Bellazon

Windows 7

I have a copy of the release candidate for Windows 7 through my MSDN account...

It's installed on my laptop and I must say... the interface upgrades are soooooooooooooo sweet and it's heck faster than Vista.

1. Formatted hard drive into 3 partitions

2. Installed Windows 7 on partition 1

3. Installed Ubuntu 9 on partition 3 (partition 3 was partitioned again with a 3 gig swap and the rest in ext3, grub was installed on patition 3)

4. Downloaded EasyBCD and added Ubuntu to the Windows 7 bootloader

I must say though, in Vista swiping my finger on the biometric scanner took like 30 seconds to log me in. With Windows 7, it's almost instant.

My only issue is that I have to find a new anti-virus. SEP doesn't seem to want to install.

• 2 weeks later...

Never had a failed drive. Maybe overheated, but even drives have safety switches too nowadays. Once someone makes an OS that will not wear out an SSD prematurely, I'll make the switch. Right now, they're just not worth the money.

My only issue is that I have to find a new anti-virus. SEP doesn't seem to want to install.

SEP MR4 works perfect. It slows the startup down a bit but it's still magnitudse better than Vista but not quite as fast as Server 2008.

Also, downgrading to Ubuntu 8.04, 9.04 doesn't like my docking station.

Also also, I can't login to the print server at school since Windows 7 doesn't let me login under any other domain than what my machine is on. Boo to that. This requires some additional playing around. I'll make this work.

• 2 weeks later...

Visual Studio is running as good as it can. Removed all components that aren't needed for C++ because that's all I'm really coding in right now and it's running okay. It loads almost instantly. Eclipse C++ doesn't like 7 yet. May'be I'll try again later.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

you will love 7.

7 is so much better than xp. i kid you not.

it is a completely different animal from vista.

people think operating systems are about the gui but this is wrong. windows 7 is the single most stable os i've ever used on a pc. that's saying a lot since i really love my linux based systems.

• 4 weeks later...