Bellazon

Men cleverer than women, say scientists

schadenfreude

This is stupid isn't it?

Hypothetically, if it were only a market filled with males, then every Nobel Prize award and whatever there is would belong to a male because the only competition for the prizes would be between males. Are we to conclude then, that males would be smarter than females?

And Nicole raises a good point about environment. Only recently have women actually gained "equality" in the workplace. Realistically most women are not given a chance in the highest ranks of the business world, or anywhere else.

I think this guy should take an IQ test. Maybe he's extrapolating too much information from the data. 5 IQ points is 1/3 of ONE standard deviation based on a normal population, for an IQ test. There is nothing significant there and it may even be a statistical artifact. Maybe I should just read the report :p

Also, larger brains doesn't necessarily mean a higher IQ. It's the structure of the brain that helps with processing, not it's size. I'm pretty sure if he did a comparison of brain volume and surface area, he'd get a difference (not sure if it'll be significant or not) between races as well. <_<

Also, it's funny how men with their "higher IQ and larger brains" still get controlled by their "other" brain :laugh:

5 IQ points is 1/3 of ONE standard deviation based on a normal population, for an IQ test. There is nothing significant there and it may even be a statistical artifact.
1/3 of one standard deviation is somewhat significant* but I think in this case it only means that IQ tests are some suitable for men's mental processes. Women are better in parallel processing.
Also, larger brains doesn't necessarily mean a higher IQ. It's the structure of the brain that helps with processing, not it's size.
Exactly.
Also, it's funny how men with their "higher IQ and larger brains" still get controlled by their "other" brain :laugh:
Exactly. Men have this "negative" brain! :laugh:

Women are superior to men, equally intelligent (but differently) and 1000 times more beautiful!

* depends on the error marginal

5 IQ points is 1/3 of ONE standard deviation based on a normal population, for an IQ test. There is nothing significant there and it may even be a statistical artifact.
1/3 of one standard deviation is somewhat significant* but I think in this case it only means that IQ tests are some suitable for men's mental processes. Women are better in parallel processing.
Also, larger brains doesn't necessarily mean a higher IQ. It's the structure of the brain that helps with processing, not it's size.
Exactly.
Exactly. Men have this "negative" brain! :laugh:

Women are superior to men, equally intelligent (but differently) and 1000 times more beautiful!

* depends on the error marginal

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel like being a reverse-Nazi today, so my question is:

How come there is no female Mozart, Beethven, Chopin, Monnet, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Lucas, Spielberg?

OriginalSin mentioned about environment and red_ed mentioned about "equal opportunity". So I will say this: Since young, Mozart and his sister were taught music by the same teacher, Leopold Mozart (their father). So, if women are indeed as smart as men, how come I never heard about the works of Mozart's sister?

Excerpts from http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20041101/mozart.html :

"Nannerl (Mozart's sister) was a talented composer in her own right. She was touted as the musical equivalent of her brother when the two performed together as children. Her brother's achievements later overshadowed those of Nannerl, but she continued with her music and became a Salzburg piano teacher."

Maybe she didn't have the same creativity as Mozart, or learning capacity. However, you can't make the generalisation that every girl can't play music as well as men...although i'm convinced we have eual intelligence, i guess it's safe for others to think what they want.

But you comparing Mozart to his sister is like comparing a dyslexic person to someone of great articulacy...it's not even, if Mozart's sister had been a boy and still couldn't play as well as him would that be a fair enough arguement? I think it depends on the person rather than the gender

Maybe she didn't have the same creativity as Mozart, or learning capacity. However, you can't make the generalisation that every girl can't play music as well as men...although i'm convinced we have eual intelligence, i guess it's safe for others to think what they want.

But you comparing Mozart to his sister is like comparing a dyslexic person to someone of great articulacy...it's not even, if Mozart's sister had been a boy and still couldn't play as well as him would that be a fair enough arguement? I think it depends on the person rather than the gender

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of arguement is that?

"If Mozart's sister had been a boy..."

So, you are agreeing with me that boys are better than girls?

How come there is no female Mozart, Beethven, Chopin, Monnet, Van Gogh, Da Vinci, Lucas, Spielberg?

OriginalSin mentioned about environment and red_ed mentioned about "equal opportunity". So I will say this: Since young, Mozart and his sister were taught music by the same teacher, Leopold Mozart (their father). So, if women are indeed as smart as men, how come I never heard about the works of Mozart's sister?

"Nannerl (Mozart's sister) was a talented composer in her own right. She was touted as the musical equivalent of her brother when the two performed together as children. Her brother's achievements later overshadowed those of Nannerl, but she continued with her music and became a Salzburg piano teacher."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Come on, women did not have the opportunity to gain such status as men those day, even today it is more difficult for women. It is also possible that men's type of intelligence is better to create music. There are lots of remarkable female composers like Barbara Strozzi (1619-1664), Clara Schumann (1819-1896), Kaija Saariaho (1952- )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_female_composers

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There were actually quite a few female composers, but in the 1500s, when those guys became famous, women were not allowed to do that sort of thing. There are also famous novels, paintings and other things that were done by women but were released under a man's name because of that reason.

It wouldn't be considered a work of art because it was done by a woman.

As for modern day directors, hollywood is still stuck in the capacity that women can't make it as directors etc. But there are producers, writers etc that are female. And most female directors that I can think of (Argento, Coppola etc) are all doing independent films.