Bellazon

Computer Problems

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! I really hope someone can help me!

Just today, when I tried to play a video (.avi) with Windows Media Player, after 2 seconds a blue screen appeared (the Blue Screen of Death... :( ) and my PC restarted. I tried to open a different video file and the same thing happened. I tried to open yet another video file with another program (VLC) and the same thing happened.

Videos that open with QuickTime have no problem, neither flash videos (.flv)

I had no problems with playing videos up till this evening... I remember last night playing a video and no problems! and I didn't install any programs or updates!

My PC works fine and the only problem is when I play videos!

what happened?????

any ideas plz...

:( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• 7 months later...

Hi guys- I really need some help :pinch:

My Fujitsu Siemenes monitor is turning on and off-especially when using messenger or playing some games-it freezes

I started looking about information about it on forums-my computer just came back from repair and I really don't want to send it again(though from what I found there's no other choice :pinch: )

So in these forums the main problems seemed CPU or video card overheating.

I downloaded SpeedFan to see the temperature of my CPU and there's a fire (burning) logo :|

here's a pic

111111.png

this probably means the CPU is the problem, right?I mean is 85 C normal for a 2.80 Ghz CPU?can that be possible? :| :idk:

I thought of opening the computer and clean the CPU with a "hair drier" since I had maybe 2 or 3 months ago a similar case - though back then the whole computer turned off

could this mean that maybe it's after all the video card overheating?

Thanks in advance :flower:

btw if I have after all open the computer I need to have a special hand wrist strap or otherwise ESD can occur right?

From my own experience with SpeedFan, those burning flame icons are no cause for concern. I think they trigger based on your target temp anyway, so you could set your target temp to 4 degrees celcious, and thus it'd always show that icon. Never the less, 84C does seem rather hot for a CPU. If it's a CPU with Core architecture (I'm guessing it's probably not) but try CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ it's more accurate.

Your monitor issue sounds more like a video card problem; video cards usually run hotter than all other components, even when they're idle.

From my own experience with SpeedFan, those burning flame icons are no cause for concern. I think they trigger based on your target temp anyway, so you could set your target temp to 4 degrees celcious, and thus it'd always show that icon. Never the less, 84C does seem rather hot for a CPU. If it's a CPU with Core architecture (I'm guessing it's probably not) but try CoreTemp: http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ it's more accurate.

Your monitor issue sounds more like a video card problem; video cards usually run hotter than all other components, even when they're idle.

I really don't want to play with speedfan (like you said - set the target temp) , I installed it only because CoreTemp didn't work for me. My computer was just formatted and I don't have WinZip (or WinRar I don't remember the diference between them). I only needed speed fan to tell me the temperature for the CPU so I could know it's overheating.

And the monitor turns off especially when playing games so you're probably right-it's either the CPU or video card- in this case do you have to put a special fan for the video card or ....? :idk:

and I don't know if my CPU is Core archictecture - when I type dxdiag in Run it says Intel Pentium. Is this what you meant?

thanks a lot btw :flower:

Open up your computer and clean the dust out. 95% of the time, that what it is.

I'll try this and hope I don't break something :laugh:

My computer was just formatted and I don't have WinZip (or WinRar I don't remember the diference between them). I only needed speed fan to tell me the temperature for the CPU so I could know it's overheating.

As I know it, WinZip handles most compression and archival file types, the most commonly used being .zip - WinRar handles everything WinZip handles, plus the format called .rar, most of the files you'll see around or will download will either be .zip or .rar, so really, it makes more sense to get WinRar.

and I don't know if my CPU is Core archictecture - when I type dxdiag in Run it says Intel Pentium. Is this what you meant?

Yeah it's what I meant : ) you don't have Core architecture, you have an Intel chip set. These run a lot hotter as standard than Core chips.

Well... if there's a lot of moisture in the room, what you'll get is a dustcake inside the fins of your CPU heatsink. It's completely and utterly disgusting and it's a very common thing. You got to look under the fan and if it's there you got to pull the heat sink off, take the fan off the heatsink and literally scrape the dustcake off. Get as much as you can off of it and then screw the fan back onto the heatsink and put the heatsink back on the cpu.

or... if you find that too disgusting, you can always buy a new cheap cpu cooler for like $20.

Make sure you've touched something metal before you do it though. You don't want any static build up on you.

What are you running anyway? Pentium 4 HT?

Well... if there's a lot of moisture in the room, what you'll get is a dustcake inside the fins of your CPU heatsink. It's completely and utterly disgusting and it's a very common thing. You got to look under the fan and if it's there you got to pull the heat sink off, take the fan off the heatsink and literally scrape the dustcake off. Get as much as you can off of it and then screw the fan back onto the heatsink and put the heatsink back on the cpu.

or... if you find that too disgusting, you can always buy a new cheap cpu cooler for like $20.

Make sure you've touched something metal before you do it though. You don't want any static build up on you.

What are you running anyway? Pentium 4 HT?

yes - pentium 4 HT

and that's not the case - the computer is clean.

My dad just brought it home after "repair" and it still shows 83 in speedfan. He said that the repairer had had another software that showed the CPU temperature and it had said 81 or 82 - something like that.

The repairer was obviously a jerk since he told my dad that the Power in Screen Saver was turned on, and nothing was wrong at all with the computer :mellow:

Do you guys know what should be the average temperature? :idk: So I can convince someone that the fan should be changed :banghead:

I mean nothing is different, the monitor still hasn't turned off but it's working since only an hour. I'm looking forward it tomorrow. :ermm:

About half what you're getting considering you're CPU is basically idle... then again I only ever use AMDs myself. My dad only ever uses Intel but he usually never goes past 65 with full load. 82 shouldn't cause your CPU to shut down though.

Take a picture of your computer's guts. 82 is severely abonormal. I swear it must be because your heatsink isn't getting enough circulation. Where do you keep you computer?