Bellazon

Voluntary and humanitarian aid

Baby

Ok, i decided to create my thread even if i’m sure they will have answers... XD and that’s why I write a short message.

But I think maybe it could influence some people…

I wanted to know if people there have already worked with humanitarian aid associations.

I think it could be interesting to share experiences.

The last summer I wanted to work in an indian orphanage, unfortunately I had a “trouble” and I cancelled my travel at the last minute.

One of my friends is peruvian and she lives in lima so the next year I will try to work in an orphanage in Lima.

Interesting websites

http://www.mdm-international.org/index.php?id_rubrique=2

http://www.planetngo.org/planetngo-en.html...6fc71206ac92c0f

http://www.travellersworldwide.com/index.htm

http://www.volunteerabroad.com/search.cfm

very nice (Y)

humanitarian world needs people like you. Lima is a wonderful place. You will like it over there.

an old friend of mine stayed in Lima for peace corp. He truly loved the place that he was stationed.

I am thinking of doing a few humanitarian work in the near future but...it might take me awhile.

you know, you can volunteer any where. it's so much fun. the kids are always happy.

keep up the good work *__*

Thank but you don’t need to congratulate me.

Unfortunately you’re right we can work everywhere and that’s the problem.

I’m an “hospitals’ kid” and in countries like France, sometimes hospitals/clinics are hidden orphanages.

I’m very lucky my parents were/are always here for me, I saw them 3 or 4 time every month but in hospital it’s rare to see the parents... some of my friends saw their parents 2 or 3 times in the year or sometimes they hadn’t parents...

One of the worst situation I can remember was a little girl of 3 years old, she became blind and her parents abandoned her in the street. Of course her parents never be found. Sometimes when parents came, little kids hoped it was their parents and they screamed ”mummy daddy” and cried and hugged the adults.

It was so strange.

The adults who spent their time with us were the doctors, the nurses, teachers, animators, and dying people with a terminal cancer or AIDS.

People can think it was horrible but it wasn’t. as you said the biggest part of time kids are happy.

People hadn’t time for hypocrisy. Everybody was very frank and nobody complained of his/her situation because everybody had troubles. There wasn’t competition, jealousy between people. We were allowed to see tv, to go at cinema etc but we didn’t want. We preferred to stay together, speak, communicate, be alive than lose two hours to watch a movie or a tv show.

We were cut of the normal world and in same time we were so near to the reality. It’s hard to explain.

It’s just I know my place is there with the forgotten kids.

By the way you should try a short “mission” of few weeks. It could be interesting. :)

But as you said it needs a big organization. Sometimes people come in a country because they want help populations/kids. They are doctors, teachers etc and they want teach, they want to built houses, bring a medical help etc and all this population focus their needs on this help and when this help disepear it creates a big “hole” inside their economy, education and health. If this help come and leave all the time it’s impossible to built something!

Sometimes people think it’s a help to built houses or schools... but of course government will choose the free help and citizens couldn’t work and win money.

Unfortunately sometimes it’s hard to find a good association who respect the population’s needs/wish

i agree with you to some extent...some organization are just there to civilize the environment and then disappear when there are no more funds.

but building hospitals, houses, schools, and etc. are always good for the community. even if the volunteer doctors, teachers, nurses or other volunteers are not around. personally, i believe that the purpose is to educate and help other people that are in need. therefore, i think it is the responsibility of the healthy people to learn and educate themselves and continue to help others. as for the medicine, that's the biggest part of everything. we rely on chemical medicine too much yet we have forgotten that the best medicines are surrounding us and most of it are in the jungle (plants and stuff).

the best DOCTOR in the world told me once that the mission will continue...because me and my friends will grow up someday and said "put your gloves on it's time for your BOXING lesson".

Find the right organization. the small ones are always hard to find but it is around.

cheers!

Of course this is something good but they shouldn’t build their economy around this help.

When I talked about teachers and doctors I talked about medical and school camps (or people without association, they decided to give help at population and they create a big mess), i didn't talk about hospitals or “real” school.

School and hospital bring a stability and a best future so when people leave their city to live near to the hospital or school it will be positive for them… but when families leave their jobs, their houses etc because they want to be near to the medical/school camp sometimes it can create troubles. sometimes after 2 or 3 months, teachers leave the place to come back in their country and the families haven’t school, haven’t doctors and they have lost their job… so in the end their situation is worst.

These temporary aids are good when they don’t ask an “investment “ or a “sacrifice” from the population

what? i don't quite get what you're talking about.

"When I talked about teachers and doctors I talked about medical and school camps (or people without association, they decided to give help at population and they create a big mess), i didn't talk about hospitals or

Sorry. i wanted to say a classroom or a medical area in a tent. When I talked about a camp it means sometimes isn’t built for a long period and I didn’t talk about rebels but freelancer teachers, doctors, nurses or association.

Sometimes voluntaries or associations create an temporary aids in a place and everybody don’t understand it’s just for few months. people leave their home because they hope a better life and in the end they lost everything.

Doctors, teachers want to bring something positive, they want to help the population but these situations are complicated... and every actions have positive and negative consequences.

It’s happened many times. As you said you know voluntary doctors so I think you are already heard about this problem.

In voluntaries/aids meeting we have already talked about it.

No I don’t talk about these doctors XD don’t see why I should critic them.

I spent the biggest part of my life in hospitals so I meet a lot doctors, nurses , associations, psychologists etc and I never critiqued their job.

Yes, I talk about the third world. (I talked about france in my second message, that’s all. You said there is work everywhere in the world and I said yes, unfortunately even in rich countries kids are abandoned because they are sick)

Sorry if my last message wasn’t clear XD I need to perfect my english :yuckky: :whistle: