Bellazon

Fernando Llorente
Thumbnail

urrutxua

Llorente dismisses Barca, Real links

Fernando Llorente is flattered by speculation linking him with Real Madrid and Barcelona but insists he is focused on Athletic Bilbao.

Llorente has found himself in the spotlight following a fine start to the season, which has seen him score three times in Athletic's six Primera Division matches and then net three crucial goals for Spain over the last week.

Against Lithuania on Friday he struck twice in quick succession just after half-time to put the world champions on course for a 3-1 home win, and then against Scotland on Tuesday he climbed off the bench to volley home a late winner in a hard-fought 3-2 victory.

Llorente's success in recent times - he netted 23 goals in all competitions last season - has not gone unnoticed with Primera Division superpowers Madrid, whose sporting director Miguel Pardeza this week revealing his admiration for the powerful 25-year-old, and Barcelona both reportedly following the Pamplona-born hitman.

However, Llorente is not letting the speculation get to him, telling Spanish radio station Cadena Ser: "It's all a little excessive. I've scored goals but neither is it such a big deal. This interest is flattering and it's a sign that I'm doing my job well."

When asked about the links to Madrid and Barca, he added: "I'm only thinking about Athletic, I don't have my mind on anything more."

Following his exploits over the last week, Llorente now has seven goals in 12 appearances for Spain.

That is a hugely impressive strike-rate, but Llorente admitted: "They are good numbers, but the difficult thing is to continue maintaining that level when you play more games. That's were (David) Villa is, look at the figures he has, they are spectacular."

Villa netted his 44th goal against Scotland - moving him level with Raul as Spain's leading scorer - in what was his 69th appearance for the reigning world and European champions.

Llorente to replace Rooney at United?

Manchester United are already preparing for life without Wayne Rooney with Fernando Llorente their target this January.

The Athletic Bilbao striker has caught the eyes of potential suitors after scoring three goals in two games for Spain in the Euro 2012 qualifiers.

According to Spanish publication Marca, the Premier League giants are among the clubs interested in the 25-year-old whom they see as a replacement for Rooney.

Reports also claimed Llorente has been seen speaking with Martin Ferguson, son of United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

However, Bilbao are reportedly asking for around €36 million for their star striker, which could put off the interest of United, who are not in the best of financial health.

Meanwhile, Real Madrid and Barcelona are also believed to be hot on the heels of the hitman.