Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

On 7/7/2020 at 8:43 AM, Prettyphile said:

This was absolutely disgusting. So will the left defend this too? Or will they ignore it like the rest of the rioting, looting and beatings?

:pinch: I agree, it is disgusting, @Prettyphile. I understand the frustrated mind set. But yelling at the kids, it’s not going to make a change or solve anything.  But hey! It might go viral and you get your 15 second of fame, so it’s ok, right?

14 minutes ago, CandleVixen said:

I loved how his mask started out in the beginning; as a William Shatner mask. 

Also, @Stromboli1 thank you for the tweets. They are pretty much how I feel about this ridiculous country right now. 

Yeah that's crazy that it did and they altered the mask.

You're welcome................ there are a big silent majority that's tired of this crap, but don't do anything though.

National Parks are too white now? 

I give up.

America's national parks face an existential crisis over race

As millions of Americans escape home quarantine to the great outdoors this summer, they'll venture into parks, campgrounds and forest lands that remain stubborn bastions of self-segregation.

"The outdoors and public lands suffer from the same systemic racism that the rest of our society does," said Joel Pannell, associate director of the Sierra Club, which is leading an effort to boost diversity in the wilderness and access to natural spaces.

New government data, shared first with ABC News, shows the country's premier outdoor spaces -- the 419 national parks -- remain overwhelmingly white. Just 23% of visitors to the parks were people of color, the National Park Service found in its most recent 10-year survey; 77% were white. Minorities make up 42% of the U.S. population.

So it's white people's fault that POC don't visit Yellowstone more often because they feel out of place..... and scared KEKW? 

It's not the whites you need to be scared of....  Mother Nature who can turn on a dime is a big problem, and Mrs Grizzly Bear with her Buffalo, and Moose friends can fuck your day up pretty bad.

How fuck does this make sense...

Spoiler

Spoiler

Government officials and environmental advocates agree that the racial disparity in the outdoors is an existential crisis.

"If we don't address this, and we don't see how all these things are interrelated, then we're going to risk losing everything," said Pannell. "You're not going to have public lands to enjoy."

A not-so-inclusive experience for some

Ambreen Tariq, creator of the "Brown People Camping" social media campaign, learned to camp with her family in Minnesota after they emigrated to the U.S. from India. She now advocates for representation of families like hers and people of color to enjoy the outdoors.

"The future of our country is more and more diverse, ... we're going to have more people of color in this country than white people, but our parks, our green spaces, our conservation spaces, those demographics are remaining white. What does that mean for the future of our land, for environmentalism? We need everyone to experience and then love the land so that they will stay and fight," Tariq said.

"So you think the parks are at risk? Absolutely. The parks are at risk, just like every other natural resource in this country. Land, water, air. These are resources to be preserved. And it not just takes money. It takes people fighting for it," she continued.

Still, racial profiling and stereotyping remain a big concern for Tariq and many people of color in the outdoors.

"When I was a child, I felt like an outsider trying to gain entrance, except now I am American and this is my country," she said.

However, when she camps or hikes as an adult, Tariq said she still faces assumptions that she doesn't belong and a sense of "imposter syndrome" and fear -- even facing questions from rangers about whether she has followed park rules when she doesn't see white visitors asked the same questions.

I'm just fucking done...

17 minutes ago, CandleVixen said:

Ggrrrrr. (That’s Mrs.Bear saying hi and she agrees, that she is not racist, she’ll attack anyone that gets in between her and her cubs.)

It’s always been us trying to keep our poc sisters and brothers down. Maybe I’m to much of a privileged child, to just not get that it’s us OR them. Like, Huckleberry vs Sambo. Sith vs Jedi.  Romulans vs the Federation of Planets, without the neutral zone. 

I just don't understand why there is this resurgence in victim mentality happening. I'm so dismayed by everything that's happening lately and I'm frustrated that I can't do anything to change it.

Fascinating interview