Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

I was driving around a university and I'm surprised that more students don't get hit when walking across the street while on their phone. I constantly look to my left and right while walking accross the street.

6 hours ago, jkjk said:

For some reason I allow myself to continually be surprised by how uninformed and ignorant people are. It must be easy to be a con-artist.

If you compare to 500 years ago, when most of the population didn't know how to read, people are actually more informed and insightful. Sure, the past decades have been a degradation, in the population yes, but above all in the so-called "elite".

A fish rots from the head down. Rotting happens when social sciences (that are key) starts to abandon their initial goal (understanding the world) for a new one (changing the world). When they put ideals above facts and understanding, you end up with ideologs who instil a cult, which is real obscurantism. People disagreeing with the cult are put in a "basket of deplorables" and debate dies. Hence, all the rotten world we know. :ermm:

@jkjk  This guy is brilliant in the way he depicts all these things.

I think we should fight for debate, free speech and we should never be afraid to disagree with others. Disagreement (when it's civil) is always instructive.

11 hours ago, jkjk said:

For some reason I allow myself to continually be surprised by how uninformed and ignorant people are. It must be easy to be a con-artist.

People just don't have the time to keep up with anything anymore because they're just trying to survive.

56 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

People just don't have the time to keep up with anything anymore because they're just trying to survive.

I think that's absolutely true.

Also, I think people are okay with not knowing because that's easier, among other reasons.

On 5/10/2019 at 1:29 AM, Enrico_sw said:

Since you're in this magical number, I have to ask if your name is in honor of Tolkien's elfstone?  BTW, when I was a kid, I thought she was one of the sexiest women...:angel:

Lol Elfstone was Aragorn's moniker as well as title of the gem in his crown IIRC  :p

Just now, elfstone said:

Lol Elfstone was Aragorn's moniker as well as title of the jewel in his crown IIRC  :p

Exactly. Aragorn was also called Elessar which means Elfstone. Elessar was actually his royal name.

The stone was given to him as a gift by Galadriel when the Fellowship was in Lothlórien. He always wore it after this.

But I don't think he put it on his crown. I'm not sure though.