Bellazon

Lais Ribeiro
Thumbnail

Nefertiti

New interviews:

HollywoodLife

Bravo:

http://www.bravotv.com/blogs/the-victorias-secret-angels-get-girl-crushes-too (video)

TeenVogue:

NEWS

An Interview With Victoria's Secret Angel Lais Ribeiro Before VS Show 2016

"You can be different, and it's beautiful, and it should be considered normal." 

jessica-c-andrews-tout%20Cropped.jpg
Jessica AndrewsDEC 5, 2016 7:18PM EST

Getty Images for Victoria's Secret

The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is more inclusive today than it's ever been. For the third time since its inception, a woman of color — Jasmine Tookes — modeled the Fantasy Bra. A record four Chinese models hit the runway for the first time in history. In 2015, Maria Borges became the first model to walk with an Afro. This year saw three models with natural hair, including Jourdana Phillips who shaved her hair a month before the taping. Still, you'd be hard-pressed to find a plus-size or transgender Victoria's Secret model, and there's never been one Asian Victoria's Secret Angel. 

With the most-watched fashion show in the world, Victoria's Secret is in the perfect position to diversify their model cast, and redefine what it means to be sexy and desirable in 2016. That opportunity isn't lost on Lais Ribeiro. Walking in the show for her fifth year, Lais wants women from all backgrounds to feel represented on the VS runway. Ahead of this year's Victoria's Secret Fashion Show (airing at 10/9C on CBS), we sat down with the Brazilian beauty to talk diversity, fitness, and her favorite VS moment of all time. 

Getty Images

Teen Vogue: You've walked major runways before like Gucci, Louis Vuitton and Marc Jacobs. What makes the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show special? Lais Ribeiro: We can get loose and be ourselves. We can be confident and strong — and show off our personality. Sometimes, you get so nervous because you want to prove yourself and with so many people watching, you want to show them who you really are. 

TV: There were some gains in diversity on the Victoria's Secret runway this year with Jasmine Tookes being the third woman of color to wear the Fantasy Bra, and a record four Chinese models walking in the show. How does it feel to see the show evolve in terms of representation? LR: I think Victoria's Secret always got that point. The show features women from every place you can imagine. Victoria's Secret helps to build our confidence up [by sending the message] that you can be different, and it's beautiful, and it should be considered normal. All the viewers look up to us, and we just want to prove to everyone that they can be a part of it also. That's what I love about the brand. 

Getty Images for Victoria's Secret

TV: What is your pre-show routine like? How do you prep? LR: We get together with all the girls, and we work out at the same gym. We love to work out together, and we're contract girls so we have to be ready the whole year. But, of course, it gets more intense before the runway. From boxing to Pilates, it's a little bit of everything so we don't get bored.

ADVERTISEMENT

TV: You've walked in the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show so many times, but were you nervous at all this year? LR: Always. It's my fifth year, it's supposed to be the sixth but I broke my ankle during the rehearsal three years ago and I couldn't walk in the show. Even Adriana [Lima], who's walked 18 years, she looks very confident but before she gets in, she's doing her breathing [exercises]. We all get nervous. It's our moment and so many people are watching so it's a lot of pressure.

WireImage

TV: How do you calm those nerves? LR: By hanging out with the girls that I work with the whole year and trying to think about good things like my son and my family watching. I get very emotional seeing them watching in the audience. I just remember to breathe. And whatever happens, happens on the runway.

TV: You mentioned Adriana Lima. What's the best advice you've received from VS Fashion Show vets? LR: Adriana always told me to just be myself and to not be so hard on myself.

TV: Do you have a favorite VS Show moment of all time? LR: The year after I twisted my ankle because they did a special and explained to everyone why I didn't walk in the show, and it was very emotional. The whole segment was about me so I loved it. 

The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show will air on Monday, December 5 on CBS at 10/9C.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/victorias-secret-fashion-show-diversity-lais-ribeiro-interview-vs-show-2016