Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

5 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

Alina Rin does a great job with the Cosplay aspect , haha.  I wonder how much those two girls make with their channels.  They do very little compared to others.

Continuing with this, I have some understanding on this activity as a business.  People who make around 40K or more with this has essentially a full time job- they have to do this for 5 plus years, get around 300K-500K plus youtube subs, and churn out a lot of quality content EVERY week.  It's actually kind of a sad way to live one's life to me- gaming is fun but they have to make it an addiction.  They have to play a lot of games that they aren't particularly interested in and record them.  Then they have to edit them, which is very time-consuming.  People like cowboy make extensive tutorials and tip videos too.  Some like Shirakko also cull out all the cutscenes to make cutscene movies.  On top of that, they use twitch as a source of PR for their youtube channel and also a source for donations.  They also sell their own t-shirts and other channel related material.  The PR from all these activities attracts deals with sponsors and advertisers, who will fly them out to experience new games before launch or give them a small stipend to promote their products and games.

Yeah, me too, I'd like to understand how much they make, just with the channel itself (regarding the value of the deals they make with sponsors and advertisers, I guess that their value depend on the profitability of the market segments).

I like Alina's voice.

6 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

Yeah, me too, I'd like to understand how much they make, just with the channel itself (regarding the value of the deals they make with sponsors and advertisers, I guess that their value depend on the profitability of the market segments).

I like Alina's voice.

My description was largely gained from Cowboy's revelations of his youtube business.   He makes $50,000 /year about two (?) years ago and he treats it as a second full time job.  Interestingly enough, he is also a full time software engineer that works remotely most of the time so this amounted to up to 100 hours of work a week!

These channels are treated by games companies as part of their marketing budget so they will reach out to youtubers to do deals.  Contracts often involve them doing a set amount of work for them. 

Youtube also considers them employees and sends them a check based on how much traffic they gave them.  They monetize most of their videos (baring copyright issues or other legal).  

All of this is pretty interesting to me as these people managed to turn a hobby into a source of income!