Bellazon

Cycling

blurdk

1 hour ago, Michael* said:

I did too. I'd guess the consensus will be that Roglic attacked too early, but he must have known that he needed a long punch to have a chance of winning. This is a race that seems tailor made for Alaphilippe, though. Five starts, twice second, three wins. Just absolutely mind-boggling.

The "attacking too early" makes me think of the couple of times this season when Van Der Poel attacked too late :rofl: 

18 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

The "attacking too early" makes me think of the couple of times this season when Van Der Poel attacked too late :rofl: 

Yeah, Van Der Poel doesn't seem to have a clear sense of where his limits are, although I will admit to sort of loving him for that. It's never less than entertaining to watch him.

14 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Like on that agonic win ate stage 5 of the Tirreno-Adriatico :rofl: 

It was nothing short of amazing though.

That really was one of the most epic rides of recent years, with Van Der Poel, Van Aert and Pogacar all giving every last scrap of energy. Overall, I'd say Pogacar is preparing perfectly to defend his Tour de France title.

Incidentally, the Tirreno-Adriatico boasts probably my favourite trophy in the entire sporting world. So ideal for socially distanced dining. :rofl:

On 4/25/2021 at 5:43 PM, Stormbringer said:

Quite the finish at the Liège Bastogne Liège! :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken: 

It feels like Liege-Bastogne-Liege is going to be great for at least the next few years. The change in the course and the generation of riders we've got at the moment just seems like a perfect storm.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

And so it starts El Giro :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken: 

I have to say, I do like when they kick things off with a time trial. Gaps from the start and sometimes support riders end up as team leaders.

Ganna is just absolutely beastly though, the power and precision of his performance made the opening stage.

4 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Epic win by Van der Hoorn :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken:   

I think I'm right in thinking that he was without a contract just five months ago, absolutely insane what Van Der Hoorn has done to reach this point.

Attention will turn now to tomorrow, where we can reasonably expect to see major changes in the overall standings for the first time since the opening stage.

Lovely attack out of the break from Lafay today, he looked as fresh as a daisy. :laugh:

Overall, it seems to be teetering on the edge of becoming a fascinating race. I'm expecting an explosion tomorrow and looking forward to Stage 14 and the Zoncolan.

1 hour ago, Stormbringer said:

Well, I saw that today's stage ending was amazing and I missed it :banghead: 

Without wishing to rub it in, it really was some finish. Breathtaking the way Bernal just sailed past the breakaway pair on the gravel, I've not seen that kind of explosiveness from him before.

Things should settle down a bit tomorrow and then a well-earned rest day before the fun continues.

16 hours ago, Michael* said:

Without wishing to rub it in, it really was some finish. Breathtaking the way Bernal just sailed past the breakaway pair on the gravel, I've not seen that kind of explosiveness from him before.

I just saw the last Km and what an incredible attack he did!! :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken: 

It kinda hurts more to have missed it now :rofl: 

The argument between Brambilla and Bennett was crazy today. Brambilla had gotten through tons of work and lost it because he was in a grump with Bennett, who would have had next to no chance of beating the others in a sprint.

Overall, it looks like it's Bernal's to lose, but Vlasov and Carthy are still lurking and I'm expecting a tilt from Yates at some stage.

16 hours ago, Michael* said:

The argument between Brambilla and Bennett was crazy today. Brambilla had gotten through tons of work and lost it because he was in a grump with Bennett, who would have had next to no chance of beating the others in a sprint.

I missed this!

Bernal still keeping the Maglia Rosa, though Vlasov is indeed quite close.

As a South American I'm definitely rooting for Bernal :chicken::chicken::chicken:  

And incredible attack by Nizzolo today! Though seeing the replays, it looked like a rather dangerous maneuvering on the last meters :ninja: 

3 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

And incredible attack by Nizzolo today! Though seeing the replays, it looked like a rather dangerous maneuvering on the last meters :ninja:

A fairly routine flat stage I thought, but luckily came alive in the last kilometre. Great to see Nizzolo finally take a win though, I do like it when the smaller teams get a bit of glory.