Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

On 3/8/2021 at 6:02 PM, Stormbringer said:

In and out of quarantine...

Quarantine sucks...:/

Hey, BTW, since you like medieval fantasy, have you played Dark Souls games? (Or the Witcher? Or any other fantasy game?)

7 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

Thanks guys. I retired three doctors and each one was excellent. The one I have now is the same. 

I guess I’ve no choice but to change doctors and all that. Unless I want to pay out of pocket, the whole visits. :/ But, the coverage we have now is really good, and something we haven’t had in quite a while.

oh so it's better then!

The only health care professional I see yearly is the dentist.  I haven't gotten a physical since age 21.  I could have terminal cancer at age 35 and not know it!

2 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

1. Real good

2. meh, some parts are good, but the rest is meh

3. alright

4. nope

5. great

6. alright

7. great (one of my favorite and cool boss)

8. good

9. good

10. good

11. great (one of my favorite)

12. meh

13. meh

Friede is probably my favorite so far.

what do you think of these two from other games?

two of my most favorite game music along with the witcher stuff.

On 3/2/2021 at 4:54 PM, Enrico_sw said:

You're lucky. I've always been into physics, astronomy and science. So, sci-fi shows like Star Wars and Star Trek appeal to me. I spent a good part of my childhood watching their movies, TVs and playing their games. We used to be called geeks for that, but we didn't care.

In the past 10 years, these shows have been phagocytized by the US mainstream culture. That was fine, at first. Then, the US mainstream culture became crazy and it impacted our shows negatively. The companies (oligopolies) that own the entertainment industry now openly say they don't care about the audience. Hollywood is talking to itself.

We shouldn't care, but we do. We've come to be attached to these things. Maybe we shouldn't, but we are. We just want a little escapism from time to time. :ninja:

I agree. These were good movies. I'm not that much into Superhero movies, except when they're really good like these ones.

I could have never predicted that the success of the Dark Knight Trilogy was the beginning of the superhero boom. 

For me it's mainly because the endless Superhero/SJW craze has taken away billions of development funds for what could have been far more interesting/innovative films like those in the 1980s- mid 2000s.   Also for me it's part of getting older and having "seen enough".   I also refuse to lower myself to be a subject for social-political proproganda.  I prefer traditional masculine male-focused  narratives and have the greatest respect & sympathy for young men. The 2010s have been a lost decade to me for film.  

Blacks have become a new entertainment & media aristocracy over the past decade.  Not just the Academy awards but on TV EVERYDAY!  Commercials are filled with blacks and the daily New York news like ABC is reporting on black social justice issues everyday!  White Women (world's smallest violin for them) and latinos are a distant second.  Asians are unheard of except for the recent rise in violence against Asians due to the pandemic.

Instead of being interested in upcoming films I find myself spending that time with my studies.

There is often a political/social proproganda aspect in TV and film.  I don't know about France but the Germans can't make a WW2 movie/film without making it politically correct and shoe-horning the "Good German vs the Bad German" and choosing the same narrow range of topics. WW2 has been over a long time ago.

Today you can't fully be into US TV/film without LOVING black people, black music, black history, and black culture and LOVING  feminism.  You also have to love PG-13 Marvel/DC superheroes..

19 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

what do you think of these two from other games?

two of my most favorite game music along with the witcher stuff.

The first one has a very martial spirit especially with the way they use drums, with some very frank breaks/drops. I'm not the biggest fan of the grandiloquent parts.  I haven't played this game, but I guess they want to bring US military vibes.

Parts of the second one sound like a funeral march. It sometimes has a good use of melodic sequences but some weird transitions (I thought there was gonna be a better climax). Also, some US military vibes in the end.

It's a Kojima game, isn't it?

10 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

There is often a political/social proproganda aspect in TV and film.  I don't know about France but the Germans can't make a WW2 movie/film without making it politically correct and shoe-horning the "Good German vs the Bad German" and choosing the same narrow range of topics. WW2 has been over a long time ago.

The French elites' relation to war has changed in 1918. We won WW1 and we spent many resources/lives in this war (much more than the US, who came at the very end). People who came back from the war were so mutilated (les gueules cassées) that people became disgusted by it. It was the same in Germany, except that they wanted a revenge (which changed everything). Anyway, that's what led to pacifism (and the defeat in 1940). And pacifism was also in the movie industry. It hasn't changed since.

WW2 movies in France were mostly dramatic comedies, or movies focusing on the resistance.  There haven't been many WW2 movies in the past 30 years. Now, French cinema is mostly "cinéma d'auteurs" (very weird stuff with a couple of great exceptions).

German culture (and the Holy Roman Empire in general) was great until Kant. After Kant, they have many great individuals (Planck, Nietzsche, Einstein, Arendt, etc.), but the central political culture is too focused on high morality, which is a poison. That's what you have in the US: high morality in the leading class. That can really be a lethal poison.

The whole European medieval culture is great (German, France, Italy, Spain - I would even include England :laugh:).

10 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Today you can't fully be into US TV/film without LOVING black people, black music, black history, and black culture and LOVING  feminism.  You also have to love PG-13 Marvel/DC superheroes..

In our schools, we were taught to not think about people's skin. And it was a good thing. We were taught that we should be cohesive as a country, that there should be unity.  Race doesn't exist in our census. We think that it leads to discord and even worse. Present day movie makers in the US are obsessed with identity, but the worst thing is that they think it's for a good cause.

When people correct an injustice with another injustice, they don't make it better, they make it worse. That's what the US movie industry does. The US "elites"  could remember what happened in Liberia. Reproducing a bad scheme is always a bad idea. Breaking the scheme is a better idea. Star Trek in the 1960s-90s understood that, that's why they made great shows on many issues (but now, modern Star Trek is like all the other shows, obsessed with identity and politics).

But, here I'm rambling on again like a broken record.... so I'll stop :nicole:

4 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

The first one has a very martial spirit especially with the way they use drums, with some very frank breaks/drops. I'm not the biggest fan of the grandiloquent parts.  I haven't played this game, but I guess they want to bring US military vibes.

Parts of the second one sound like a funeral march. It sometimes has a good use of melodic sequences but some weird transitions (I thought there was gonna be a better climax). Also, some US military vibes in the end.

It's a Kojima game, isn't it?

pretty interesting things that you noticed!  The strange breaks are due to the songs playing on narrative cutscenes.  I have the Yale open course "Listening to Music" (full semester)  soon to be done on my audio list.

Yes, Kojima made all the Metal Gear games and also Death Stranding.  

"Big Boss Returns" is mysterious unused music- presumably about the survival of Big Boss after his enormous trauma and battle.   So in a way it is a bittersweet return song, much horror, pain, and negative transformation but also much honor and courage.  It is a return to his command, his "family" so to speak.  But it is also a negative return, a beginning of a slow descent into evil.  It's a song about a great but also deeply misguided man.  A heroic villain that has almost no character traits of a villain. 

The next song is about a tragic but heroic sacrifice and its full impact, spiritually and across time.

I find both themes applicable in real life although not in such a dramatic way.  

The Synder film "Man of Steel" (Hans Zimmer) has some tracks that remind me of these two Metal gear songs.  

46 minutes ago, CandleVixen said:

How many extensions do you think he’ll do until he’s finally retired? 
Same question for Gronk. Cuz he’s Tommy’s My Buddy. 

I think this will be the last one for both. That's two more seasons for both (assuming Gronk will re-sign), Tom will be 45 in 2022 and Gronk 33.

I'm gonna miss watching those two throwing and catching tuddies.

15 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Skyrim is great! :chicken: 

And who cares about the rather outdated graphics if the game is good anyway. It has a good story, TONS of in-game lore and I really enjoyed the playability.

Alright, I might add it to my list (and I might even try to forget that it's a Bethesda game :laugh:).

15 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Most I've heard about the Dark Souls games is that they're insanely difficult. Which makes them interesting of course :chicken: 

They're difficult but extremely rewarding:bounce:

---

The Witcher has a great lore too!

1 minute ago, Enrico_sw said:

Alright, I might add it to my list (and I might even try to forget that it's a Bethesda game :laugh:).

What's with Bethesda? :idk: 

I've only played Skyrim and Doom from them but they're both awesome games.

I'll put The Witcher and Dark Souls on my list :chicken: 

17 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

What's with Bethesda? :idk: 

I've only played Skyrim and Doom from them but they're both awesome games.

Their boss and marketing team are scammers... This relates to what they did with Fallout 76 (and Fallout 4 to a lesser extent). They made false advertising, stingy micro-transaction, pay-to-win system and many blatant rip-offs. Not to mention that the game was very bugged. There has been lawsuits against them (links: F4 and F76)

I think Skyrim and Doom were unaffected (because they're solo games - and the backlash talked some sense into them).

This guy explains it in a funny way: