Bellazon

Which has been the best decade for music?

Greenpea

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The 90's had some amazing music espically in grunge with bands like Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden

The 00's i have felt like so far it's been fairly weak, but there has been some great albums (Fleet Foxes self titled, Spock's Beard's V)

The 80's were amazing for bands like Iron Maiden and Van Halen

The 60's i feel was an outstanding period of music

The 50's were pretty dam good aswell.

Even going back to the 40's 30's 20's They all had good music (alot of it back then was Jazz and Blues i beleive)

But i have to say the 70's. Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Rush, Genesis, Sabbath, and other bands like those were putting out amazing music that i feel still hasn't been matched to present day.

:hehe: just my thoughts

I think your question is wrong.

Maybe you should ask “which decade was the best from the musical industry”

But it’s hard to compare the 60’s and the 90’s..

During the 60’s it was very expensive to record an album and same thing for bands’ tours! Plane was really more expensive than now. ditto for the public/fans! if you if bought the “wrong” CD you lost your money… radio and tv was very limited… musical magazines too! they focused on Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, Cat Steven, The Doors, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Black Sabbath etc etc etc

So people bought their albums and bands who hadn’t the luck to be on the radio/magazines/tv stayed unknown from the public. actually they are always unknown because it’s like the old movies…They are somewhere in a box, in a hidden place, they are half destroy and they will stay hidden forever. Now, the actual music is on internet and there are so different labels…

And now we had forgotten the bad old bands/music…

when labels know a kind of music has success they focus on this music… so it’s hard to create something new and become famous in same time… or you need to be a very lucky person! But sometimes people have luck! :)

By the way I think musicians, their art, their music is influenced by their favorite bands/music and in the 60’s there wasn’t music as the Hip-Hop, Electronic, New Wave, Trip-Hop, Hardcore, Mathrock (limited at Frank Zappa and it was more an experimental music than Mathrock), Metal, Grunge, techno etc etc etc

I think the best decade for the music is now… because now if people don’t take care of the radios, magazines and TV they are totally free and they can listen what they want, when they want.

For the musical industry/talent I will say the best decade was the 60’s.

And about my personal taste I will say 1985/1995 (I know this is not a decade but this is 10 years…)

My favorite decades are 70's and 90's... The former - because of hard rock: Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and prog giants: Pink Floyd, Yes, King Crimson. I love the 90's for bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Rage Against The Machine, Tool, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains... But I think the most important decade for music as a whole was the 60's - it was when Jimi Hendrix appeared and changed rock music forever.

• 2 months later...

If you want to go by most important... Then look no further then the 1930's. As Qball said the 60's were the most important due to Hendrix, let's back up. What about a highly respected Delta Blues artist named Robert Johnson? If i may quote wikipedia:

"Johnson's songs, vocal phrasing and guitar style have influenced a broad range of musicians, including Muddy Waters, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Johnny Winter, Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton; Clapton has called Johnson "the most important blues singer that ever lived"." Later in the same Page,: "This new fan base included future rock stars such as Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones, Jimi Hendrix, and Eric Clapton." And a quote by Robert Plant: "Robert Johnson, to whom we all owed our existence, in some way."—Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin, on NPR's Fresh Air, recorded in 2004.

Songs: Cross Road blues, Covered by Cream and many other artists though cream called it: "Crossroads." Traveling Riverside Blues, covered by Led Zeppelin. Rambling On My Mind, covered by John Mayall & The Blues Breakers, featuring Eric Clapton. Terraplane Blues, has been covered alot.

I'm not saying that Hendrix isn't one of, if not the most important artist ever, it's just artists like Robert Johnson that the general public may not know as well get over look in their influence on some of music's greats.