Bellazon

Jessica Gomes
Thumbnail

funnyfan

Article on her from Sunday Times.

Tomboy walks tall

By PETA HELLARD

11sep05

NINE months ago, Jessica Gomes was just another Perth girl doing a bit of modelling on the side for fun.

But after moving to New York on a whim this year, she is the latest WA model to have the international fashion world at her feet.

The 20-year-old shares an apartment with It girl, supermodel Gemma Ward, and counts fashion giants Victoria's Secret and Levi's among her growing list of high-profile campaigns.

It was a case of going from BMX-biking tomboy to bombshell beauty for the Greenmount-raised catwalker, who only took up modelling at her mother's insistence.

"I never thought I'd be a model. I was always looking grubby and grazing my knees riding bikes and playing with my older brother, Nathan," she said.

"Mum thought I was a bit too much of a tomboy and said, `I think you should do some modelling classes'.

"I was always just doing modelling on the side and thinking I'd go to uni, but it was only when I moved to New York that it became serious and made me realise, `Hey, I AM a model'. "

Jessica owes her exotic looks to her father Joe, from Portugal, and Singaporean Chinese mother, Jenny.

She said being chosen to appear alongside supermodels Gisele Bundchen, Heidi Klum, Adriana Lima and Tyra Banks in the latest Victoria's Secret campaign, shot in Miami, had been a huge shock.

"I couldn't believe it

post-133-1127294822_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...