Bellazon

Katie Fogarty
Thumbnail

Ariesdior

Interview on www.saintlouisfashionweek.com with Katie Fogarty

Since traveling to New York in September, Saint Louis Fashion Week model Katie Fogarty’s career has exploded into a whirlwind of high-fashion photo shoots and top-designer fashion shows. Though she received much attention for a fall at the SS09 Prada show (the video has received nearly one million hits on YouTube), the 16-year-old St. Louis native, discovered by Jeff and Mary Clarke of Mother Model Management, is most known for being one of fashion’s most promising new faces, with accolades that include "Top 10 Newcomer" by models.com."

Q: Where were you discovered?

A: I was 13 coming out of Hollister at West County Mall and Jeff and Mary Clarke approached me. I almost ran in fear of them saying I did something wrong!

Q: Had you thought about modeling before?

A: Yes, but I never thought I would actually live this life.

Q: Tell me about your experience at Saint Louis Fashion Week, during which you walked in the Miacro and Meghan by Meghan Fabulous shows.

A: The best part was when Kayla Travers and I closed the Meghan show and bowed at the end!

Q: What other shows did you walk in during the SS09 season?

A: Jill Stuart, Naeem Khan, Ohne Titel, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Philosophy di Alberta Ferretti, Kenzo and Prada.

Q: What do you think about when you’re on the runway?

A: I think, "I love my life!"

Q: How has your life changed since New York Fashion Week (September 08)?

A: I go to a new school, know countless designers and have made great friends with people around the world.

Q: What editorials and ad campaigns have you done?

A: I’ve done Teen Vogue, British Vogue, Dazed and Confused, The London Sunday Times, The Telegraph, Japanese Vogue, Qvest and V Magazine, as well as campaigns for Balenciaga and Miu Miu.

Q: Do you prefer print or runway?

A: I really cannot say because both are extremely exhilarating and produce beautiful photos. I love runway because of the craziness and production aspect, and print because it truly creates art.

Q: Describe a typical day at a photo shoot.

A: Well it depends. In an only-girl shoot, you get there, talk to the people running the shoot, go into hair and makeup, shoot, change, touchup, shoot, change, lunch, etc. But multiple-girl shoots entail long waiting periods of me snacking on the delicious catering, reading a book, doing homework or hanging out with the other models. Either way, shoots usually start around 9 am and end at 6 or later.

Q: Describe a typical day during Fashion Week.

A: You get to the first show at call time (usually 3 hours before show time), go into hair and makeup, hang out with my friends, eat some catering, put the outfit on, walk, come out and do it all over again. Next season, I will probably walk in around three or more shows a day—at least I hope so!

Q: What, in your mind, was the biggest moment thus far in your modeling career?

A: The Prada show.

Q: Will you ever wear Prada shoes again?

A: I already did! And I hope to continue to. Prada is an amazingly-inventive line of clothing that I hope I can remain a part of.

Q: How are you handling all of the new attention you’ve been getting?

A: When I'm at school or wherever, sure some people whisper and talk. But my true friends treat me normally. I need a little normalcy in my life!

Q: What's the best advice someone has given you about modeling?

A: That I will not be right for everyone, so do not take anything personally.

Q: Are there any models you look up to?

A: Malgosia Bela because she has her Master’s, a family and an incredible career.

Q: What are the best and worst aspects of modeling?

A: The best is that I get to travel the world, and the worst is that sometimes I find out about traveling the world no more than a day in advance.

Q: What are three things you need to take with you when traveling?

A: Leggings, my laptop and my phone.

Q: Are there any exciting upcoming jobs you can talk about?

A: Let's just say that I leave for Paris on January 2, and then to London on January 7!

Q: In ten years, where do you see yourself?

A: No clue. I just want to be healthy, happy and surrounded by the people who love me.