Great Grandpa - William & Adrianus

Great Great Grandpa - Cornelis & Huijbert

Great Great Grandpa - Arthur & Littleton

Uncle Chuck, Tony & Byron

Aunt - Nancy

Cousins - Aaron & Brandy

Father in Law - Mike

Brother in Law - Brad

Brother's John and John (yes I have two brothers named John)

..... for your countless years of service in the Army, Navy, Marines, and Marines. Thank you for fighting for America, and the World. From the Civil War, to WW2, to Vietnam, to the Gulf War, and everything in between... You are loved, you are cherished, and you will never be forgotten ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

Cvlx2QD.png

NOxCPzz.jpg

NfBd1WO.png

Many people believe that TikTok is China's revenge for the Opium wars (where the UK fought the Chinese to keep selling Opium to their people).

I believe they're right... And the modern opium is strong. :Amelie_wft:

Chinese apps remain hugely popular in the U.S. despite efforts to ban TikTok

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/05/29/chinese-apps-remain-popular-in-the-us-despite-efforts-to-ban-tiktok.html

16 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Many people believe that TikTok is China's revenge for the Opium wars (where the UK fought the Chinese to keep selling Opium to their people).

I believe they're right... And the modern opium is strong. :Amelie_wft:

I tried putting a couple videos  (with hashtags) on tiktok and got very few views. (avg only 10 each)

5 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

I tried putting a couple videos  (with hashtags) on tiktok and got very few views. (avg only 10 each)

If you want to generate views, don't make something interesting, smart or profound. Make something dumb that generates strong emotions (outrage, fear, joy, compassion, etc.)

Social media (especially the opioid called Tiktok) operate on emotions and major neuromodulators (dopamine mostly).

29 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

If you want to generate views, don't make something interesting, smart or profound. Make something dumb that generates strong emotions (outrage, fear, joy, compassion, etc.)

Social media (especially the opioid called Tiktok) operate on emotions and major neuromodulators (dopamine mostly).

I haven't had interest in Tiktok yet.  I only know through research that is strongly focused on keywords.  I take it that you don't like tiktok?

I find myself uninterested in it because there is no control over the content.  The algorithm just recommends stuff that it thinks you may like. I am a person who doesn't like watching TV and often doesn't like to watch most things from beginning to end as I get very impatient.  I want to control my experience and leave when I've had enough.

I was trying to use it for advertising (info-mercial) but over the past week it hasn't really worked.

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

still my favorite teaser trailer ever:

I was never a huge fan of superman. Maybe because he's too OP. Or because he's not "knight" material.

I like knights' tales: the Dark Knight, the Jedi Knights, the Witcher knights, etc.

Maybe I should give it a try again. I used to watch the Superman series when I was younger (and I liked Teri Hatcher - she was cute back then...)

17 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I was never a huge fan of superman. Maybe because he's too OP. Or because he's not "knight" material.

I like knights' tales: the Dark Knight, the Jedi Knights, the Witcher knights, etc.

Maybe I should give it a try again. I used to watch the Superman series when I was younger (and I liked Teri Hatcher - she was cute back then...)

The superman's enemies and peers are also OP (intergalactic or god-like creatures) in the comics.

He's a bit of a basic superhero, not very interesting as a person.

I like the trailer mainly because of the idealistic themes, the movie itself was good but had a bunch of small flaws.  It's very much the themes that kids that grow up in the 1990s believed in.  Seems a thousand years ago.  But it's really the stuff that we wished we could live up to.

In a way Superman is the WW2/baby boomer generation's superhero, rather naive and from much more simple times.

In novels, Geralt receives his knighthood (of Riveria) on the battlefield. This is alluded to in the Tourney in blood and wine and it appeared in the spin off game (from the novels):

5 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

@Enrico_sw  why is superman not knight material to you?

I'm not an expert in superman, but I think he's too powerful and doesn't have enough hardships/struggles to overcome. His main ennemies are Lex Luthor (a billionaire that looks like Jeff Bezos) and his alien siblings. They don't look much as a challenge.

Batman has to go through very difficult hardships and his ennemies are very powerful and charismatic. All of the villains are memorable and very dangerous, even if they don't win in the end.

The challenges/struggles are what makes the knight.

The superman's enemies and peers are also OP (intergalactic or god-like creatures) in the comics.

He's a bit of a basic superhero, not very interesting as a person.

I like the trailer mainly because of the idealistic themes, the movie itself was good but had a bunch of small flaws.  It's very much the themes that kids that grow up in the 1990s believed in.  Seems a thousand years ago.  But it's really the stuff that we wished we could live up to.

In a way Superman is the WW2/baby boomer generation's superhero, rather naive and from much more simple times.

In novels, Geralt receives his knighthood (of Riveria) on the battlefield. This is alluded to in the Tourney in blood and wine and it appeared in the spin off game (from the novels):

Meve is a really good "strong female character", unlike most of what Hollywood has produced in the past decade. She has merits and she is followed because of her actions, not just because she's a woman.

She's not a Mary Sue and she has strong principles, she's not a superficial character like Captain Marvel, Michael Burnham and all these very forgettable characters.

Polish and Japanese writers are way better than American writers now (the Murican writers might get replaced by AI pretty soon :laugh:)

On 6/3/2023 at 6:09 PM, Enrico_sw said:

@Cult Icon What are your favorite knights' tales? (regardless of the context: it can be historical, fantasy, modern, futuristic, sci-fi, etc.)

I'd have to think on that one.  Witcher is the gold standard for me.  The Nolan Dark Knight trilogy was great and completely fit the classical mold of heroes' journey. 

I think Star wars & Luke skywalker was a lost opportunity.  Luke Skywalker could have become legendary if the sequels were well made. 

The last character that struck me as outstanding was Ragner (Travis Fimmel) from Vikings.  This character's journey was in far greater depth and detail than normal, I think Ragner was much deeper and better than any of the characters in Game of Thrones TBH.

'spoilers' - not really though.

I'd have to think on that one.  Witcher is the gold standard for me.  The Nolan Dark Knight trilogy was great and completely fit the classical mold of heroes' journey. 

Agreed on both of these.

I think Star wars & Luke skywalker was a lost opportunity.  Luke Skywalker could have become legendary if the sequels were well made. 

Lucas put a lot of himself in Luke. When Kennedy inherited the franchise, she wanted to erase Lucas' legacy to build her own (which she didn't mange to do in the end).  Metaphorically, you can see it as Brutus stabbing Caesar. Betrayal is the tool of those who have ambition, but lack the legit means to fulfill them.

Cal Kestis has a great hero's journey in Jedi: Survivor. This game is not perfect, but, in terms of story telling, it's got nearly everything. I love this game.

The last character that struck me as outstanding was Ragner (Travis Fimmel) from Vikings.  This character's journey was in far greater depth and detail than normal, I think Ragner was much deeper and better than any of the characters in Game of Thrones TBH.

I don't know much about this show (thought I heard of it many times).

On 6/3/2023 at 4:41 PM, Enrico_sw said:

I'm not an expert in superman, but I think he's too powerful and doesn't have enough hardships/struggles to overcome. His main ennemies are Lex Luthor (a billionaire that looks like Jeff Bezos) and his alien siblings. They don't look much as a challenge.

Batman has to go through very difficult hardships and his ennemies are very powerful and charismatic. All of the villains are memorable and very dangerous, even if they don't win in the end.

The challenges/struggles are what makes the knight.

Nolan's batman films are really great, and it's amazing that he was able to film something that complex about superheros and make it believable.  Have you played Arkham City? It's a great game and also very well written lore-wise and in depth.

The Superman comics go more in-depth, I think one of the issues with Superman is his loneliness and purpose (as he is basically a god).  Overall I prefer Batman too.

Ragner Lothbrok in Vikings has the classical heroes' journey not just in his actions but in his internal struggle.  Not everyone liked the road he took in Season 4 but I think it was right for him and he makes his final choices.

This is one of the best Superman comics I've come across (also made into a cartoon movie):

Superman: Red Son - Wikipedia

24 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Lucas put a lot of himself in Luke. When Kennedy inherited the franchise, she wanted to erase Lucas' legacy to build her own (which she didn't mange to do in the end).  Metaphorically, you can see it as Brutus stabbing Caesar. Betrayal is the tool of those who have ambition, but lack the legit means to fulfill them.

Cal Kestis has a great hero's journey in Jedi: Survivor. This game is not perfect, but, in terms of story telling, it's got nearly everything. I love this game.

With Luke Skywalker, his heroes' journey was not over at the end of "Return of the Jedi".  He won at the end but there is still the struggles of middle age and old age and what to change and what to do.  There is a lot of stories to tell.

The sequels could have been about that, but instead they ruined it by essentially doing a woke re-boot.

I'm appreciating the prequels more these days.