Bellazon

Miranda Kerr
Thumbnail

katgirl

MIRANDA KERR REVEALS HOW SHE STAYS CALM, BALANCED AND FOCUSED

From yoga to beauty treatments to dancing in the kitchen,  Miranda Kerr has a number of ways to keep the stress

at arm's length

MainImage_A1.thumb.jpg.10165915f1225f42dec540a6e426a426.jpg

/Photos: Courtesy of Bayley Baumgarten/

Regular meditation and yoga helps me stay calm and centered.

What are your favorite ways to de-stress?

I love to cook. I put a good playlist on, pour a glass of wine and dance around the kitchen. For me, it’s a great way to unwind from a hectic day. I also love massages and Reiki treatments. Reiki is a gentle healing treatment that works on different levels: the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual to help balance the mind and body. One of the biggest benefits I find is the reduction of stress; stress impacts the body’s natural healing abilities (immune system) and our overall health. After a Reiki treatment, I also sleep better. It’s a great way to release tension, help clear emotional blockages and impart a wonderful sense of relaxation. I like to start my treatment by burning palo santo before to help clear the space and set the tone for the healing ritual. Throughout the day, I use calming aromatherapy and essential oils, such as my KORA Organics Heart Chakra Aromatherapy Oil; it’s my personal blend based on healing and opening the heart chakra. It contains a blend of rose otto, sandalwood, ylang ylang and cedar wood. Rose otto opens the heart and mind, sandalwood induces calmness, ylang ylang aids in stress and anxiety relief, and cedarwood promotes a soothing effect and assists in mental focus and vitality. It is also supercharged with rose quartz crystals, which is believed to carry soothing energy to encourage love and acceptance of ourselves and others. I find regular yoga, meditation and getting out in nature — a walk or a swim in the ocean — are great ways at managing and overcoming stress. Deep belly breathing is another technique that really works for me. My favorite of all is switching off my phone and just being present with my husband and two sons.

How did you first get into yoga and meditation? And what have been the biggest benefits for you?

I have been practicing yoga and meditation since my late teens, and both have been catalysts in how I live my life — maintaining a positive mindset and balance in the (often) chaotic world we live in. Regular meditation and yoga helps me stay calm and centered. I meditate at least three times a day: morning, night and when I can fit it in between meetings. In the morning it helps me to set my intention for the day, so I start the day with a positive mindset. During the day it helps me re-center and refocus so I can best navigate through any challenges. At night, it’s great to let go of the day and unwind for a deep, restful sleep. I practice Kundalini yoga at least three times a week. It’s the yoga of awareness and is based on a method to awaken your senses and consciousness. It connects with the mind, body and soul. At the end of my practice, I like to listen to a song called “Long Time Sun.”

What is your nighttime routine to prepare for sleep?

Ambience is important to me, so I like to dim the lights and light a few candles around my room and bathroom and put some calming music on — anything by Krishna Das or Snatam Kaur. Then I do my evening skincare routine. I cleanse my face before bed, no matter what. I like to use the KORA Organics Cream Cleanser at night, as it’s great for removing makeup, and I double cleanse to ensure it’s all is removed. I then mist my face with KORA Organics Calming Lavender Mist and follow with a combination of the KORA Organics Hydrating Moisturizer mixed with a few drops of the Noni Glow Face Oil and KORA Organics Noni Radiant Eye Oil. Every other night, I just apply my new Noni Glow Sleeping Mask. It’s a multitasking overnight face mask that’s more hydrating and restorative than a regular night cream. It contains silver ear mushroom, coconut milk, caviar lime, Kakadu plum and natural hyaluronic acid — which really plumps the skin; softens fine lines; reduces redness and inflammation; improves cell renewal, tone and texture; and boosts radiance and luminosity. I love the difference it’s making on my skin. I use it as the last step in my routine before I go to bed — and there’s no need to wash it off until morning. Because it dries as a translucent veil, it locks in the moisture and won’t rub off on your pillow. I often have a cup of chamomile tea and then do mediation before bed to help relax and unwind. I turn my phone on airplane mode so I won’t be distracted by any alerts, emails or texts. When you run a business across different time zones, it’s sometimes hard to put down your phone, so I found that the airplane mode helps when I need to disconnect.

SupplementaryImage_A1_o.thumb.jpg.2b4f88d853742bb62f948c11ebbf2ed4.jpg

Your bedroom should be your sanctuary and a calm space for you to rest and unwind from the outside world, so I don’t take phones or laptops to my bed.

Do you ever practice yoga and mindfulness with your kids? What advice do you have for parents to instill these actions in their kids?

Flynn has grown up seeing me meditating and doing yoga, so those things are like second nature to him — and he really genuinely enjoys them, too. He is such a sweet, heart-centered boy. If you are introducing meditation or yoga to your children, I think you need to engage with them and do it with them, too. Make it a family activity and a time to all connect together. It should also be regular and consistent — just like bedtime reading — so mindfulness becomes part of their routine. Helping your children with tools to cope with emotion is important too. For instance, encourage them to take three deep belly breaths if they are feeling overwhelmed and encourage open discussion about how they are feeling and their emotions. It’s important to listen intently and not get distracted by looking at your phone or trying to do errands in between your conversation. Set the example of being present in the moment. We also put a focus on cultivating kindness and gratitude within our home and teach the importance of forgiveness.

Source: futureofpersonalhealth.com