Bellazon

The "What Are You Thinking About Right Now?" PIP

Francesca

Formerly Imprisoned Journalist Barrett Brown Taken Back Into Custody Before PBS interview

Award-winning journalist Barrett Brown was re-arrested and taken into custody Thursday, the day before he was scheduled to be interviewed for a PBS documentary.

Brown quickly became a symbol of the attack on press freedom after he was arrested in 2012 for reporting he did on the hacked emails of intelligence-contracting firms. Brown wrote about hacked emails that showed the firm Stratfor spying on activists on behalf of corporations. Brown also helped uncover a proposal by intelligence contractors to hack and smear Wikileaks defenders and progressive activists.

Faced with the possibility of 100 years in prison, Brown pled guilty in 2014 to two charges related to obstruction of justice and threatening an FBI agent, and was sentenced to 5 years and 3 months. In 2016, Brown won a National Magazine Award for his scathing and often hilarious columns in The Intercept, which focused on his life in prison. He was released in November.

Jay Leiderman, Brown’s lawyer, told The Intercept Brown was arrested Thursday during a check-in. According to his mother, Brown had not missed a check-in or failed a drug test since he was released to a halfway house in November. Neither his mother or lawyer has been informed where he is being held.

According to his mother, who spoke with Brown by phone after his arrest, Brown believes the reason for his re-arrest was a failure to obtain “permission” to give interviews to media organizations. Several weeks ago, Brown was told by his check-in officer that he needed to fill out permission forms before giving interviews.

Since his release, Brown has given numerous interviews, on camera and by phone. But according to his mother, Brown said that the Bureau of Prisons never informed him about a paperwork requirement. When he followed up with his check-in officer, he was given a different form: a liability form for media entering prisons.

Just last week, Brown was interviewed for two days by VICE news, and his PBS interview was set for Friday.

Leiderman said he had not been presented with a formal justification for the arrest, but was told that it had “to do with failing to abide by BOP restrictions on interviews, which is disgusting.”

Leiderman called the impromptu media restrictions “disgusting,” and said  he believed the arrest was an act of reprisal for criticizing the government. “I would call the people who did this a bunch of chicken-shit assholes that are brutalizing the Constitution,” Leiderman said.

On 4/26/2017 at 9:47 PM, ILUVAdrianaLima said:

Now all u have to do is work for the next 40 years... welcome to the workforce! :p

I was thinking of taking a vacation before I started work....but with what money? :laugh::rofl: 

Can't have asthma either :rofl:

Woman claims United Airlines she was thrown off flight in favor of a CAT when she asked attendants to move the pet because it would 'trigger her asthma'

• On March 4, Donna Wiegel boarded Chicago-bound United flight in Baltimore
  • At the gate, she noticed another passenger boarding with her cat
  • Wiegel alerted staff that she needed to be as far away from the cat as possible
  • Staffers told Wiegel that she needed to swap with another passenger in the rear
  • After she swapped, United crew members told her she needed to be removed
  • Airline told her that they feared she would suffer 'medical emergency' on board 

3 minutes ago, Limerlight said:

This displeases me.

How so?

Anyways, I have stuff to do and I am going back to the great nothing and avoiding human contact for weeks :ninja: Goodbye

Bye.... I wish there more people to talk hockey on BZ. :chicken:

39 minutes ago, Stromboli1 said:

How so?

Bye.... I wish there more people to talk hockey on BZ. :chicken:

I hate the Canucks organisation and I always have, the fans especially in Vancouver are the most wishy washy I don't give a fuck unless we are top of the league band wagon morons I have ever seen. It's a rebuilding time and everyone has abandoned them, a very often referenced columnist that reports on the canucks (I refuse to call him a beat writer) for the biggest newspaper there, Jason Botchford, is a complete and utter moron who writes terrible articles and has the thoughts on hockey of steel pipe. I remember when he was praising Lou on monday, tuesday he said trade him he's garbage, wednesday he said it's not his fault, thursday he said he's the greatest thing since Oprah and friday he said trade him all in a week of writing.

Hockey is a niche thing, look at ESPN laying off almost all the hockey people including Pierre Lebrun who is well respected in the hockey community. Even when I was down for the world cup in Las Vegas this past year the advertising for it was so poor on every sports station I saw in America, the bartender where my father and I were getting drunk every night hadn't heard a lick of it and they have sports stations playing at the bar all the time. So it's hard for (to me) the "average" american to get into it unless you're swept up in a Chicago or something along those lines that really loves the sport

I hate the Canucks organisation and I always have, the fans especially in Vancouver are the most wishy washy I don't give a fuck unless we are top of the league band wagon morons I have ever seen. It's a rebuilding time and everyone has abandoned them, a very often referenced columnist that reports on the canucks (I refuse to call him a beat writer) for the biggest newspaper there, Jason Botchford, is a complete and utter moron who writes terrible articles and has the thoughts on hockey of steel pipe. I remember when he was praising Lou on monday, tuesday he said trade him he's garbage, wednesday he said it's not his fault, thursday he said he's the greatest thing since Oprah and friday he said trade him all in a week of writing.

:rofl: Standings fuckers! Every fanbase has those fans, I think you living and growing up there made you more sensitive to all things Canucks. The Yankees & NY Giants, Ohio State, and Knicks all have terrible fans, but also has good ones too. NY sports radio is full of morons. I'm sure you'd feel the same way about Wild fans if you lived in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area. I've come to grips with it.

I know Botch is a moron, I don't know why people read his articles.

12 minutes ago, Limerlight said:

Hockey is a niche thing, look at ESPN laying off almost all the hockey people including Pierre Lebrun who is well respected in the hockey community. Even when I was down for the world cup in Las Vegas this past year the advertising for it was so poor on every sports station I saw in America, the bartender where my father and I were getting drunk every night hadn't heard a lick of it and they have sports stations playing at the bar all the time. So it's hard for (to me) the "average" american to get into it unless you're swept up in a Chicago or something along those lines that really loves the sport

I love me some Lebrun, he'll get snapped up pretty quickly imo. For the most part the US doesn't give a shit about hockey unless you're in a hockey hotbed. NBC does a terrible job of marketing the sport in the US.

1 hour ago, Limerlight said:

But where does all the money come for the NHL players who become millionaires? :idk: