Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

12 hours ago, RIP_Cabrini_Green said:

Of all time? Damn I don’t even know where to start....

maybe Bone Thugs N Harmony - Crossroad or Twista ft. Do or Die - Do U?

Something more recent... Wu-Tang Clan ft. Redman - People Say

I'm into Schoolboy Q, Game, Eminem obviously, Dre

Being from Chicago, the Chicago rap scene resonates a lot. Lil Durk, Juice Wrld, Vic Mensa, (OLD) Kanye, Lupe Fiasco, Twista

I know I’m missing a lot but this is just some off the top of my head at the moment...

Thank you! 🤗

15 hours ago, PinkCouture said:

@Prettyphile: For some reason I could imagine you being like this when you were a little girl :D

NAILED IT!!! Every single year I made my mom take me to a version of Halloween Headquarters so I could get a new costume, and after an hour of careful decision, I decided on a  witch, btw I was a witch every single year till I was 12 lol

There are two times I can remember crying like someone had just killed my dog when my mom tried to make me leave the the store. Nope not leaving ma, you can't take a fish out of the water and expect it to survive, and you can't take a baby Yvette out of the Mecca that is Halloween and expect her to behave.

My mom used to save Halloween gift wrap for Christmas because I got that much more excited that Santa really "knew me".  Summer can hurry up and end ANY day now, thanks.

2 hours ago, SympathysSilhouette said:

Who does Ashley Graham actually represent? Because it's clear that at least portions of the body positivity movement perceive her as problematic.

So if she is not there to promote a more diverse body image, is she merely selectively performing for the okey doke?

From what I understand, Ashley prefers not to use that term because skinny women aren’t labelled anything so why are bigger women labelled “plus-sized.” Plus what? It makes it seem like bigger women are not normal women like everyone else. Naturally, she was marketed by the fashion industry as a plus-size model. She isn’t dead set against it, but I understand why she would not choose to use that term when she has a chance to promote something herself.

Tim Wise one of the nation’s most prominent anti-racist essayists, educators, activists, and pioneers, tells Madison365 about a conversation over coffee he had with an African American friend in the San Francisco Bay Area who explained in very stark detail why San Francisco was the most racist place he had ever lived in. “This man was in his 50s and had lived in Birmingham, Alabama. He’d lived in Dallas. He’d lived in St. Louis. He said that San Francisco to him was the most racist place he had ever lived,” Wise recalls. “As we teased that out, of course, he was talking about what Ralph Ellison talked about in ‘Invisible Man’ … that feeling of being invisible and of people looking right through you and not really being seen. In some ways, to have that happen in a place like San Francisco has to be more weighty … to have a reputation of being X, but you’re really Y.

“At least if you’re in Birmingham, you know you ain’t X and you know how to protect yourself and prepare yourself,” Wise adds. “This guy was like, ‘It’s amazing living in San Francisco all the crap I experienced that these white liberals just didn’t see at all.’ He ended up moving back to the South, too, because it was so much easier to deal with the overt racism than the covert, colorblind racism that you deal with in liberal cities.”

◆ Austin is top-10 in the most segregated cities in the United States … described as “a rich Texas town that holds on to its whiteness for dear life.” Austin is the only fast-growing United States city losing African Americans.

◆ In comparison to their white counterparts, black adults in San Francisco are much more likely to be arrested, booked into county jail and convicted, according to a racial and ethnic disparities report

◆ Portland shows a persistent disparity between how often whites and blacks are stopped and searched.

◆ Minneapolis has seen the formation of the some of the nation’s widest racial disparities,and the nation’s worst segregation in a predominantly white area.

https://madison365.com/what-no-one-wants-to-talk-about-race-and-progressive-cities/