Bellazon

Cycling

blurdk

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Bernal still keeping the Maglia Rosa, though Vlasov is indeed quite close.

As a South American I'm definitely rooting for Bernal :chicken::chicken::chicken:

It feels like anyone hoping to win will have to do something special now. If they're waiting for Bernal to crack, I think they'll be waiting a long time.

40 minutes ago, Michael* said:

It feels like anyone hoping to win will have to do something special now. If they're waiting for Bernal to crack, I think they'll be waiting a long time.

So it seems! Tomorrow's stage will surely be interesting with the climbs it has.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:30 AM, SympathysSilhouette said:

Evenepoel really disappointed. Unlike many Belgians I did not believe he was going to win this year. I did think he might manage a top ten finish, but even that now looks very unlikely.

Evenepoel, thoughts arrive like butterflies (with apologies). Obviously, he's not going to get back into contention this time, but I look forward to seeing what the future holds. He seems to have something about him, a touch of arrogance or showmanship perhaps. Whatever it is, it works for him.

Not that we saw a great deal of the proceedings yesterday, but that was the second mountain stage where Bernal has simply annihilated the field. Given what he said about enjoying the conditions, it would have been interesting to see if he could have taken more time from the other contenders or if having the original route would have favoured Carthy, who didn't appear to want the race shortened.

Great performance by Bardet, too.

First signs of fallibility in Bernal today. Tomorrow probably won't bring much change, but there's a chance we might see a shake-up on Friday and Saturday.

Thrilled for Dan Martin, although there can't be many more frustrating riders out there. Listed as a favourite for every GT only to struggle with the expectation, then goes and produces a ride like that.

7 minutes ago, Michael* said:

First signs of fallibility in Bernal today.

I definitely wasn't expecting that!

Yates did quite the attack today... I thought Bernal would have no trouble following him but oh I was wrong.

Things will definitely be interesting by the end of the week.

whoa, blast from the past. Interesting timing as I'm trying to get back into cycling. Got one of those Marcy Ryders to put these legs and body through the paces and back into shape without embarrassing myself, and I've been eyeballing some bikes. Suggestions? I got a pretty wide variety of places to bike around where I live now.

As expected, today's stage was more or less an unofficial rest day for the GC contenders. The most danger Bernal had to guard against was probably falling asleep at the wheel, but tomorrow's summit finish should be another chance for rivals to test him.

On 5/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, Michael* said:

The most danger Bernal had to guard against was probably falling asleep at the wheel,

:rofl: 

On 5/27/2021 at 3:19 PM, Michael* said:

but tomorrow's summit finish should be another chance for rivals to test him.

And indeed it was! :chicken: 

Seems like Yates (maybe Almeida too?) will be the biggest threat for Bernal on these last 2 days.

8 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Seems like Yates (maybe Almeida too?) will be the biggest threat for Bernal on these last 2 days.

I must confess, I thought Bernal looked pretty comfortable at the end there, he did the sensible thing and trusted that Yates, after his jump, would ride at more or less the same tempo. Having said that, if Yates can close the gap to a minute or less today, there's a chance he could be a danger in the TT.

What a strange race it's been for DQS. I could see Almeida finishing fourth or even getting on the podium, perhaps depending on how it goes for Caruso. Either way, it's great fun to see the race still so open at Stage 20.

6 hours ago, Michael* said:

I must confess, I thought Bernal looked pretty comfortable at the end there, he did the sensible thing and trusted that Yates, after his jump, would ride at more or less the same tempo. Having said that, if Yates can close the gap to a minute or less today, there's a chance he could be a danger in the TT.

What a strange race it's been for DQS. I could see Almeida finishing fourth or even getting on the podium, perhaps depending on how it goes for Caruso. Either way, it's great fun to see the race still so open at Stage 20.

Yates couldn't reduce the gap but it increased instead :chicken: 

I guess there's still room for surprises tomorrow but it seems unlikely at this point. I think only Caruso could now represent any danger to Bernal?

4 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Yates couldn't reduce the gap but it increased instead :chicken: 

I guess there's still room for surprises tomorrow but it seems unlikely at this point. I think only Caruso could now represent any danger to Bernal?

Yeah, we didn't really get the fireworks we were expecting in the GC, but a show of strength from Bernal instead. In terms of individual efforts though that was dynamite from Caruso and Martinez.

On a side note, I find it impossible to believe that the riders are in any way happy about having crazy fans running around the roadsides brandishing chainsaws. They may be the loveliest blokes in the world, but just no. :no:

30 minutes ago, Michael* said:

On a side note, I find it impossible to believe that the riders are in any way happy about having crazy fans running around the roadsides brandishing chainsaws. They may be the loveliest blokes in the world, but just no. :no:

Oooh right, the chainsaw thing :ninja: 

wtf is wrong with some people :rofl: 

31 minutes ago, Michael* said:

Yeah, we didn't really get the fireworks we were expecting in the GC, but a show of strength from Bernal instead. In terms of individual efforts though that was dynamite from Caruso and Martinez.

Martínez has been super constant and I think it's not an exaggeration to say he has been Bernal's savior.

Caruso today was impeccable!

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

Bernal is the real deal. A very impressive win, especially given his back injury. Bravo.

Impressive indeed. What a race he had!

Another thing I found impressive today were Ganna and Cavagna's times even after a flat tire and a fall respectively :chicken: 

On 5/26/2021 at 10:39 PM, babranski said:

whoa, blast from the past. Interesting timing as I'm trying to get back into cycling. Got one of those Marcy Ryders to put these legs and body through the paces and back into shape without embarrassing myself, and I've been eyeballing some bikes. Suggestions? I got a pretty wide variety of places to bike around where I live now.

I know for me, because until last April I hadn't ridden for many years and wasn't sure if it was something I would stick with, it made more sense to buy a "budget" hybrid, but I'd now quite like to upgrade to something that will really last.

Usually though, I have a moment before buying something online that leads me to try and read more, then I procrastinate, look at other bikes, get confused and end up missing out altogether. :rofl:

On 5/30/2021 at 8:31 PM, Stormbringer said:

Another thing I found impressive today were Ganna and Cavagna's times even after a flat tire and a fall respectively :chicken: 

Must have been pretty disheartening for the ones that were going for the stage win, especially after watching Ganna kill himself at the front of the peloton for practically half the race. :rofl: