Bellazon

Photoshop Tutorials

Blending: A Llama Tute

Tools Required:

- Photoshop

- Some patience

Tips:

Blending well can be quite difficult. So here are some tips to make the job easier

- Pick pictures from similar settings (eg both at the beach) it'll make background blending a lot easier. Even better select a set of photos from the same set

- pick pictures with similar lighting. you can have 2 pictures from the same photoshoot but if ones got bright lighting on it and the others shadowed it ends up looking odd and it takes a lot of tweaking to even get them looking similar.

Kay onto the tute

Step 1:

Pick your pictures. Note the similar setting and lighting

llamatute15gu.jpg

Step 2:

Open your new canvas and paste your pictures onto it, and position them where youd like them to be. Now go to your brush tool, pick a soft circular brush (not the hard circles the fuzzy circles) and start erasing parts of one of the layers so your work begins to look like this:

llamatute25du.jpg

(i am erasing parts of layer 3 in this example)

Step 3:

Step 2 gives you a basic idea of blending. now you have to tidy things up. this may involve a lot of zooming in, switching from soft brushes to more closely defined ones or using the selection tool to select and delete parts you want to erase. Just be patient, do tweaking. if you want to try something but are scared it might make a mess, just duplicate your image and then if it doesnt turn out to your liking go back to the old one. after some tweakign this is what i ended up with:

tweakedproducts0gy.jpg

Extra tips

- got problems with blending say.. white and off white? layer modes such as overlay or brightening highlights just magics flaws away.

- if you have an edge or something that wont blend and no size specifics just crop it straight out of the shot.

- Background run out? use the cllone brush to continue it or repaste the photo if its a repeating background (like the sea in thie shot) to give you extra distance

anyway that was just a quickie. ihope that helped. its my blending method anyway.

Great tutorial!

One Q

How do I do this?

Open your new canvas and paste your pictures onto it

And I was also wondering how can I just overlap two pictures and divide them.. I mean like a flag that has two vertical colors, the colors being the two pics, one in each side.

ok open a new canvas. its just basically going control+n then specify the size of the picture you want (say if its a banner for bz 140 px by 500 px or something) and then press ok and you get a new blank canvas.

for the next thing i dont quite get what you mean? like you want to merge 2 pictures of a flag into one?

yeah please! i cant work it out either sorry dude, do you want to just split an image up into two separate images or do you want to have a piece of an image (say a person) placed in a different image (for example a different background) or something completely different?

Alright, here's a very drawn out tutorial and I have no idea if it makes sense.

Part 1

First, cap the part of the video you wish to use. I took about 40 caps and practically cut them in half. Here's what I ended up with:

capshot8nv.jpg

You now have 1 of 2 choices. You can either build the animation first, or the base image. We'll start with the animation here.

Open up photoshop and open up your images. Select the first, and paste each consecutive image on top until you have all your images in your layer pallette like so:

window2lm.jpg

Save as a psd (if you so feel. I did because I save everything), then click on the "change to imageready" button on the bottom of your tool pallette.

imagereadybutton8bt.jpg

In imageready, create as many frames as you have layers (we can delete some later if needed.) In this case, 31.

frames1wo.jpg

Next, for each frame, turn on a layer (so for frame one, layer one is selected. frame two, layer two.). Once all the frames are set, select all using shift (click the first frame, hit shift, hit the last frame), then select the speed of your animation by clicking where it says 0 sec. In this case, I chose "other" and set it at .15. To save the animation on it's own make sure to select the "optimized" tab at the top of your window.

optimized8bq.jpg

On the optimization pallette (WINDOW > OPTIMIZE), fiddle with the settings until it's to your liking.

Once it's set, go to FILE > SAVE OPTIMIZED AS.

Your animation is born.

alelips4pk.gif

Part 2

As is painfully obvious here, the images for this are kind of horribly dark so we're going to fix that now. If you don't need to do that, skip to Part 3. If you do, keep going. Remember that what I do you will not nesecarily do as there may be different issues with your images.

Flipping back to Photoshop, you'll notice the layers are still set up as they were in ImageReady. Here, turn on ALL your layers and starting at the top, start your adjustments. What I did to this image and all consecutive images (in other words, after I finished this, I applied the same settings to the next and the next image until I was all the way through each image, shutting them off as I finished) is this:

Brightness&Contrast: 10/40

Color Balance: +20 -8 -10

Curves: 100 150

Desaturate / Fade to 40%

There is a certain effect that I am going for, so the coloring I get is on purpose. You may or may not like what those settings do, so screw around until you find something you like. You can feel free to flip back to imageready as we're now going to resize the animation.

Using shift again, select all your frames then select the SELECT tool (a box of dotted lines). I want my animation to be squarish so I set my select tool to a fixed aspect ratio. You're free to do as you wish. Once you have the area you want (if you're even cropping), go to IMAGE > CROP. Next, go to Image > Image Size to resize the image. After that's all finished, I end up with this:

alelips27pi.gif

I may or may not resize it again later.

Part 3

We now make our base image. I usually do this in Photoshop and transfer it over, since I have all my pretty filters and brushes easily available. Keep in mind the size of the animation when you're making your base image, and leave a section for it to be put. If you need to resize it again, go to Image > Image Size in Imageready. There's another option, which will be covered later.

After much fiddling, this is my base image:

base8dy.jpg

I am, however, not done yet. I want to place my animation in that BIG white box, but "captures" of it in the smaller one. So flipping back to imageready, I pick two of the captures that I want, get my textured brush out and end up with this:

base20by.jpg

Part 4

Now comes the fun of putting the animation ONTO the sig created above, and applying that same polaroid effect to it. First, go to your animation in image ready and go to Edit > Canvas Size, making it the size of your base image.

With ALL FRAMES SELECTED, create a new layer and move it to the very bottom of your pallette, underneath the first sceen capture, and paste your base image. I've come to notice that my "animation" is a bit big, and also needs to be turned to fit it's area. to do that, link all your layers (when one is selected, there's a paintbrush shape near your image. on the ones not selected, if you click in that area a little 'link' thing will appear. do this on each later), excluding the base layer. Once everything is linked, click on the first little icon by the word "unify" on your layers pallette. This stands for "unify layer position". Which means when one layer moves, they all move.

Now, select every frame again, and hit ctrl+t which stands for freetransform. Remember to keep shift held down as you resize. You can release when you rotate the image.

Now to put my polaroid in, I create a new layer, this time ABOVE all the screen captures. I paste my polaroid in and get it just so:

base31tk.jpg

Next, I delete the black, make sure everything is aligned then save it as a gif as I did with the original image.

Here's the final product:

withborder0gq.gif

NOTE: Do NOT use this sig, it's not for you :p

Sorry for the dumb question, but how do you "cap" a video :dontgetit:

For that, I used Cyberlink's PowerDVD. You can also use something like BSplayer, or if you have the paitence, windows media player. I recommend downloading the trial for Cyberlink. It's easier to figure out ;)

Hey Meghan, how do you cap with Windows Media Player? :unsure:

:idk: if this applies for Photoshop, but hey. Just know that this is slow, and in my opinion annoying, and it's not the player that's capping it's you >.>

First, right click on your desktop and select properties. Next, click settings, then advanced, then troubleshoot. Slide the "Hardware Acceleration" slider to "none" (all the way to the left) and then hit okay. You can now pause and hit print screen for windows media. If you have a LOT of paitence and a mouse that's very forgiving, you can get a couple of scenes that way.

I have neither so :laugh:

:idk: if this applies for Photoshop, but hey. Just know that this is slow, and in my opinion annoying, and it's not the player that's capping it's you >.>

First, right click on your desktop and select properties. Next, click settings, then advanced, then troubleshoot. Slide the "Hardware Acceleration" slider to "none" (all the way to the left) and then hit okay. You can now pause and hit print screen for windows media. If you have a LOT of paitence and a mouse that's very forgiving, you can get a couple of scenes that way.

I have neither so :laugh:

Ohhh I see. Yeah, I've got no patience for that either :laugh: Thanks for answering though. And sorry for getting off the topic of PS :laugh: :p