Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

18 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

@Cult Icon Do you know/like this song?

I've never heard of it- very interesting.  It has a lot of soul.  It is about French Partisans?

I've always found this song immersive- makes me think of communist soldiers marching through the endless wheat fields.  I can smell the wheat, feel the wind on my face ...a sea of yellow, the sun shining on my back..

FOREIGN201610182204000480629086182.jpg

18 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

As a matter of fact, BoB brings a lot of memories for me as well. Of the series itself, and of people I used to watch it with as well.

I remember many moments of the series. Like the moment where Compton sees his friends getting hit by a mortar. This scene was in the opening credits. I even remember the musical notes that are played the moment where he stands alone letting his helmet go (it's a turning point in the opening credits melody, even the instruments change). I also remember with whom I was the first time I saw it.

It's good to have memories of people, of books/series, of history. We live in a world where we always have to go forward without ever looking behind. But memories are treasures. Our politicians have pulsions of "making a clean slate of the past", because they claim to replace it with a bright future. IMHO, they don't see that a huge part of their PC thoughts are like ideologies, soft ones, but still. It bothers me. The ones who claim to be better than our past don't even know it to begin with. I've always found it key to understand our past. As time goes by, many good people are left behind. Also many mistakes; but repairing past mistakes often lead to new mistakes (anyway, making this message... reminded me of past rambling on with other people a while ago :smile:)

Band of Brothers had a big splash at the time- in TV, games, books, etc.

World War 2 is still highly relevant today.  I would say that different generations have different strengths that can be learned from.  Some of these strengths fade away and must be re-discovered.

“Too many people learn about war with no inconvenience to themselves. They read about Verdun or Stalingrad without comprehension, sitting in a comfortable armchair, with their feet beside the fire, preparing to go about their business the next day, as usual.   One should really read such accounts under compulsion, in discomfort, considering oneself fortunate not to be describing the events in a letter home, writing from a hole in the mud. One should read about war in the worst circumstances, when everything is going badly, remembering that the torments of peace are trivial, and not worth any white hairs. Nothing is really serious in the tranquility of peace; only an idiot could be really disturbed by a question of salary. 

One should read about war standing up, late at night, when one is tired, as I am writing about it now, at dawn, while my asthma attack wears off. And even now, in my sleepless exhaustion, how gentle and easy peace seems!” 

“A day came when I should have died,
and after than nothing seemed very important, 
so I stayed as I am, without regret 
separated from the normal human condition.” 

Guy Sajer, The Forgotten Soldier

4 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I've never heard of it- very interesting.  It has a lot of soul.  It is about French Partisans?

Yeah. Leonard Cohen covered a French song and added English lyrics to it. I really like Leonard Cohen. I discovered him when I was a kid by listenning to a Nirvana song (Pennyroyal tea). Growing up, I came to appreciate his work more and more.

6 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

World War 2 is still highly relevant today.  I would say that different generations have different strengths that can be learned from.  Some of these strengths fade away and must be re-discovered.

Of course it's still relevant. Not in the way we usually think. People are usually highly uncomfortable to talk about it, because they don't really know about it. They just consider highly simplified versions of history which always lead to vision of the society that is promoted by mass media.

For example, "people" are nowadays considered suspicious. So, referendums are supposed to be dubious because the people would be subject to extreme pulsions. This view comes from the fact that media argue that the masses got dictators to power. It's not true. Intermediates gave them power: either by revolutions (where a handful of people can change everything) or by elections, but never a free election with direct universal suffrage. It was always indirect suffrage (or rigged elections). So, very often coalitions of parties (=politician tinkering) created the situations. Like in Germany (the nazis got 43.9% in 1933 which is huge and crazy, but it was not 50%. A coalition led them to power).

I sometimes think that intermediate power is prone to side with the "wind" (like weather vanes).

Also, I find it very interesting to see the effects of pacifism. By reading history books, I now really think that power balance should always be the 1st goal of a diplomatic negociation, before peace. If you place peace above all and show it to the adversary, you're screwed, because he will eat all your negociation margins and in the end he'll make war (because impunity makes him think that he is almighty). Churchill understood it better than anyone. Churchill got the media against him (and De Gaulle had the media against him as  well). Pacifism is an emotion (so the media love it) and emotions are never good for diplomacy. Power balance is more rational and, in the end, it can lead to peace more easily, even if it's not the primary goal. 

It's easy to say these things 80 years after, but it's always enlightenning to understand this past.

What do you think? (Sorry, I feel like rambling on today :rofl:)

6 hours ago, Cult Icon said:

I've always found this song immersive- makes me think of communist soldiers marching through the endless wheat fields.  I can smell the wheat, feel the wind on my face ...a sea of yellow, the sun shining on my back..

Yeah, Russians were highly motivated and courageous. And their culture was "strong" and in some aspects appealing. Still, their ideology was rotten. :rofl:

What I hate the most with communism is that it forbids you to think anything else than what you're supposed to. It would be a pain in my ass to live with such a rule. Nowadays, political correctness is a kind of "soft" censorship. It bothers me, but at least we are free to think what we want and say what we want. The only risk is to be despised which is acceptable (sometimes it's even rewarding :rofl:)

A couple of years ago, I read a book called "the Joke" by Kundera. Great book. Very interesting (the story takes place in Czechoslovakia during communism).

26114.jpg

On 10/24/2017 at 7:39 PM, Enrico_sw said:

Saving Private Ryan was a good movie as well!

How did you feel about SPR?  When I first saw it, I was a kid and absolutely blown away/nearly traumatized.  It was so intense.  Nowadays, it's nothing to me.  But I still remember the first 3 times I saw that movie.

This is a classic battle scene- it's been almost 20 ? years and still nothing really touches it:

I have the divisional histories of the 29th Infantry division (Landed on Omaha beach)