Jump to content
Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP


Recommended Posts

The Wolf Boss originates in IIRC, Dark Souls one.  The one in Ariendel is the best version of the Boss.  The Ape Boss in Sekiro is terrific, probably the best of them all.

 

Bloodborne is the most horror based souls like him he made- I shouldn't spoil it but there are a lot of disgusting things like the insects in that game.  Many of the bosses are very sick, too.  Overall, this game has- arguably- the most impressive lore. 

 

IMHO the lack of dialogue/cutscenes in Miyazaki's games come across as a big cost saving measure.  It's like his games are VERY streamlined for optimal gameplay and he purposely cut it out.  Sekiro had the most narrative integrated which is unusual for Miyazaki.  Also, if you look closely FROMSOFT reuses assets, like certain enemies/bosses have mixtures of elements previously used.  Another cost saving device to increase diversity.

 

Ambiguity is pretty much taught in storytelling 101.  Also the ending of a story should have some ambiguity/loose ends as well.  Without this mystery, there is little hype for the next game in the series.

 

  Also in real life, when people experience new adventures and drama and so forth, things aren't all conveniently there in a linear fashion .  There is a lot of speculation and questioning, and searching.  A lot of wrong doors and so forth.   Miyazaki's design philosophy is so anti-narrative that it requires internet communities to crowdsource lol.  Maybe he wants to build up hype?  The Soulsborne franchise is truly Sphinx like.

 

I agree with you about Witcher 3.  It's just the best overall.  Souls has much better combat gameplay though.  Hopefully Witcher 4 will be redeeming factor for CD Red

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I also forgot another Souls-like game.  This game is the most similar to Souls and was made by an indie developer.  They did a good job, it's short and lower tech but still an interesting take. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I also forgot another Souls-like game.  This game is the most similar to Souls and was made by an indie developer.  They did a good job, it's short and lower tech but still an interesting take. 

 

 

Oh, that one looks cool! I dunno why I didn't hear of it before. I like it. It costs 30€ (cause they say it's a 25 hour game). I'll definitely add it to my list.

 

It definitely feels like a Souls game!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you checked Remnant: from the ashes? I've played it last year. It's a good game, a souls-like but mostly focused on ranged weapons. It's a very enjoyable gameplay (the lifespan is a bit short though). It has even less lore than DS3 (there's hidden lore too, but not so much). I definitely missed some lore (anyway it's a small studio, so it's still amazing to see what they could do with a lower budget).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

 

Oh, that one looks cool! I dunno why I didn't hear of it before. I like it. It costs 30€ (cause they say it's a 25 hour game). I'll definitely add it to my list.

 

It definitely feels like a Souls game!

 

Oh no, it's not a 25 hour game.  It's a lot shorter than DS3.  One playthrough is about the size of the two DS3 DLCs put together.  More like a 6, 7 hour game.   Yea it should give more content to scratch the souls itch.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Have you checked Remnant: from the ashes? I've played it last year. It's a good game, a souls-like but mostly focused on ranged weapons. It's a very enjoyable gameplay (the lifespan is a bit short though). It has even less lore than DS3 (there's hidden lore too, but not so much). I definitely missed some lore (anyway it's a small studio, so it's still amazing to see what they could do with a lower budget).

 

 

I heard of it but I haven't really looked at it yet.  The gameplay reminds me of the excellent old school game, Freedom fighters.  I played that many times back in the day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

 

Oh no, it's not a 25 hour game.  It's a lot shorter than DS3.  One playthrough is about the size of the two DS3 DLCs put together.  More like a 6, 7 hour game.   Yea it should give more content to scratch the souls itch.  

 

7 hours for 25€? Hmm, that's expensive. I'll look if I can find a better deal. What's the replay value of the title? (cause with DS3, I've played it a ton even after I finished the game for the 1st time)

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

 

7 hours for 25€? Hmm, that's expensive. I'll look if I can find a better deal. What's the replay value of the title? (cause with DS3, I've played it a ton even after I finished the game for the 1st time)

 

probably play it  twice- 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...