Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

On 2/21/2021 at 7:20 PM, Cult Icon said:

I like Ashes of Ariandel a lot, and the whole idea of the painted world.  Remember Hearts of Stone Witcher 3? 

'Course I remember Heart of Stone! It's a great DLC. It's probably one of the best games I've played and the 2 DLCs are even better than the original game.

On 2/21/2021 at 7:20 PM, Cult Icon said:

Did you fight the father yet?

I haven't finished Ariandel yet, but last I played I stumbled upon the sickest room in DS3 (and there are lots of sick places in this game :laugh:). It's a room full of giant flies who vomit maggots and feast on corpses. They're not hard to fight, but this room is sick.

These little guys (they would fit well in your nightmare thread)

maxresdefault.jpg00638%20Dark%20Souls%20Ariandel.jpg

20 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

I haven't finished Ariandel yet, but last I played I stumbled upon the sickest room in DS3 (and there are lots of sick places in this game :laugh:). It's a room full of giant flies who vomit maggots and feast on corpses. They're not hard to fight, but this room is sick.

These little guys (they would fit well in your nightmare thread)

Those flies have human skulls it seems?  I recall that Vaati even had lore for that :D

Sir Vilhelm is really cool, cool armor/sword and an extremely gravely voice.  I read a youtube comment that said that the voice actor is the same as Eredin from Witcher 3.  I would hope that Witcher 3 is still relevant after a few years.  

Vaati's material was crowdsourced from the Dark Souls online communities/reddit.  That's why they found so many things.  The design concept behind the franchise is to conceal the lore in item descriptions, backgrounds etc.   A very different approach to Western games, which have long cutscenes and exposition.  I find this method interesting as it's done right, as it increases uneasiness and sense of mystery.

The DS3 artbook can be found online.  I just found it.  Unfortunately it is hosted on a hentai site (e-hentai.org).  If you search for dark souls 3 artbook the results should come up.

21 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

@Cult Icon  There are lots of music videos on HoS. I listened to this one a lot during the 1st quarantine.

What was your favorite music of the 3 parts?  I found myself listening to Blood & Wine the most.  Followed by H of S.  Then the base game.

Oh yeah if you got to the bug room then you must have fought the Wolf Boss already : d.  Good music there too.

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Those flies have human skulls it seems?  I recall that Vaati even had lore for that :D

Yeah some sort of skull with big red eyes. These flies are disgusting. They vomit maggots (just like the corpse-grubs in the graveyard in DS3 - one of the most disgusting level)

Sir Vilhelm is really cool, cool armor/sword and an extremely gravely voice.  I read a youtube comment that said that the voice actor is the same as Eredin from Witcher 3.  I would hope that Witcher 3 is still relevant after a few years.  

I don't like Eredin's design (I dunno why), Vilhelm is cooler (both his armor and weapon). DS3's gameplay (weapons, powers, shields, armors) is much better than W3 (more diverse, real challenge and very different types of gameplay), but I prefer the W3's story, music and the overall ambience. There's more hope in the W3's world.

I wish they'd make a Witcher 4 game with a "Souls" type of gameplay. There are many types of weapons in the W3, but the gameplay is always more or less the same. In DS3, there's a huge difference between a longsword, straight sword, curved sword, rapiere, etc. That's what makes it great.

The design concept behind the franchise is to conceal the lore in item descriptions, backgrounds etc.   A very different approach to Western games, which have long cutscenes and exposition.  I find this method interesting as it's done right, as it increases uneasiness and sense of mystery.

It's a bit too much for my taste... I like that they don't show everything, but there aren't enough dialogs. Everything is so silent (I get that it's part of the ambiance, but I like the dialogs and interactions).

I prefer the W3. They don't explain everything but there are more interactions. 

What was your favorite music of the 3 parts?  I found myself listening to Blood & Wine the most.  Followed by H of S.  Then the base game.

Both DLC's soundtracks are great. HoS is a bit darker (like Ariandel, which is pretty dark too).  B&W is basically France, so it's much more joyful and glorious :laugh:

Oh yeah if you got to the bug room then you must have fought the Wolf Boss already : d.  Good music there too.

Greatwolf is good. It hits hard, but it gets hit quite hard when you use fire.   This fight looks a lot like the Ape fight in Sekiro (same type of environment).  The weapon you get after the fight (Valorheart) is beautiful but it's quite weak unfortunately.