Bellazon

Moral dilemma.

schadenfreude

NO..they shouldnt....i hate to see ppl beating thir kids for every single reason and worse is when they beatup them in public places..i've seen such cases where dad is slapping his or her daughter only bcoz they were little stubborn and were asking for something...the more you will punish the more they will become criminal..i never got beatings from my parents see how proud and full of life person i'm :laugh: ....joking apart big NO....

NO..they shouldnt....i hate to see ppl beating thir kids for every single reason and worse is when they beatup them in public places..i've seen such cases where dad is slapping his or her daughter only bcoz they were little stubborn and were asking for something...the more you will punish the more they will become criminal..i never got beatings from my parents see how proud and full of life person i'm :laugh: ....joking apart big NO....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i got spanked twice in my life. oh yeah i'm sooooo messed up.

heidegger said punish...not beat or even hit...big difference...i dont think he intended this to be a discussion about hitting your kids

Punish or beating is more or less same...i just talked about my experience Nicole i see beatings is kindda punishment...yes punishment can be not giving them pocket money,not buying stuff for them,locking them in the room not alowing them to meet thir freinds snacth thri games bla bla endless...so beating is actualy one of the branch of punishment and is the worst..so i just mentioned...

i realy donno what kind of punishemnt heidegger is talking about... ;)

hehe..you were spankled lol!!! funny :laugh:

yes, i know beating a form of punishment. i'm just not sure heidegger's intent was about beating tho. i mean i think its pretty clear u shouldnt beat your kids....but whats not as clear is should u punish ur kids if they do something bad but dont know the difference btwn right and wrong? i think thats what he was asking...but then again...its heidegger...who knows? :laugh:

and yeah...i was spanked ... not funny!!!!!!! :p

Punishment can take many forms, scolding, beating, or even removing the child's toy or locking the child in a room.

The purpose of punishment is to make the child realise the child has done wrong. If a child does not understand what's good or bad and does not have any moral guideline whatsoever, and what the child does is just disobeying the parent's order, should the child be punished for disobeying? I know some people here take psychology courses, so please answer this question.

how old is the child in question?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Child is not old enough to understand what is good or bad.

But the child is perfectly normal, not retarded or mentally impaired.

The child has been told to not or to do something, but the child disobeys.

For example, you tell the child not to eat the candy on the table, but the child eat it.

It really depends how you want to raise your child in my opinion.

I'm getting the idea that the kid in question may not be very developed so I'm going to approach this question from a behaviourist point of view rathan than, say, reasoning with the kid.

I think Zara is equating positive punishment with punishment in general, which is not the case as Heidegger mentioned. There are different forms of reinforcement: punishment and rewards. These can be split into two more general categories: negative and positive.

Positive punishment: is what Zara is thinking of. It involves punishment by adding something, say spanking the child, or in the case of the lab, electirc shocks.

Negative punishment: punishing the child by depriving them of something e.g. time-outs, or sending them to their room, depriving them of their weekly allowance and so forth.

Positive Reward: rewarding a child by giving them something, e.g. money or candy

Negative Reward: rewarding the child by taking something away, e.g. lifting a ban

So how do you want to raise your child?

Evidence shows that punishment can be effective, but there are alternatives to punishment which are just as effective, if not more. So the ethical question is 'why should you resort to punishment?' There is no real need for it, in the science lab or at home. There is however, an exception. I think that the exception is time. Serious punishment (in the forms of spanking, not abuse, just constructive spanking) can be implemented to teach a child what they have done wrong, if you want to get the message across fast. For example, say they just ran across a busy road and nearly died, you would want to punish them then because these are cases of life and death and rewarding them slowly might not save their ass before they try to pull that shit off again.

The real world isn't so simple. If you're not a tolerant person, and you're constantly under stress, e.g. your kids are out of control, it is very hard to control yourself. Personally, I'd go with the good cop bad cop routine, where one parent is easy on the kid, one is stricter, that way they can always compromise on the punishment.

Rewards work well with children, but if you're one for a strict policy then you have to know how and when to implement punishment, because it only works under certain conditions, and normally in real life, you won't be able to carry out these conditions unless you're around your child 24/7 (which is normally the first few years, which also coincides with the period of most stress ;) )

Hopefully that indirectly answered any questions anyone may have, and if they have any further questions, be sure to contact me at:

whydon'[email protected]

[/essay]

Personally, I'd go with the good cop bad cop routine, where one parent is easy on the kid, one is stricter, that way they can always compromise on the punishment.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The good cop, bad cop. The CIA way to break make the child or anyone more cooperative. This is one of the most successful method for interrogation, where one interrogator is nasty, while the other is nice. After being treated badly by one of the interrogator, a person will involuntarily warm up to the kindness of the other interrogator, and will be more cooperative throughout the interrogation process.

Your email?

whydon'[email protected]

Yes, there's also the prinsoner's dilemma ;)

that's why they interview each person separately.

and my email was there because I don't want to answer any questions about my "essay" <_<

but since I just answered yours I guess I should resign myself to jumping off a bridge :laugh: