Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

2 hours ago, Prettyphile said:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Macron wants to ban men from wolf whistling and asking women for their phone number in the street under new plans to end 'macho' culture in France

• French President has vowed to end harassment in steets and on public transport
  • A working party has been sent up by his under-secretary for gender equality
  • Marlene Schiappa is looking at what fines to introduce and how to impose them
  • Plans to end 'macho' culture could see wolf-whistling become a criminal offence

And what is funny ? Believe me, street harassment is not something funny AT ALL ! 

1 minute ago, frenchkiki said:

+1million / It started when I 10 for me. Never really stopped till today.

and the article is all wrong anyway

... Sorry to hear that. Fake news and USA, eh ? :D 

Let's say islam brought "macho" culture ( rappist culture ) to another level ...

3 hours ago, jj3 said:

And what is funny ? Believe me, street harassment is not something funny AT ALL ! 

Absolutely

3 hours ago, jj3 said:

Yes sure. Because that is not existing in the US, right ?

I'm glad you posted that, I was looking for it earlier.

6 hours ago, frenchkiki said:

Not true.

The only true part : end harassment in streets and on public transport & that's it :thumbs_up::thumbs_up: & it was about time!

Yes, these harassments are bad and there are some really awful situations in Paris (like people rubbing in the metro).

However, politicians stay politicians. Communication is their only goal and the one-upmanship ball is open... What Prettyphile wrote is true: they want to make whistling and asking for phone number illegal. And these particular measures are extremist ones.

http://www.rtl.fr/actu/societe-faits-divers/marlene-schiappa-veut-faire-la-chasse-au-harcelement-de-rue-7790159916

http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/rue89/nos-vies-intimes/20170919.OBS4852/penaliser-le-harcelement-de-rue-hmm-pas-si-vite.html

Also, feminist associations don't like these laws, because they say it's unapplicable and possibly "stigmatisant" (that's the favorite word of many people these days....... The best word to win an argument without having arguments....)

Unfortunately for the law, the truth is that it's hard to prove the difference between seduction and harassment without having witnesses :/ (and seduction is not a bad behavior if it's respectful). Also, the response should be proportional (stalking is not the same thing as asking for a phone number, even if it's asked twice).

40 minutes ago, Enrico_sw said:

Some time ago, before politicians were itching to make law on everything, there was a thing called being polite and "gallant".... Where are the remnant of these ideas? It's a mystery. :ninja:  They would solve many problems though...

There was also a time when women were ignored if they spoke up about harassment or worse events. They were expected to accept it and be quiet. Not everything was better in the past during the time of politeness, gallantry, and chivalry.

43 minutes ago, jkjk said:

There was also a time when women were ignored if they spoke up about harassment or worse events. They were expected to accept it and be quiet. Not everything was better in the past during the time of politeness, gallantry, and chivalry.

True. Not everything was better. I also think that, in that time, if there were a cad or a stalker in public transport, other people would intervene (but maybe it's an idealized vision)

Nowadays people rarely intervene in public transport (against stalking or any other bad behaviors)

8 minutes ago, jkjk said:

you don't cold approach women?

45 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

you don't cold approach women?

jj3 and kiki were talking about street harassment and street harassment is not the same as cold approach.

Also, cold approach can quickly turn into harassment. This is particularly true when the man persists after being told no or given no response indicating interest.

A cold approach on the street is frequently odd anyway. Usually the women is trying to go somewhere (work, etc.), has no desire to find a significant other on the way, and would prefer to just be left alone.

45 minutes ago, jkjk said:

.A cold approach on the street is frequently odd anyway. Usually the women is trying to go somewhere (work, etc.), has no desire to find a significant other on the way, and would prefer to just be left alone.

I think your answer to my question is an affirmative "no", you don't cold approach.  

Approaching attractive women on the street is normal male activity and in fact almost essential unless one wants to die alone.    I've been approaching women since I was 18.  In the first 4 weeks of living in NYC, I approached around 60 attractive women (age 18-33) and got 10 phone numbers.  A few numbers were converted into friends.  I had absolutely no skill back then and don't remember any negative incidents.  The majority of the time, the women were flattered, smiled, and laughed when I made a move on them..

Yes, a lot of "street harassment" is from cold approach (although keep in mind that women often exaggerate and distort things when they are agitated)

20 minutes ago, Cult Icon said:

Approaching attractive women on the street is normal male activity and in fact almost essential unless one wants to die alone.    I've been approaching women since I was 18.  In the first 4 weeks of living in NYC, I approached around 60 attractive women (age 18-33) and got 10 phone numbers.  A few numbers were converted into friends.  I had absolutely no skill back then and don't remember any negative incidents.  The majority of the time, the women were flattered, smiled, and laughed when I made a move on them..

Yes, a lot of "street harassment" is from cold approach (although keep in mind that women often exaggerate and distort things when they are agitated)

I really haven't thought much about this, I was mainly just agreeing with what jj3 and kiki were saying, but I guess I will try to answer:

Like most things there is a line where it goes from acceptable to not. Based on your stated results, I imagine you tried not to cross that line. And also you didn't shout at women across the street and then follow them when they didn't respond, but there are many men who do both of those things.

I don't think you meant it this way, but I try not to tell someone they exaggerate their responses to situations. This frequently happens to victims of abuse, both women and men, and can result in people being unwilling to report abuse.

Opening women on the street, subway, bus,etc. and striking a 30 second to 5 minute interaction is not a controversial activity .  Your odds of getting the number are high if you sweep her off her feet and entertain her for that duration.  It just happens that public transportation, which has a lot of dead time is ideal for it.  If you're an attractive woman and men constantly do small talk?  Wear a bitch face, put on earphones, and stare at your smartphone.   It's the price you pay for being attractive (there are many great benefits as well for being this in this life).  If it's a big deal? get ugly like the rest of humanity!

If I'm a woman and I'm on my work commute, I think I wouldn't very much enjoy it if I'm approached by like a dozen guys  who all want to chat me up by the time I get to and from work.

I think it's fine in a social setting where it's sort of expected, like a bar or a club, but just on public transportation or out on the street, you are making huge presumptions about how welcome your approach will be.