Bellazon

Cara Delevingne
Thumbnail

allus6ka

post-42006-0-1446096330-42028_thumb.jpg

03.07.13  / The Face    
Cara Delevingne

It's been a seriously big year for Cara Delevingne. Scratch that: it still is a seriously big year for Cara Delevingne. She came seemingly out of nowhere a couple seasons ago, and now you can't scroll through a fashion week street-style slideshow in the world without hitting a pic of her comely crossed-eyes (stuck-out tongue, optional). This season, she's walked in what seems like maybe every show and out-walked every other model (if you feel like tallying, go for it), which is not to mention the Burberry, Chanel, H&M, Dominic Jones, DKNY, Zara, Pepe Jeans, My Crazy Scrunchie, and Blumarine campaigns she's got under her belt. Or, you know, her covers of LOVE, Style.com/Print, Vogue UK, i-D, Russh, Jalouse, and  Vogue Italia Beauty. What we're trying to say is: girl's been busy. We caught up with the 20-year-old Brit (who BuzzFeed dubbed "the Jennifer Lawrence of models") backstage at Stella McCartney:

"I turned twenty in August. I’m old! [Laughs] I started modeling when I was nearly eighteen so I've been doing it for three years. I was modeling for at least a year or two before anything happened, before I started booking shows—I was doing Asos in London and Clark’s, little tiny jobs just to make a little money to go traveling and act and stuff. In general, I want to act and I want to do music; I don’t want to do this forever. Fuck no! [Laughs] I had a really small part in Anna Karenina. A lot of people said they were shocked when they saw me in it, and I love that.

I have the most fun at shows when I am able to just be myself, having fun, joking around, just being cheeky and myself. Usually, at shows I’m kind of acting and trying to be a certain type of woman that the designer wants. I’m actually better at being other people than myself, I think. I don’t know. Actually, that’s not true, the thing is when I’m doing this type of thing, I talk to people and the nervous energy just makes it so that I can’t stop speaking. It’s what I do in auditions; I get really scared and I just talk, talk, talk. It’s a nightmare. My friend calls me Chatty Cathy.

I literally sleep anywhere. At home in my bed, at the shows getting my makeup done, wherever. I sleep standing up. I’ve just developed narcolepsy now; it’s really weird. I definitely didn’t have it when I was younger—I always had insomnia—but now I can just kind of pass out. If I were sitting in this chair for longer, I would pass out right here. I’m so ready to go on holiday—I really want to go to the Dead Sea. But it’s been an amazing, amazing season and I’m so lucky to do the shows I’m doing. Everything is just really crazy: London was too much. Well, not too much, but so many shows. Four shows a day, and in-between all of that, getting mobbed by people... Fans are amazing, and London is where I’m from—and English kids, you know, just understand each other—so London is where I have the biggest base, I guess.

I think it’s the relationships that I’ve made [that have helped my career a lot]. Katie [Grand, editor in chief of LOVE] will hire me because we’re good friends; we work really well together. When I do shoots and when I do shows, you see me being crazy, you see me being fun, and everyone’s like, ‘How the hell can she model?’ but when I do it, I am very professional—I don’t really seem like the most professional person, but when I’m working I take it very seriously. It’s a job and it’s a part, a character. When I’m on set, I’m in that kind of mode. It’s different.

I’m tiny for runway! I’m 5’8” or 5’7”. I have no clue how I worked around it, to be honest. Still, it depends—a lot of people still tell me that I’m too short. It’s one of the biggest problems that I have to face, being too small. And whatever, they can decide that, but I don’t think height matters. I think it matters how you look in the clothes and how you pull them off."

—as told to ITG

Cara Delevingne photographed by Emily Weiss in Paris on March 4th, 2013.
Source: intothegloss.com