Bellazon

Cindy Crawford
Thumbnail

Marsnoop

My friends Im posting this great pic from photographer Stan M. Please can you thank him for the photo and story voting for him on this contest.. every 24 hours until saturday? YOU NEED TO HAVE FACEBOOK LIKE THE PAGE AND VOTE FOR STAN PLEASE HELP HIM IF YOU LOVE THIS RARE PHOTO AND THE STORY BEHIND....

to vote for Stan entry in this contest, this is the NEW LINK:http://bit.ly/Pcb1us

(ends 25 august)

CINDY CRAWFORD — BEFORE INTERNATIONAL FAME

(I’m taking the rest of the day off—very tired…)

BUT FIRST

I initially saw Cindy in some sort of model contest in Chicago (probably at the nightclub FACES, albeit in daylight hours). I believe she was 16 at the time. Immediately there was something (her fabulous looks?) that set her apart from the half-score of other girls.

Cindy, virtually, overnight, became the hottest fashion model in Chicago. ‘Fashion’ was, essentially, a function of the retail stores; notably, Marshall Field.

Top fashion photographer, Victor Skrebneski, had a virtual hold on Cindy much of the time.

Meanwhile, I was shooting for Harper’s Bazaar in the 1980s. I don’t recall the job, but I wanted to book Cindy for a photo shoot. Anthony Mazzola, Bazaars. editor-in-chief, denied me, saying, “We don’t want photographers hiring their girlfriends.”

Of course Mazzola had no idea of who Cindy was, and, most certainly, she was not my girlfriend.

That immediately shattered any possibility that Cindy would become a famous model.

A second time that I tried to book Cindy—this time for a job in Mustique for Bazaar Italia, I was unable to get her because Skrebneski had her iced (a hold for a potential booking). I should have been more insistent with her agency. Instead, I had a number of models stop by my New York hotel room. I chose an unknown, Jill Goodacre, for the assignment.

Jill (later, married Harry Connick, Jr.) came down to Mustique, and did a fine job. The publisher was so taken with her that he booked her in Italy where she did some wonderful photos for Valentino. (Unfortunately, I was not there.)

This photo of Cindy was shot in Chicago back in our early days—I’m not sure if it was made in the 1970s or later.

http://bit.ly/Pcb1us

tumblr_m92uvoJWEK1qf5iqqo1_500.jpg