Bellazon

Chris Martin
Thumbnail

SpanishEyes

- Looking after your ears is unfortunately something you don't think about until there's a problem.

- Music comes from a place we don't know.

- Record sales don't really mean anything. For us, the pressure is imagining some 15-year-old kid in Cincinnati who buys our album and doesn't feel like he wasted his pocket money.

- Some people misconstrue our band just to be a commercial venture.

- The goal is to try and make the perfect song. Which of course will never happen.

- There's a reason why people who've had bad relationships with their parents listen to angry stuff.

- I know being on a major label is meant to be antiquated, but we're fine with it.

- I personally really like getting a proper album with artwork and everything.

- I think shareholders are the great evil of this modern world.

- I think that the fact that a relationship becomes public is a bit of a bummer. Because it can distract from the real reason why you're together, which is that you just like each other.

- I'm competitive with anyone who writes a good song - I don't care if it's a band or solo artist or whoever.

- I've never been cool and I don't really care about being cool. It's just an awful lot of time and hair gel wasted.

- It's more egalitarian on the Internet - anyone can put anything up. But in terms of the money it takes to allow a band to get good, there's less of it to invest.

- Maybe it's because I'm English, but in terms of how people perceive us I only pick up on the negative side of it.

- Music is split up now into little pockets.

- So I have probably 1,200 little bits of paper with notes, which when the Ambien really starts to kick in, don't really make much sense. Say what you like about prescription drugs, but they do help when you're sequencing a record.

- Sometimes we have criticism that is very constructive.

- There comes a point where it doesn't matter how many zeroes are at the end of your bank account.

- We aren't cool and never will be.

- Well, I don't like the word 'rock star,' the two words, 'rock star.' Not even 'soft rock star. Not even limestone star. I don't like those words.

- What makes us a bit nervous is, in this instant age, to release something that might take more than one listen. Where everything is instantly judged on YouTube or something! It's a bit like releasing a horse and cart on a racetrack.

- You can sometimes get your own feelings across more strongly if you pretend that you're singing it from someone else's angle. But it's always from me. It's just a new way of framing it.

- It's very hard to find things that rhyme with North American Free Trade Agreement.

- I think it's safe to say that there is no greater place to play in the world than your great city.

- We rely more on enthusiasm than actual skill. Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically and people will like it more.

- Well, once we finish something, I can't really listen to it because all I hear are problems.

- When you're on your fifth album, you are going to be judged against all your previous work and expectations.

- You can never say you're big - I don't think you can ever take anything like that for granted.

- You gotta wear the right trousers if you're gonna be a rock star.

- You know, it's possible for two humans to be in a relationship without there needing to be some public reason for that relationship.

- That's just about girls. It's weird that whatever else is on your mind, whether it's the downfall of global economics or terrible environmental troubles, the thing that always gets you most is when you fancy someone.

- It seems surreal that we're going to play concerts again, because I haven't met anyone who likes us for two years.

- Everyone tells me it's very healthy. It's very depressing, but it's very healthy. We always have this bubbling level of vitriol.

- I've just come to terms with the fact that there is a group of people out there who is interested in one side of things that I'm not really interested in.

- Somewhere in the world Alan McGee is having a heart attack. He said we'd never make it.

- I send my love to Liam. We're not in a fight with everyone - except George Bush.

- Some people are into bondage... and some people are into crossdressing... and some people are into Coldplay. It's okay, I don't mind being a fetish.

- The most extravagant thing I've ever bought is 95 tops all the same.

- Country is a very sleeping beast within us.

- Some of you probably hate us but I couldn't give a fuck [can we use that] because we're the best act in the world.

- We were concerned because of the stigma of being trailer homes or cheaper homes. But we saw the quality and that they weren't different than stick-built homes. We realized this was a better house than what we were building.

- Economically, unfair trade will benefit nobody in the long run, as poorer countries will be bled totally dry and will become unable to produce anything.

- Our Canadian fans are extraordinary — we love Canada.

- We haven't won any awards for our songwriting for a while so this means an awful lot to us.

- I definitely appreciate opportunities in life more than anything else after going through that. God has a way of getting your attention. I didn't know if I'd ever play basketball again. I'm very thankful.

- How on earth could anybody stand in a field with these people and say that it's the right thing to do to dump their excess produce cheaply on a third world country? It's beyond me. But the truth is, the people responsible haven't talked to the farmers in the areas affected.

- I can?t deny it 100 percent, but at this point, there is no information to support that (report). Obviously, our hybrid (engines) work pretty well with smaller vehicles.

- We realized we were able to build the same house at the same price or less with less headaches. It makes it easier for us to build the houses.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...