Bellazon

2009 SI Swimsuit Issue

Tracking The 2009 Swimsuit Edition Locations And Ladies

Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition is scheduled to hit newsstands in a month, and as of yet, we've seen precious few guesses as to who--and more importantly--where will be featured. Ahead of the 2008 edition, we managed to track down a couple locations before our issue arrived, including Israel and the US Virgin Islands. What might this year's mag include?

Early chatter has it that Jessica Gomes of Perth could be 2009's cover lady, though where she did her shoots is still a mystery. Maui native Tori Praver will also feature heavily this year, and Honolulu's Star Bulletin says she too is in the running for the cover honor. (Both were photographed in the Turks and Caicos for the 2008 issue.)

On the sportier side, one pictures-of-chicks website reports Moscow-born tennis players Maria Kirilenko and Tatiana Golovin will make appearances this year. (Maybe their home town will get some love after St. Petersburg made last year's magazine?) Meanwhile, professional poker player Vanessa Rousso--poker's a sport, right?--reports that she made the issue. We're hoping they didn't force her to do a shoot in one of Vegas' notoriously grimy pools

---

In mid-February, Sports Illustrated will unleash their 2009 Swimsuit issue! And that means one model will be picked to grace the cover. Much thought goes into this important decision, and we’d personally like to thank SI for picking Marisa Miller in 2008, it’s a classic.

But who will the lucky lady be this year? Based on some reliable insider information, we’ve narrowed the field down to eight likely contenders.

Bar Refaeli

Melissa Baker

Tori Praver

Brooklyn Decker

Jessica Gomes

Selita Ebanks

Ana Beatriz Barros

Julie Henderson

I'd absolutely LOVE it if it was Ana - but SI seem to pick girls based on star power and how well known they are too - and because of her boyfriend, Bar might have an edge over Ana in spite of the number of times Ana has graced SI. So, I'm not getting my hopes up to avoid being disappointed. :p

MODELS TO APPEAR

Jan. 31, 2009

Models featured in Sports Illustrated's upcoming swimsuit edition - traditionally a launching pad to supermodel status -- will be making a first-ever party appearance in Las Vegas on Feb. 12 shortly after the unveiling.

A group numbering between "several and a half dozen" will be visiting a variety of different locations here leading up to the party at an undisclosed resort, Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority spokesman Vince Alberti said Friday.

Details are still being worked out, Alberti said, but the models are likely to be introduced to shopping, dining, entertainment and nightclub venues.

They will fly in from New York where Sports Illustrated historically has a trade event related to the popular issue.

Their Las Vegas appearance will be part of a three-way promotion involving Sports Illustrated, Southwest Airlines and the convention and visitors authority.

There have been Internet reports that the 2009 cover girl is Jessica Gomes, an Australian model of Singaporean and Portuguese heritage. She was in the swimsuit edition for the first time last year.

Marisa Miller was the 2008 cover girl, her seventh appearance in the swimsuit edition.

Link

Jessica Gomes? In only her second year? :blink: But at least she's not one of many models I didn't want to get the cover - if this is true, of course. :ninja:

^ Why would you think it can't be both? :trout: That said, I'm guessing Q-something-or-other Grant and Julie Henderson won't be in the issue again, considering they're in Maxim's "The Real Swimsuit Issue" edition that's coming out.

From her official site:

Maria Kirilenko did a photo shooting for Sports Illustrated last November in Domican Republic.

« I have very good memories of the photo shooting for Sports Illustrated. I went to Dominican Republic with my mother. I was there for three days and I had a great time ! All days on the beach posing I can tell I was busy all the days but it was so nice ! A great team worked with me. The great photographer Walter Iooss, I think it is a greatest photographer I ever work with. So, I can’t wait when the pictures come out ! There are coming 15th of February I guess. »

The preview site is up.

Add "data 'dot' xml" to the above URL, and you get the data file for the Flash video player... ...which lists all the models! :whistle:

• Brooklyn Decker
  • Demaris Lewis
  • Irina Shayk
  • Daniella Sarahyba
  • Jessica White
  • Cintia Dicker
  • Ariel Meredith
  • Jessica Gomes
  • Anne V
  • Hilary Rhoda
  • Jessica Hart
  • Tori Praver
  • Kim Cloutier
  • Melissa Haro
  • Esti Ginzburg
  • Bar Refaeli
  • Julie Henderson
  • Lucia Dvorska
  • Jarah Mariano

No ABB, no Marisa... ...looks like more than half the models are freshmen or sophomores. Seems like the Marisa cover was a sending-off.

I prefer Brooklyn but I'd put my money on Bar on the cover. They do seem to prefer going with the more famous ones, and apparently being Leo's on-again-off-again GF is better than being Roddick's fiancée for that.

Also, preview videos (even for days beyond today) are available by adding the following after the URL above:

'slash' assets 'slash' (number from 1 to 6) 'dot' flv

Gotta run... ....I think the assassins from Time Warner are at the door now! :ninja:

PS: from the context it looks like a February 10 launch, which agrees with what Amazon has been saying for a while now.