Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

1 hour ago, Enrico_sw said:

@Michael*  Hey, Michael, thanks for the list, that's a really good idea and it's helpful. I just wanted to know if it was made to be exhaustive? Because there are lots of deleted threads that don't appear on this list.

https://www.bellazon.com/main/topic/89202-for-reference-removed-model-threads/

Hey man, yeah, I'm not sure if we'll ever reach a point where it's altogether comprehensive, but the plan is to make it as accurate as possible. If you know of any that are missing, please do feel free to give me a heads up, I'll be happy to update it.

Seeing the news of all these alt right scumbags and morons get their comeuppance for Jan 6th is the only entertaining thing in politics for the past 4 years.  Lots of very sick people !  If the FBI honeypot reaches deep into phase 2 this could mean hundreds of more federal cases, and details on them.

It's like a psychological study on mental derangement. 

1 hour ago, frenchkiki said:

What's the minimum wage in the US?

varies by state, but there is a federal minimum wage that is absurdly low $7.25.

This leads to pretty different operating conditions where businesses are open for very long hours compared to the short hours more common in Australia/Europe as employers can pay employees very little. 

As you can see there is pro-small business libertarian propaganda/talking points in circulation in the US that prevents the minimum wage from rising.

The irony is that large corporations can pay their employees just as little despite comparably flush with cash.  The irony is that the low income people end up drawing gov't benefits so it ends up being social parasitism from the private sector to the taxpayer.

Ideally a business should pay the employee zero dollars, remove their reproductive capabilities, and put them in slave pens.  :rofl:  Then get them to draw from the state for healthcare, benefits, etc. Good for the economy!

2 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

varies by state, but there is a federal minimum wage that is absurdly low $7.25.

It’s sad, to be honest, Texas has one of the lowest minimum wage. 

The state arguments is if the minimum wage was increased, then they would have to create a state income tax, which us mere mortals do not want. Or they would have to raise the state sales tax. 

Also the state is on a whole, a cheapskate. :baronlamesign::banghead:

$7.25 ??

:blink:

It's 11€ in France.

And I can tell you it's not enough. A little less than 1300€ by month.

$7.25 to me is paid slavery.

USA is really a country of contradictions. Almost bipolar.

No wonder why people have 2 or 3 jobs in one of the richest country in the world.

5 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

$7.25 ??

:blink:

It's 11€ in France.

And I can tell you it's not enough. A little less than 1300€ by month.

$7.25 to me is paid slavery.

No wonder why people have 2 or 3 jobs in one of the richest country in the world.

Yes, it sucks too.

Since the 80’s, minimum wages have slowly increased. Slowly, too slowly. 

As you said, it’s like slave labor, and it should change.

Even if the federal wage was raised, we’d see the cost of living raise drastically because the idiots in charge have no clue about us who live at or below the federal definition of poverty. And the COLA (cost of living adjustment) would not cover the higher expenditures. 

Mind you, several states raised their minimum wages to an actual living wage. 
I’d be happy if the minimum raised to $10 an hour. 

In Bergen County, NJ it's over $11.  So if you work for McDonald's or work in retail in the Mall (for a multi-national corporation LOL) you will get minimum wage. 

Minimum wage should be OVER $15, businesses should adjust.  If a small business- after restructuring operations- can't pay over $15 they deserve to die, they weren't a very good business in the first place.

6 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

We have horrifically bad politics regarding minimum wage.  Even in US economics textbooks there are dubious theories on why there should be no minimum wage!  Libertarian/conservative propagandists also spread these diseased arguments.

America is not very rich.  It's extremely unequal in wealth.  So the top and median earners distort the statistics.  I am extremely well traveled in the NE USA and have seen most of it up close.  So much of the population is poor, and relies on gov't support (hence our massive public debts).  I would say that the standard of living for the bottom earners of the population is much lower than other developed countries.

In Berlin what struck me was the short operating hours of retail there.  I asked my then- girlfriend why and she explained that the typical lowest wage was around $20 an hour ....obviously what happened was the entire industry had to adapt and customers were forced to shop in truncated time windows.  In Australia it's something similar, so there is no tipping culture as the servers make a living wage.

The US is an economic absurdity, you have very low price action for certain goods and services and extremely high price action for others.  So healthcare, higher education, and pharma costs are insanely high while other products are cheap.  The extremely low minimum wage effectively lowers the unemployment rate in a most unimpressive way.  People with gov't /public jobs are privileged and shielded from market forces.

Oh my yes. Time and again, I hear small business owners say they would go down the pan if they had to pay workers even slightly more, simply unaware that the reason their businesses are so close to death is because so few people have disposable income.

A healthier minimum wage would be vastly better for the economy. The morality of paying people what they're worth doesn't even need to come into it (although the fact that it doesn't is another absurdity).

Plus the fact that if your margins are genuinely so small that you're barely able to take a wage, you might as well just be doing a minimum wage job anyway.

The debate on minimal wage is not easy. Otherwise we'd all have a unique solution for all countries and everything would be fine. Politicians who claim to have obvious solutions with no drawbacks whatsoever are either demagogues or people who think economics is an exact science, which is not the case (far from it).

A too low minimal wage means "working poor". A too high minimal wage means unemployement.

All the Keynesian arguments are partly true and their relevance depends on the perimiter. But the thing is that we're in a connected world. Producers in a given country are in competition (at least partly) with other countries.

The minimal wage in India is around 1$ per hour (and 1.5$ in China). Not all jobs are in competition with international markets (e.g. hairdressers are not) and the wage is not the only part of production costs, so it's more complicated than that. But you can't ignore what happens elsewhere if your country is open.

It's not all black and white. 7$ per hour is low for a Western economy. But 15 $ per hour is VERY high. But you guys do what you want. You'll see. Learning by experience is the best way.

15 hours ago, Michael* said:

Oh my yes. Time and again, I hear small business owners say they would go down the pan if they had to pay workers even slightly more, simply unaware that the reason their businesses are so close to death is because so few people have disposable income.

A healthier minimum wage would be vastly better for the economy. The morality of paying people what they're worth doesn't even need to come into it (although the fact that it doesn't is another absurdity).

Plus the fact that if your margins are genuinely so small that you're barely able to take a wage, you might as well just be doing a minimum wage job anyway.

This shouldn't be so bad in the UK?  I've had similar conversations with business owners that parrot braindead libertarian bromides that I've heard countless times before.  Libertarianism as an ideology is the type that strokes the ego of business owners and financiers, makes them feel elite and special, and deserving of special treatment.  I've even had a financier make the argument to me that employees are the real social parasites!  I'm the messiah, these employees don't deserve me...My mother's boss lives in a mansion, has a collection of luxury vehicles including 2 Ferraris and gives his staff shit pay.  There's some good businessmen but this career path is the type that strongly selects for uncultured, sociopath, greedy, and the immoral.  So many assholes.

It boils down to primitive to elaborate excuses to pay employees as little as possible while stealing from the US taxpayer as much as possible. A few years ago I read some academic studies surveying CEO pay in various American industries.  They estimated it to be something like 50 to 100 times the average worker's pay, the worst discrepancy in the so called developed world. 

17 hours ago, CandleVixen said:

Yes, it sucks too.

Since the 80’s, minimum wages have slowly increased. Slowly, too slowly. 

As you said, it’s like slave labor, and it should change

Why do you think that this is the case in the south? where wages are lower than in the north- that so many people support politics that make them more poor.  Business owners do not outnumber employees.   Logically if the people have low income they want as many benefits as possible and a high minimum wage. 

One well known factor is Christianity and malicious 24-7 propaganda  (alt right, conservative, libertarian) and brainwashing to keep the proles ignorant and misinformed , distracted by distraction by distraction and distraction...but there should be more than that.  These are also the traditional slave-owning states.  It's the same thing over here, with some of the poor rural people in the Northeast, particularly in Pennsylvania.  It's like they're blinded by God's green earth and attribute it to other factors.