Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

20 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

I think the main thing is consistency, we either allow scrutiny and ridicule exhaustively or not at all.

I was a long time member/contributor of good quality military history research forum since about 2009.  A lot of knowledgeable and highly educated fellows (including authors, etc.) and it was high traffic during its prime.  Young and old.  However, at the bottom of the index page there as a sub-forum called "Current events" that was filled to the brim with political lunacy.  This subforum had a lot of aggressive people that were only there to rant about politics everyday & pick fights.

As the forum started to slow down circa 2014 due to the closure of the publishing house that it was affiliated with (which supported its operation with it revenues) there was a management crisis. The forum needed cash to keep its upkeep and the loss of the magazines and publications saw a decline in the membership.  The military history forums started to decline while the "current events" tab started to grow to the point where MOST of the posts in the forum were about politics!!  The staff then spent most of their time managing the political wars in that one subforum.  It turned into a cesspool full of hatred, many of the members (who were civil years ago) over time developed a great hatred for each other.  It was trainwreck everyday, filled with personal attacks that popped up until a mod could erase it.

Many history-focused members questioned the value of this subforum and asked for it to be deleted.  However the staff realized that the forum couldn't survive on donations alone and the Current Events tab was keeping the forum alive.  The disgust with the political proproganda leaking everywhere, including the history forums made many quality members leave. 

However, last year the forum finally reached a tipping point and became unmanageable.  The volunteer staff was tired of moderating it and left one by one until there was only 1 man consistently there.  Soon, he became the target of abuse by the politicos.  The forum was closed.  Two decades of history research material and good discussion threads were lost.

I look at other history forums on the internet these days and note that they wisely ban all political discussion- knowing that it is toxic to moderate and toxic to the forum community.  I saw a game forum remove its politics section completely for some of the same reasons.

5 hours ago, elfstone said:

Tiktok was made for high school sophomores and pedophiles. 

The only people that can use tiktok are attractive girls/women.  Everybody else looks ugly.  Pretty people get away with everything, as usual.:rofl:

7 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

The only people that can use tiktok are attractive girls/women.  Everybody else looks ugly.  Pretty people get away with everything, as usual.:rofl:

Don't worry, they don't always get away with everything.

I recently berated an airhead bimbo that behaved like a b*, I can tell you she was shocked about it, but I felt very satisfied! :laugh:

People who are ugly on the inside get some of their shit back in the end.

2 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

Since your goth is pleased, why are you confused, @Prettyphile?

I'm confused and yet totally fascinated with the video imagery and how it relates to the song(s)... These dancers are so wiggly all over the place, and happy.... and the songs are not.

Spoiler

I expect this...

I got this....

:rofl::rofl::rofl: I don't know what to make of it.

10 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

I am super disappointed :ermm: my mom got the covid vaccine, and I was so sure I will now get the 5g for free... But no ! :ermm:

Crossing my finger it will work when she got shot #2 !

is Christee vaccinated?  I will be vaccinated this thursday. (2)

@CandleVixen Have you been going to indoor arenas/malls/indoor dining since you got #2? 

Eating at indoors restaurants with others used to be a huge part of my life but COVID ended that. 

6 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Don't worry, they don't always get away with everything.

I recently berated an airhead bimbo that behaved like a b*, I can tell you she was shocked about it, but I felt very satisfied! :laugh:

Beware, they can use backstabbing, rumors, blackmail, lies, fake stories, emotional manipulation, and other women's weapons like ( 0:34 ) Poison.  Poison is a woman's weapon"...true, true

18 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

AC's vision of what Socrates looks like is rather less heroic than I thought.  According to Greek fragments Socrates was an outstanding soldier (Hoplite) before he became the controversial intellectual/troll of Athens.  He was also supposed to be rather ugly.  

And in Plato's "Death of Socrates" his corruption of youth trial has him trolling and outwitting everyone until his death.  Very little is actually known of Socrates (no primary source) as he is mainly known through Plato's writings. 

40ab88f0-og-socrates.ngsversion.15583735

The most iconic image of him is summed up in the words "Seek the truth, even if leads to your death".  Intellectual honesty, always and facing death with cheerfulness, which he is supposed to have done.

Interestingly he becomes the patron saint of the Stoics.  I believe that most of what they knew of him has been lost to history.  After him, Cato the younger dies in a similarly heroic fashion, in defiance of Julius Caesar.  He too becomes an icon.  Seneca, Cicero, Marcus Aurelius ( IIRC), Zeno, Plato, and Epictetus all mention Socrates, and every time it is in reference to his trial and death.

The early medieval Christians saw the Stoics, and Socrates as "enlightened" pagans and they too absorbed their teachings.  Socrates became a medieval symbol of intellectual ideals that extended into the English victorian age.

I think AC depicted him at a later stage in his life. He says in the game that he became fatter and less athletic with age. I heard he was a solider too, but most Greek citizens were soldiers (not the slaves, the citizens - BTW, it's funny how slavery is quite hidden in AC Odyssey, they've probably been scared of showing it, but in reality it was a pillar of their society).

I think Thucydides said that "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."  It's typical of classical Greece. Citizens were "complete" people who were supposed to excel in many domains.

Socrates is a real funny guy in the game, I like his trolling. In the 1st mission, he's annoying, but then his quests are very funny. Historians say that he would troll average people in the street like that, stating riddles or answering questions with questions. :rofl: I like that.

As you say, he didn't want his teachings to be written (and there's a quest about it in the game). Plato is in the game too (as a kid).

AC Odyssey is real good. Real good. It would've been better, had the gameplay been more difficult (like in DS3), but it's still a great game.