Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

19 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

This mess happened because politicians crippled the police (remember "defund the police"). Journalists at CNN and MSNBC are rich people who can afford private security, so they don't understand that modest people need the police.

I'm not American so I don't have a dog in this fight. If they see untrained teenagers patrolling the streets whilst heavily armed as a favorable outcome, so be it.

But the idea that U.S. police forces are not properly funded is absurd. They are among the best funded law enforcement in the entire world.

The LAPD alone has a budget for 2021-2022 of 1.76 billion USD. That's more than a third of Belgium's defense budget. No other police forces in the world have this kind of funding.

20 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I'm not American so I don't have a dog in this fight. If they see untrained teenagers patrolling the streets whilst heavily armed as a favorable outcome, so be it.

But the idea that U.S. police forces are not properly funded is absurd. They are among the best funded law enforcement in the entire world.

Policemen in the US have a middle class lifestyle..  Funding levels differ widely of course from region to region, it's a big country.  A small town or areas of low crime would have a smaller police force.  NYC has the budget of several states and its police force is funded to a higher scale.

The price of the second amendment (to protect against the future Chinese/Russian/Alien invasion and communist takeover) is a large number of daily murders and occasional school shootings.  People are killed in NYC (alone) everyday from shootings, usually caused by criminal activity or anger, the local news covers some of the murders that happen everyday : D

8 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I said precisely the opposite: the favorable outcome is having police patrolling the streets.  You're caricaturing: nobody said they want teenage patrols in the streets. No offence, but it's another straw-man argument fabricated by media outrage. :ermm:

8 minutes ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

The LAPD alone has a budget for 2021-2022 of 1.76 billion USD. That's more than a third of Belgium's defense budget. No other police forces in the world have this kind of funding.

Belgium is a small country. Also, why do you compare police spending with defence budget? It's apple and oranges. Defence budgets are typically lower than police in the West.

What matters is the comparison of spendings on "public order and safety" expressed as a % of GDP. It's around 2% in Europe (1.8% in Belgium) and it's the same in the USA. BTW, even if it was higher in the USA, I would understand it: the violence is rising in this country.

(Sources if you want to see for yourself: here and here)

On 11/13/2021 at 1:52 AM, CandleVixen said:

I’m back bitches!! :Ophelia_Immortal:

(a bit of a babble to tell my lymphoma tale. I stayed away because I wanted all of my energies to combat this monster)

I have what is be known as Follicular Lymphoma. It tends to go into remission and comes back sometime later. It was at stage 3 when we found it. Which was  almost all of the nodes in my body enlarged and not looking good. 

When the Dr told me I’d lose my hair, I countered with “it will grow back”. When he said I’d lose weight, I said “good I can stand to lose some weight”. When he said that since my lymphoma was aggressive, he wanted to treat it aggressively. That it would take a cocktail of three treatments, one at a time. And it could last until just into January.  

When he asked Hubs and I if we were ok with it, I surprised myself by saying, “no, I’m not ok with it,  but if it needs to be done, let’s get it started.” It was a very adult thing to say, I surprised myself. So, that night they started My first chemo. It was on my 26th anniversary with Hubs. It was the best and worst day this year. 

Each time I would go in for chemo, which was every three weeks, my labs would improve. And the nodes would be smaller. Finally, in mid October the nodes couldn’t be detected by physical exams. I surprised my oncology team because  I was responding to the treatments very, very well. I had minimal side effects. 

A PET scan was ordered first part of October, and when we saw the Dr, he was really happy and surprised that there were NO nodes detected on the scans! My bloodwork has steadily improved and stabilized. Yea!!!!! This was after just a few treatments, y’all!! 

The Dr scheduled three more rounds of chemo and today was the last one!! 

I’m to get another PET scan in mid December sometime and a follow up appointment with the oncologist, with labs.  If it’s all clear, then I’ll go to getting one of the chemos every two months for about two years to help to keep the lymphoma in remission. Because this type of cancer can come back. 

The funniest thing was that I lost about 3/4 of my hair in about 4 days.  When I woke up one morning, I had my grandpa’s hair from about 1977! Two side bits, and a front bit. I got it skinned down really quickly and have been keeping it so. I’ve taken to wearing round, seamless scarves to cover the old dome. 
I’ve got some wigs, and some more coming to help with the colder months until my hair gets  long enough to actually wear. 

When I found out my diagnosis, I was very, very calm. Coming to terms that I have cancer has been surreal, and most of the times I’m ok with it. Acceptance is there, I merely have days where I wonder wtf?

Aside from most of my hair on my body being gone, I also lost just a bit over 40 pounds. I’m loving that. I would lose a few pounds between treatments. I told them I am low key loving that I lost the weight and I want to keep it that way! Hell of a way to lose it, I don’t recommend it at all though.

Alright I have typed enough for this morning. I bid you peace.

6BE40739-2799-40B0-9A31-07976E2FBD5F.jpeg 6DBF05DD-62D6-41DD-ADB5-7F80FC7225CC.jpeg AFB354F2-3DF9-4A8C-A88F-95E66D5645EB.jpeg E72AA1E2-75DD-404F-BCE4-F6A6E3B554DD.jpeg

Glad you're back and everything's good!

18 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

We loved this movie! It covered quite a bit, and it didn’t feel like it was as long as it is. 

We can’t wait for the second part, and I hope it makes enough bank to continue the tales. 

After seeing the sci-fi channel’s two miniseries I tried reading three of the books. To me they just were not my particular type of sci-fi I enjoy reading. 

In David Lynch’s movie, the four hour cut, I thought about getting the book and read it but decided against it. 

I have high hopes for the second part too! I've never read the books, but I like how he took many "medieval fantasy" tropes and applied them to sci-fi. Lucas did the same with Star Wars, but the result is quite different. SW is a really hopeful story, while Dune seems to be darker. The political framework seems to be different too: Lucas played with the idea of the resistance against an empire (which somehow echoes to WW2), while Dune is about feudal clans/houses within an empire. I like this idea too. Knighthood (or Samurai) is always present in these stories and I love it.

I'm playing dragon age inquisition at the moment, and I like the political setting in this world too!

19 minutes ago, Prettyphile said:

What’s on Allen’s laptop?

Ultra-moral ideologies often attract wolves in sheep's clothing.

It's always good to beware of people that aggressively claim the moral high ground (doesn't mean they're always bad, but more often than not they are).

Woke is a perfect cover: for a company to hide their shady business, for a politician to attract rage votes and for some crazies to hide their shortcomings.

On 11/12/2021 at 2:10 AM, Stromboli1 said:

MSM & Social Media should be held accountable if there are riots if Kyle Rittenhouse is acquitted.

Yep and they should also be held accountable if something happens to the judge. Did you see how the media attacked the judge because he berated the prosecutor (and rightly so)? This prosecutor denied Rittenhouse's right to remain silent (see this link) and he pressured a witness to alter a statement (see here). Political justice is poison. :ninja:

The judge is receiving death threats now... See here. :ermm:

4 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Yep and they should also be held accountable if something happens to the judge. Did you see how the media attacked the judge because he berated the prosecutor (and rightly so)? This prosecutor denied Rittenhouse's right to remain silent (see this link) and he pressured a witness to alter a statement (see here). Political justice is poison. :ninja:

The judge is receiving death threats now... See here. :ermm:

Someone took pictures of the jurors too.

9 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

Someone took pictures of the jurors too.

That's awful. This political poison is nasty. The media lie and make people crazy. Remember when they said "peaceful protests" while the city was burning behind them?

676309362_Peacefulprotests.thumb.JPG.b97ae55b5f1436c6635732258ec67ab9.JPG

Things begin to fall apart when words don't mean what they actually mean any more.

While I am finishing up Witcher Season 1, it reminds me of how intolerent I am of feminism & heavy race and gender swapping being artificially implemented in stories.  I couldn't stand watching the show anymore so I just listen to the show while doing chores and imagine the characters in my head.

By nature I watch very little TV and film and quickly cease watching as soon as I consider the thing I'm watching to lack quality in acting and story.  Bad acting and bad story quickly throws me out and I find myself not wanting to watch the thing anymore.   I have a need to at least be presented with the illusion of realism.  The current WOKE environment in entertainment has reduced my interest in new TV series and movies to a point that is lower than ever before.