Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

On 7/3/2021 at 7:21 AM, Enrico_sw said:

I know his show, I've watched it and liked it. He is a funny guy. But he's also been condemned for rape. Some people have dark facets.

How is it bad to be pro-police??? The police protects the population, and particularly the little guys

And why do they link "being pro-police" with "being against black culture"??? That's crazy. The police protects every citizen.

Besides a great producer of shows, Cosby was also a great stand-up comedian.  His body of work is the most extensive of the blue-chip comedians.

The US relationship with police is complicated.  We have hundreds of millions of guns in private hands.  So our police is different from disarmed countries.

Besides being disliked by many blacks for racial profiling, there is also decades of criticism from libertarian and liberal minded folks of police bureaucracy being out of control, and parasitic.  eg. War on Drugs is their jobs program like the Iraq war was for the Army.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:42 AM, Enrico_sw said:

It reminds me of this book:

https://livre.fnac.com/a2617267/Yannis-Constantinides-Nietzsche-l-eveille

I'm not a huge fan of social Darwinism either. It's too basic and people make it tell a lot of unproven things. It's so easy to say "oh, it's darwinism", that people stop doing basic critical thinking of their theories. It's funny because I think the North American Woke ideology and its view of "progess" is very influenced by social darwinism, which is probably part of why it's a paranoid view of the world.

The concept of the Übermensch is a bit hard to understand (and I'm not sure I fully understand it either). I see it more as a road than as a goal, but it's probably my interpretation.

I think so too, when you say "road".  The Buddhist path is also characterized by a road to become "a Buddha" but it is also, in Buddhist teachings, considered to be nearly impossible for an ordinary man.  So the best the average man can do is to reach a higher level. The Superman is also very hard to reach.

Have you seen the great/classic  movie "2001 a Space Odyssey"?  Besides using Wagner's "Thus spoke Zarathustra" music, the film also has a Nietzchean theme of the superman.  In the film the superman is the Star Child. 

The book brings up how Nietzsche was aware that social Darwinism isn't the "survival of the fittest" but the most adaptable, which is also that of the common.  The "great man" is his superman, not merely the reproductively successful man who has 10 children.  And the path to the superman is actually treacherous and low-tier in the social darwinist hierarchy.

I finished the Buddhism and Nietzsche audiobook.  It is interesting how the book goes deep into his influences, apparently Nietzsche was familiar with contemporary Buddhist literature of the time and influenced by it.  He was also influenced heavily by Schopenhauer, (Will and Representation).  However he was dismissive of what he perceived as flaws in Schopenhauer and Buddhism.  He saw it as pessimistic, which is something that even I know to be incorrect.  Buddhism is cynical about the outside world providing enduring meaning/happiness but it is actually really optimistic about the path to "liberation" (in Nietzschean terms this would be called "self overcoming" to the path of the superman.

What the study demonstrates is that Nietzsche's understanding of Buddhism and the Buddha were flawed and characterized by lack of knowledge of the psychology.  Also it seeks to show that many aspects of Nietzsche's philosophies were similar to Buddhist psychology and also how the Buddha would have been considered a Nietzchean "superman" if he understood him better.

Overall an interesting study that dives deep.  However I feel like it isn't really that groundbreaking.  The study ends rather abruptly, the audio being 12 hrs long.  I guess it confirmed what I already expected all along.

On 7/8/2021 at 9:12 PM, Prettyphile said:

…They're something so much more interesting about old fashioned names imo.

I can agree with this. Names cycle every couple of decades, that I’ve noticed.

One  can of my grandmother’s name was Elsie. My other one was Bonny. 

How do you feel about Prudence or Eunice?

9 minutes ago, CandleVixen said:

I can agree with this. Names cycle every couple of decades, that I’ve noticed.

One  can of my grandmother’s name was Elsie. My other one was Bonny. 

How do you feel about Prudence or Eunice?

Prudence is a stunning name! Eunice is also very pretty, I've never heard it before though, and now I'm glad you brought it up because I like it alot.

I got some eyestrain that freaked me out a bit last night and today.  I've never experienced something like this before.

pain in my left eye when looking in different directions, but by the end of the day it got a lot better

I am hoping that it's a bit like a sore muscle and I won't need to see an eye doctor.

The causes are still mysterious to me.  My guess is one of 3:

1. pollen got into my eye during a windy day

2. Benzyl peroxide got into my eye (from face wash)

3. eyestrain (the worst one to me, although I didn't use my eyes any more than usual on that day).

4 minutes ago, Matt! said:

Could be a minor infection or a broken blood vessel 

The odd thing is that there is no red eye at all, the eye looks perfectly fine.  However when I close my eyelids now I can feel an unpleasant sensation.