Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

29 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

How can the US be so advanced in some areas and former economic leader of the world (bc let's face it, China's here to stay), and be so late on some reforms and systems? I swear, I  would never want to live there.

It all depends on what state you live in :ninja: 

57 minutes ago, gotportugal said:

How can the US be so advanced in some areas and former economic leader of the world (bc let's face it, China's here to stay), and be so late on some reforms and systems? I swear, I  would never want to live there.

Too much money involved and the potential collapse of the US & world economy.

2 hours ago, gotportugal said:

China has 1.4 billion people ..

B/C this big country was founded on a rebellion against British taxation and exploitation, so the system of federal (central) gov't was designed to work at a glacial/procrastinating pace.  This is why it took until the 1960s for the first effective Civil rights acts.  A faster gov't would mean that it would be much easier to separate the middle class and rich from their money and create a larger, and more powerful bureaucratic class that lives on taxation. There is a strong anti-government tradition so there is a lot of skepticism of social justice sales pitches. 

There is also a strong veneration of individualism, taking risks, low gov't regulation/taxation, and entrepreneurship.  The frontiersman spirit.  This is the opposite of european political traditions or the mentality of D.C. and much of the East/West coasts.  Think of how communities were developed in America's interior as Americans expanded westward and cleared the lands of native enemies ...   As a consequence, there is supposed to be an enormous amount of political fighting before anything gets done at the federal level.  

"Democracy in America", written in the 1830s is still applicable today:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democracy_in_America

8 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

When you have to clean your cat butthole because her Majesty doesn't want to lick it clean.

I hate my life.

I had to help my cat with his butt too sometimes because he had long fur… Had to wash him, which he did not like but his stick legs were so funny :heart: