Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

28 minutes ago, 17 Moments of Spring said:

i don't know, i'm not into war history. but i read in the epilogue that his pour le mérite was a big thing.

Yes, it's the highest award that the nation can bestow on a soldier- (like the Medal of Honor, Victoria's Cross, Hero of the Soviet Union)

Holders of the PLM continued wearing it during their service in the second world war:

GFM von Bock (Army Group Center/South), GFM Rommel (Afrika Korps, Panzer Army Afrika), and IIRC Major Junger (again in WW2). And of course, Hermann Goering

280px-Generalfeldmarschall_Fedor_von_BocGERrommel2.jpg15823_Junger-Ernst.jpgarticle-2389725-01CB755F0000044D-690_306

On 22/10/2017 at 7:48 PM, Cult Icon said:

I'm glad that you brought up BoB- this series means a lot to me and brings back a lot of memories.   My next door neighbor growing up was a Jewish retiree and veteran of the 101. Airborne.

As a matter of fact, BoB brings a lot of memories for me as well. Of the series itself, and of people I used to watch it with as well.

I remember many moments of the series. Like the moment where Compton sees his friends getting hit by a mortar. This scene was in the opening credits. I even remember the musical notes that are played the moment where he stands alone letting his helmet go (it's a turning point in the opening credits melody, even the instruments change). I also remember with whom I was the first time I saw it.

It's good to have memories of people, of books/series, of history. We live in a world where we always have to go forward without ever looking behind. But memories are treasures. Our politicians have pulsions of "making a clean slate of the past", because they claim to replace it with a bright future. IMHO, they don't see that a huge part of their PC thoughts are like ideologies, soft ones, but still. It bothers me. The ones who claim to be better than our past don't even know it to begin with. I've always found it key to understand our past. As time goes by, many good people are left behind. Also many mistakes; but repairing past mistakes often lead to new mistakes (anyway, making this message... reminded me of past rambling on with other people a while ago :smile:)

^ this guy made two great albums in the 70s and then was forgotten in the US. At the same time, he became a superstar in South Africa (without knowing it during nearly 30 years!) His music is perfect. The melodies seem simple at first, but they are very rich, and the lyrics are just great.

13 hours ago, Enrico_sw said:

One of the greatest scenes. Nostalgic, hopeful and then hopeless.

^^

Very good scene.  The effect of being under attack by artillery barrages, rocket artillery, dive bombers, and carpet bombing is incredible for the effected.

This was a signature scene too: