Bellazon

Vegetarians Unite!

TooBoku

Perhaps this is a placebo effect but as of late, I've been avoiding the consumption of meat whenever I could and I feel great! My farts even smell better.

I don't think I can actually go on being a real vegetarian myself just because with my family, it's almost impossible. Everything we cook has meat in it. I've mentioned my recent change of heart at the dinner table this week and both my parents proceeded to call me a hippie. Haha. That's alright though... I used to do the same.

Anyway, I'm really giving it some serious thought and I know there's a few experienced vegetarians on BZ... so let's trade secrets!

Since August I've gone from 180lbs at roughly 14% bodyfat to where I'm sitting at right now... 165lbs at 10%. That was me basically living on trail mix and protein shakes, with the occasional V8. Eventually I want to make my way back up to 180lbs at 7%. Gradually phasing myself out of most meat. I'll stick on just fish and for a while then lacto-ovo but eventually I want to go all the way. We'll see.

My big concern is that I haven't seen too many vegans who can manage to get good synergy going to produce complete proteins. My buddy is vegan now and he's a 200 lb bodybuilder so I know it's possible. He eats like a cow though. It would be nice to get a little extra help on fingind extra protein sources though. I hate tofu.

I know... I feel like such a pariah...

Especially when you're someone raised to eat what's in front of you.

I would feel even worse if someone prepared food for me and said I couldn't eat it because I was a vegetarian.

What other people decide to eat and serve, I can't control. When making my own food however, I plan on going veggie.

Anyway... some encouragement. This website rocks and the 7-day challenge shopping list makes complete sense to me.

There's varying protein sources from mixing whole grains ehich I love. It's a lot more complex than my old meat and potatoes diet.

http://www.veggiemealplans.com/index.php?v...ion=com_content

Still might have to cheat to get back up to 180. My understanding, what what's worked in the past for me, is that to gain weight, protein consumption should be 1.5g * Target Bodyweight. For 180, I'm looking at roughly 250~300 grams of protein a day depending on what my workout for that day is. The other rule is carbs should be 21 * Taget Bodyweight in calories. Roughly 3800 carb calories a day. Fat you should just keep reasonable, but if you snack on nuts and maybe cook with coconut oil you should be good. So to get back up to 180 in say about 3 months, I'd have to take in roughly 5200 calories a day. Which is easy but I'm looking at a lot of vegetarian sites and I don't believe what they're saying for the protein content in let's say broccoli. It seems way too high to me. They also often omit the carb counts which probably means it's high since usually these website's goals are to convert people. Which means you can conclude that to get 1200 protein calories a day, my carb intake would be huge.

So... if anyone has a reliable nutrition breakdown for some high protein-low carb vegetarian foods, I would be very grateful.

The other thing I'm coming to realize is that vegetarian protein sources tend to be high in fibre. Which gives the opposite effect of meat. Meat tends to make you bloat and give you gas and shit. Chick peas, edemame, and whole grains just help you shit.

lol :rofl: I know what you mean about cats :rofl:

I always wanted to be vegetarian but lately I changed my mind...like tobu it's imposible in my family and I'm too lazy to cook my meals without meat by myself :laugh: anyway meat is healthy I mean it has almost all kind of vitamins and a lot of proteins

still tobu I have an indian friend-who's vegetarian and her mother told my mother that vegetarians compensate the lost proteins from not eating meal with these-don't know the name in english :blush:

post-5209-0-1446054666-36571_thumb.jpg

if that's what you were saying about proteins ( I was to lazy to read all your posts-I didn't understand it with lbs :blush: )

^^ lol... I wrote an essay on why vegetarians suck and borderline carnivores rule. It didn't help that my grade 8 teacher was a vegetarian. He didn't like me very much after that. Even gave me a D+ on a paper that reading now, I would have given a B+. Guy was a fag. :/

lol :rofl: I know what you mean about cats :rofl:

I always wanted to be vegetarian but lately I changed my mind...like tobu it's imposible in my family and I'm too lazy to cook my meals without meat by myself :laugh: anyway meat is healthy I mean it has almost all kind of vitamins and a lot of proteins

still tobu I have an indian friend-who's vegetarian and her mother told my mother that vegetarians compensate the lost proteins from not eating meal with these-don't know the name in english :blush:

post-16106-0-1446054666-86816_thumb.jpg

if that's what you were saying about proteins ( I was to lazy to read all your posts-I didn't understand it with lbs :blush: )

lol... don't worry about that lbs talk. that's like super nit-picky crap i researched back when i was into weight training.

Those bean looking things in that picture would be lentils. The lunch lady at work makes a pretty mean lentil-curry soup actually. :)

Nutrition facts from a 77g serving are typically 0g fat, 17g carbs (0g sugar, 0g fiber), and 7g protein. I thnk that might be dry-uncooked weight because the sheet said that's about a cup's worth.

Roughly 2.5g cabs to 1g protein... not too bad. But there's a lot of bulk in that meaning not a high concentration of macro nutrients. So it's perfect if you're trying to maintain a low bodyweight since you can eat more of it without consuming a lot of calories.... you get the same amount of protein from one egg...

but the egg has cholesterol, fat and all that bad stuff with it. Plus lentils count as a carb source. You can make an omelette out of 3 whole XL eggs w/ 4 egg whites and only get 2g of carbs... along with 41g of protein and 14g of fat. There's the trade off.

1 cup of lentils vs. 1 egg... same amount of protein. The egg is a hell of a lot easier to work with if you're trying to build muscle mass but... 2.5g:1g carb-protein ratio isn't that bad as far as macronutrient proportions go. It's the bulk that's the problem when you're trying to eat a lot of calories.

I'm pulling numbers from here...

http://www.nutritiondata.com/

YEAH TOOBS :bellazon:

I think that you're going to be very successful as a healthy vegetarian because, oh my god, have you ever done your homework! Lots of research is good :thumbsup:

But if you have any questions, I could always ask my mother. :yes:

...Or if you want any yummy recipes :evil:

lol. Thanks L! :hug:

I felt like a hypocrit saying all those things about how distructive the meat industry is and yet enjoying a second burger everytime I order something from Harvey's. Really, it's gone overboard. Forget harming animals... they're actually pretty humane about it at the company my Mom works for. It's the harm it does to the planet as well as the resources it takes up that could be used to help people. It will still happen regardless but at least I don't have to actively contribute to the planet's maladies in that fashion. :/

... plus my body feels great! :D

GO VEGETARIANS! :bellazon:

I AM PROUD TO BE A VEGETARIAN! :yes:

(but eats a little fish in Qases where a resto does not serve veggies as a main Qourse) :cry:

Ain't nothin' wrong with fish, Q. A little meat once in a while won't hurt you. Fish are high in omega-3, low in other fats and cook at a lower heat than meat meat so they tend retain a lot more of their nutritional value. Healthwise it's the way to go... and tastey too. Pan seared trout dressed with a lemon-pepper vinigrette with capres, a side of blanched green beans sitting on top of a yukon gold and sweet potato medly, and paired with a pinot noir from niagara.... Mmmmmmm.... Don't feel too bad. I would do the same too... even if the restaurant did offer vegetarian food, chefs RARELY put thought into it. Vegetarians are their enemies. :)

GO VEGETARIANS! :bellazon:

I AM PROUD TO BE A VEGETARIAN! :yes:

(but eats a little fish in Qases where a resto does not serve veggies as a main Qourse) :cry:

Ain't nothin' wrong with fish, Q. A little meat once in a while won't hurt you. Fish are high in omega-3, low in other fats and cook at a lower heat than meat meat so they tend retain a lot more of their nutritional value. Healthwise it's the way to go... and tastey too. Pan seared trout dressed with a lemon-pepper vinigrette with capres, a side of blanched green beans sitting on top of a yukon gold and sweet potato medly, and paired with a pinot noir from niagara.... Mmmmmmm.... Don't feel too bad. I would do the same too... even if the restaurant did offer vegetarian food, chefs RARELY put thought into it. Vegetarians are their enemies. :)

:hug:

Pan Seared Sea Bass

Grilled Spanish Mack

Hey Toobs! :D

How did you manage during Christmas dinner?

Did you consume any turkey? :no:

Look, a turkey chick:

post-4514-0-1446054664-90433_thumb.jpg

:wub:

Awe, a beautiful fat turkey:

post-4514-0-1446054665-25539_thumb.jpg

:laugh:

A dead turkey:

post-4514-0-1446054665-294_thumb.jpg

Gobble gobble :|

By the way, I had post-4514-0-1446054664-53356_thumb.jpg, tyvm. (Seriously)

& it was fucking delicious. :drool:

these piQtures are disgustingly unQomfortable. :yuckky:

Hey Toobs! :D

How did you manage during Christmas dinner?

Did you consume any turkey? :no:

A dead turkey:

post-16106-0-1446054665-85445_thumb.jpg

Gobble gobble :|

By the way, I had post-16106-0-1446054665-82205_thumb.jpg, tyvm. (Seriously)

& it was fucking delicious. :drool:

Too bad meat makes my mouth water instead of turning me off... :(

... and sadly, I did eat a little bit of turkey but I did manage to significantly reduce my meat portions. I managed to stay away from all the other meat though.... but I think it came at the cost of nearly all the mushrooms and half the brown rice at the table. Didn't quite hit the spot until I had half a slice of turkey and a little bit of gravy. So I still have a way to go before I can figure out how to eat vegetarian.

Should get used to it eventually though... and half a slice of turkey is better than half the breast and a drumstick of a 14lb turkey like I used to. So overall, I think it's getting better. Yesterday I did well... I had my coffee black and then as per boxing day tradition, I worked security at the Benetton and part of that tradition entails a potluck at the store room. I was pretty happy there was a vegetarian there. I had plenty to eat... :)

but at the end of the day I had like two little cubes of sausage... and a slice of cheesecake :|

btw... they had some crazy assed blitz sales. there was one hour when all dress shirts were marked down from $79.99 down to $19.99... and then you add the 20% discount to the total on top of that... hehe...