky: Whereas women are more comfortable around sexy women, and they don't mind saying so!

(at least, in my experience. Women are "beautiful", Men are not nature's idea of beauty, yadda yadda.)

A real shame, imo. But then, I'm not a dude, I can't really relate :blink:

It's advertising Paris the city, that's all...:)

And every editorial a model produced is used to market themselves ;) On a career standpoint for them (Not the clothing) that's pretty much the primary purpose of editorials.

It's advertising Paris the city, that's all...:)

And every editorial a model produced is used to market themselves ;) On a career standpoint for them (Not the clothing) that's pretty much the primary purpose of editorials.

I don't think so. >_>

Career-wise for the models, Sure... but never just to say, "Here's Mathias, buy our magazine" :p There's always a product they're selling, because the models themselves are not deemed important enough to get their own features just based on who they are. It's not like actors or some female superstar models... where their face sells the magazine.

So here I guess the product is Paris? I was just wondering, since all of his clothing says "Paris" like it's a city-based brand name.

I think you misunderstood me -- I did not mean that the sole purpose of an editorial was to market a model, I simply meant models and agencies use editorials to forward their own careers :) Whether he/she is already well-known or not, it's one representation that the model is still active and even in-demand.

If you're just talking about the title being titled the way it was -- it's just up to the editors/photographers to do so. In this case, with Mathias being a well-known figure within the industry, I wouldn't doubt that Doingbird is simply selling itself (The magazine), and declaring that they are able to acquire stars of the industry to appear within their pages. The rest of this issue (As well as Doingbird's past issues) features more prominent female and male models, and that is simply a chosen path for the publication's image. It all shows that it has become an established name within fashion's publishing realm.

If you're talking about the clothing displayed in the editorial -- it's a simple declaration of love for Paris as a fashion capital. Note the captions -- there are still notable brands being showcased. Paris is just a encompassing theme that many familiar with fashion can relate to. When I said "It's advertising Paris the city," what I implied was that the feeling that emerges as you browse through the images is nostalgia in relation to Paris...you are not really thinking about the clothes.