Mark Sanchez
Thumbnail

MauiKane

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sanchezf.jpg

Sanchez says shoulder still sore

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post...lder-still-sore

New York Jets QB Mark Sanchez, commenting for the first time on his sore throwing shoulder, gave this update Tuesday on 1050's The Michael Kay Show in his weekly spot: "Feeling good, just a little sore."

Sanchez didn't provide many details, except to confirm that it happened in the first quarter of Sunday's win over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

On Monday, Sanchez underwent an MRI exam, which the team termed "precautionary." Coach Rex Ryan said the results were negative and that Sanchez would start Sunday against the Chicago Bears.

Ryan downplayed the injury, claiming he didn't know about it until after the game. But it evidently nagged Sanchez because he felt the need to take warm-up tosses throughout the game, played in freezing conditions in Pittsburgh.

"I stayed warm and kept warming up on the sideline," Sanchez said. "I threw a lot, kept it loose. So it's feeling better."

Sanchez also addressed Ryan's admission that he considered pulling his quarterback from the Miami loss nine days ago. Clearly, Sanchez didn't take kindly to being called out by his coach, who revealed Monday that he also took away a couple of practice reps from Sanchez last week to send a message that he needs to step up his play -- which he did.

"I mean, we talked about it a little bit," Sanchez said. "I obviously didn't agree with it, but it's not my job to agree with him all the time. He knows that, and I expressed how I feel about this team. I feel like I lead these guys and I feel good with them and they rally around me ... Other than that, he's the head coach and he makes the decisions. As long as I'm in, I'll keep firing and keep playing hard. If he makes the change, then we'll live with it."

you can listen to the interview here--> http://espn.go.com/espnradio/player?rd=1#/...callsign=WEPNAM

Sanchez's Wednesday News Conference

By Jets Public Relations Department

Posted Dec 22, 2010

Transcript of quarterback Mark Sanchez's news conference following Wednesday's midday practice at the Atlantic Health Jets Training Center:

On how important it is for the team to start playing their best…

We definitely want to peak at the right time. I think last week was a step in the right direction. We took care of the football, ran the ball really well and our defense played well, especially at the end when we needed them the most. It was a good step, but it’s important to hit our stride right here at the end of the season and get a little momentum, but it’s not going to be easy because we’re playing a really good Chicago team.

On how he is feeling…

Good. I felt good at practice today. They kept me limited, just to be smart, but if we were playing today, I’m definitely in there. I feel good and I’ll be ready for Sunday

On how he felt playing with his injured shoulder during the Chicago game…

We just talked about it on the sidelines and kept it warm. Rex challenged us last week, so there was no way, me being as competitive as I am, I was coming out. It was one of the best games we’ve played as an offense all year, so I’m glad I stayed in and could help contribute.

On if Coach Ryan’s media attention will be a distraction to the team…

It's definitely not a distraction. It’s a personal matter with Rex, but we’re behind him 100 percent and it won’t affect our team.

On if he feels badly that Coach Ryan is in this position at the end of the season…

It’s not my position to say, but I totally support him. He’s our coach. We’ll rally behind him and it won’t affect us at all.

On Coach Ryan being a large part of the team’s success this season…

As a franchise, potentially, I think we could be the third team in franchise history to make it back-to-back playoffs. We have a tough test this week and another one next week, so it’s important we rally behind him when he needs us.

On if he is using Pittsburgh and Chicago as a measuring stick for the playoffs…

Each week is a measuring stick, I feel like. The couple of weeks before the Steelers game, we hadn’t played our best and it showed in all the stats and the final score. This is going to be a good test for us, just like the Steelers were. We could see either of these teams again in the playoffs, so we need to take these experiences with us and these are as close to playoff games as you get. We’ll take them seriously and we’ll prepare really well.

On how his shoulder is feeling…

Very good. I practiced well today, was limited, just as a precaution and I’ll be ready to go for Sunday.

On if being limited will hinder his preparation for Sunday…

Not at all, I took quite a few reps, just mentally, went through all the footwork and was in there on every running play. I even got a couple of throws in, so it felt good and I’ll be ready to go.

On if he went to the team and asked to have the MRI done on his shoulder…

It was just a precautionary MRI and I’m very pleased with the results. I’ll be ready to go for Sunday. I felt good in practice, felt like I could have done more and they’re just holding me back to be smart. Take it from there, but if we were playing today, I’d play.

On if he mostly just handed the ball off in practice today…

I got a couple of throws in on limited stuff, but you missed it. As soon as you left, I was launching them [joking].

On if he felt pain during the Pittsburgh game…

I don’t know. My head was in another place. I was focused on the game. I wanted to rise to the challenge that Rex gave us as an offense and as long as I can contribute, there was no way I was coming out.

On if there was any reason why he seemed subdued after the win at Pittsburgh…

It was a huge win. It’s just, it doesn’t stop there. I was really proud of our guys and I feel the same way right now. I’m happy about the win, but we have to move on and we have another tough test. You just can’t get too excited because we have another tough one.

On why the team plays so well on the road…

I feel like we have a great routine the night before. We get in, bedcheck is early, guys are focused in the hotel. We know when we go on the road, we have a little less time here at the facility so we have to get our prep in early. It’s just, I think we have a great routine, so that’s everyone involved and I’m just proud of the way we play on the road.

On if he would play if he was limited in practice all week…

No, I’m playing. If we played today, I’m playing.

On how important it is to him to get a full practice in before the game…

I should be able to do that. I’m being safe about it and I’m in for the long haul. We have, hopefully, six, seven weeks left, or whatever it is, and I want to make it through all those weeks. I know I can with our trainers, with [head trainer] John Mellody and the rehab stuff we have going on there, helping me feel good. I’ll do my best to get a full practice in, but if not, I’ll be ready to play.

On when he knew that he hurt his shoulder…

It was pretty early in the game, but it just was one of those things where I tried to stay warm and did everything I could on the sidelines to not let anything tighten up.

On if he noticed during the game he hurt his shoulder…

Sure.

On if he hurt his shoulder the first time he ran the ball on Sunday…

I think so. I just fell funny and it just didn’t feel right, but I felt good throwing on the sidelines and then once you get in the game, your energy and your adrenaline kind of take over and I felt like I could still help the team, so I didn’t want to come out.

On the team overcoming obstacles to be on the verge of the playoffs…

This is a huge stepping stone for us, a big hurdle this week and I feel like our team plays the best when we’re kind of backed up against the wall. That’s when we played our best last year. We know what’s at stake this year and we want to make it to the playoffs. That’s our goal, just make it to the playoffs now, just make it to the dance and we’ll take it as a new season from there. This is our first challenge this week against a very tough Chicago team. They have great fans. I know they’ll be ready to play. Three perennial Pro Bowlers in their front seven and a back end that might be tied or top-three or something for the most picks in the league, so it’s one of the best teams we’ll play and it’s going to be like that from here on out.

On how important it is for him to build off how he played on Sunday…

Everything that we talked about the last few weeks, everything that got us to our nine wins early in the season, that powered us through the playoffs last year — taking care of the ball, using the right footwork, getting rid of the ball when things aren’t right, not having negative plays, knowing the down and distance. I think it was Miami where I tried to throw a ball scrambling close to field goal range, and I threw it high for Santonio [Holmes]. This week I run it a little closer and Nick Folk

hits a chip shot for three points. Those kinds of things, you never want it to happen against Miami, but once it’s happened, you want to learn from it. I think everybody made those strides last week, so it was great.

On last week reinforced his faith in the offense’s ability…

Absolutely, it was just a great feeling knowing that it’s there, knowing that we should be able to do that every week. I’m happy it all worked out. The running game really took off. That was Wayne Hunter's first start — the guy plays awesome. We’re going to need him, and even more this week, so he’s ready for the challenge. It seemed like it was like that with every guy on offense and then the defense, as usual, played great.

On how important it is to control their own destiny and to clinch before next week…

That’s all we could ask for right now and we know it’s not going to be an easy game. There’s not going to be an easy one from here on out. To control your own destiny, win and you’re in, with a week left in the season, that would be the ultimate goal for us now and it’s attainable. If we prepare the right way, if we put together the right game plan like we did last week, we’ll be ready to play and hopefully win.

On how much of a motivation it is to win this week and silence the critics…

Once you make it in the playoffs, it’s a whole new season and we’re looking at it that way. It doesn’t matter how many losses you had in the regular season. We feel like once we get in, we’re going to be a tough team to play against and matchup with. We need to play our best football and it starts Sunday. It starts with me taking care of the football, taking command, starting off right, getting completions early, getting the ball out of my hand, letting our playmakers work because it worked last week. We’ll get the running game going, hopefully, against a tough front-seven and we’ll control our own destiny if things go right.

On if he'll be playing close to being 100 percent on Sunday…

I’m planning on it, whether I am or not. I’m in there. I’m playing, that’s all there is to it, and I have to be on the field. That’s what I’m here for and that’s what I’m going to do.

On whether the offensive line is beginning to peak…

I think all of us kind of have, and it’s only one game. This is going to be another good test. You could see the sense of urgency as we were running to the line. It just looked different when you watched the film. I saw Brandon [Moore], "Meat," driving guys off the ball 10, 12 yards down the field, and that’s his deal, that’s what he can do, and he knows that. It was great to kind of see that kind of fire again from everybody. We keep playing like that, and taking care of the ball, we’ll be just fine.

On how much he has to rely on mental reps in practice when he is physically limited…

It’s important. I’m giving the calls to the other quarterbacks, I’m repeating it in my head, I’m doing the footwork off to the side. In between, we’re playing what we call "invisible football" and I’m out there, Cav [QBs coach Matt Cavanaugh] is telling me as I’m dropping back what read, what progression, “Throw it away,” “Run,” “Tuck it,” little things, “Change your play,” “Audible,” “What’s your check here?” It’s intense. We try to make it as gamelike as possible, and I stole a couple of reps in there throwing, which is kind of my personality. I wanted to feel it out and it felt good.

On if Coach Ryan taking him out of practice for a few snaps at practice angered him…

He knows that we have an understanding that I don’t always agree with him. It’s personal to me and I think he knows that, I think the guys on the team know that. I don’t care if it’s a handoff or a Wildcat play, I want to be in the game. That’s just the way I feel. I’m possessive about this job, so we had a little talk about it, but it’s good. We’re both competitive, so it was good. I think part of it was a psychological thing just to kind of test me a little bit, so we’re good.

On if it was a heated talk with Coach Ryan…

I don’t know. I wouldn’t say that. It was a good talk.

On the understanding that him and Coach Ryan have that they sometimes disagree with each other…

Last week, he knows I disagreed with coming out, that’s all.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/article-1/...cf-1a2b2f9cbdf3

Jets' Sanchez saddened by death of young fan

By DENNIS WASZAK Jr.

The Associated Press

Thursday, January 6, 2011; 3:13 PM

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Mark Sanchez is leading the New York Jets into the postseason with a heavy heart.

The quarterback learned last week that an 11-year-old fan from Floral Park, N.Y., whom he had befriended, died from a rare form of cancer. Sanchez choked up with emotion as he talked about Aiden Binkley during an interview earlier this week with 1050 ESPN Radio, calling him, "My man, Aiden."

Binkley was a big Jets fan, and hoped to meet his favorite player, Sanchez, and the rest of the team. The Jets granted his wish last month, giving an excited Binkley a tour of the facility.

Binkley passed away last Thursday, and the Jets held a moment of silence for the young fan before its regular-season finale against Buffalo.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...1010603931.html

Sanchezes so close, yet so far away

Mark's dad attends every Jets game, supporting his son ... from the upper deck

At some point during the pregame warm-ups Sunday, Mark Sanchez will hear a whistle from the crowd at Gillette Stadium, the kind of ear-piercing, man-made whistle that turns heads. It won't be a female admirer, it will be his father, doing what he's done since Mark started playing football as a young boy.

"It doesn't make a difference where we are," Nick Sanchez was saying Monday. "It could be a high school game with 4,000 people or the Meadowlands with 75,000, he'll hear it. It's kind of like your baby's cry, you just know it. It'll take him a minute to find me in the crowd, but he'll see me and know I'm there. It's been that way forever."

Their forever ritual goes like this: The whistle. Eye contact. A wave. And then Nick Sanchez begins his purposeful journey to the cheap seats, where he prefers to watch the games.

The elder Sanchez will be there in Foxborough, Mass., because he's always there for his son. He was in Indianapolis last weekend and New Jersey before that. In two seasons, he hasn't missed one of his son's starts, racking up approximately 93,000 air miles this season alone. He crisscrosses the country, going from his Southern California home to wherever the New York Jets are playing.

They've got a good thing going.

Mark Sanchez is 19-12 as a starter, plus three playoff wins -- the most of any quarterback in Jets history. On Monday, his father was busy searching the Internet, trying to book his flight to Boston for the AFC divisional playoffs. If the Jets win, it'll mean another trip -- Pittsburgh or Baltimore for the AFC title game -- and his dad will eclipse the 100,000-mile mark.

He's the George Clooney of football dads, always up in the air.

"He gets to do what every dad would love to do -- chase his son around and watch him play football," coach Rex Ryan once said. "It's every man's dream."

Nick Sanchez's dream was born, in part, out of regret. His two oldest sons, Nick Jr. and Brandon, played college football at Yale and DePauw (Ind.), respectively, and he didn't travel to as many games as he had hoped. He made a promise to himself that he wouldn't repeat that with Mark, and he has been there for every step of his son's NFL journey.

This isn't a golden-child thing. In Nick Sanchez's mind, all events are created equal, whether it's an NFL game or a family birthday party or a school event for his grandson. He's close to all three sons, and makes it a point to call them every day. His credo is, "Love 'em 100 times a day."

He was instrumental in Mark's development as an athlete, creating backyard quarterback drills, but he learned awhile ago to step back. On game day, he goes way, way back. Or shall we say way up?

Before the game, after a good-luck embrace with Mark and an "I love you," Nick Sanchez will make his way to the upper deck, heading for the top row -- the Bob Uecker seats. He goes alone, leaving family members behind in their prime seats.

"I bid farewell to them and say, 'I'll see you at the end of the game,'" he said.

He gets weird looks from the ushers and stadium personnel, people wondering why anyone would give up an expensive seat to watch from the nosebleed section. Sanchez has his reasons. Instead of engaging in conversations during the game, he prefers to insulate himself among strangers, remaining anonymous.

"It's somewhat selfish," he said, "but I found it to my liking."

Football parents do quirky things. Former Jets star Curtis Martin's mother, Rochella, attended almost every home game, but she never actually saw the action. She walked the bowels of the stadium during games, afraid to look because she thought she might see her son get hurt.

The late Al Testaverde, father of former quarterback Vinny Testaverde, used to get so nervous that he always stayed home. He didn't watch on TV, either; he usually raked leaves or went to the mall.

Sanchez will look for an empty seat, as far away from the field as possible. Invariably, he'll get booted by the seat holder. No problem. On average, he has to change seats two to four times per game, usually settling in by the end of the first quarter.

He dresses incognito, going as John Q. Fan. He doesn't wear a Sanchez jersey and he doesn't cheer and he doesn't talk back when fans say bad things about his son.

"I've heard Mark referred to in a very pleasing fashion and I've heard his name defamed on a number of occasions," Sanchez said. "It goes both ways. I take in all the sentiments of fans both home and away. It's a wonderful way to watch a game. I can just concentrate on what's happening."

He's been recognized once or twice by fans in his section, probably because he carries a Rose Bowl backpack that bears the emblem of USC, Mark's alma mater. In Lucas Oil Stadium last Saturday night, he remained anonymous until Nick Folk's game-winning field goal as time expired. He thinks he may have blown his cover when he let out a restrained "Yes!"

Sanchez, the antithesis of a Little League parent, tries not to get emotional during games. He stays quiet and keeps his opinions to himself, but he's always there. He has missed only one game in two seasons, skipping the trip to Tampa last season because Mark stayed home with a knee injury.

It's an expensive proposition, making 20-plus trips a year. Sanchez, 62, is no Donald Trump, still working full-time for the Orange County Fire Station No. 6. (Yes, that's why Mark wears No. 6.) If the airfare is ridiculous, he has to fly alone, his wife, Maddy, volunteering to stay at home.

Sanchez has become an experienced traveler, always researching different fares and checking weather reports. Now that it's the postseason, he goes week to week, refusing to plan ahead to the Super Bowl in Dallas. If the Jets win two more games, he will be there, of course, because he's always there.

"I'm not there as a fan," Nick Sanchez said. "I'm there as a dad."

If you happen to be in Gillette Stadium on Sunday, look up. Take a glance to the last row. Look for a gray-haired man in a thermal coat, with fleece-lined jeans, insulated boots and a backpack. He might not be smiling or cheering, even if things are going well down below, but he will be the happiest man in the place.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/col...&id=6009816

• 2 weeks later...

Quarterback Mark Sanchez #6 of the New York Jets warms up on the field against the Pittsburgh Steelers during the 2011 AFC Championship game at Heinz Field on January 23, 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

marksanchez2011afcchamp.jpg

Mark Sanchez #6 of the New York Jets reacts during their 2011 AFC Championship game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at Heinz Field on January 23, 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

algmarksanchez.jpg

Mark Sanchez and Braylon Edwards may be down, but they were still out. The Jets quarterback and his wide receiver licked their wounds at Juliet Supper Club in Chelsea, where they landed early Monday after returning to NYC from their 24-19 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday.

A source tells us Edwards arrived around 2:30 a.m., and Sanchez joined him an hour later. The two men did shots together, Sanchez quaffed some Champagne, and Edwards even got on the club's mic to reassure the crowd, which included Tyson Beckford and Knick Roger Mason, that the Jets would "be back" next year. (Promises, promises) Perhaps because the season is over, Sanchez was also spotted chatting up one of the club's hot bartenders.

alg-mark-sanchez-jpg.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...