Bellazon

New Moon

Liz_twilighter

Well, we all know about Twilight and we know that they 're going to make New Moon too, based on Stephenie 's Meyer second book of Twilight Saga, New Moon. On Saturday we learned that the new director would be Chris Weitz. Check this out!

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Chris Weitz will direct " New Moon ," the sequel to the smash vampire romance "Twilight," after that film's director Catherine Hardwicke failed to reach a deal with producer Summit Entertainment .

The hiring of Weitz, whose credits include "About A Boy" and " The Golden Compass ," prompted a carefully calibrated campaign of reassurance on the part of creators.

Stephenie Meyer , the author of the four-book series about young vampires and werewolves, wrote a letter that sought to calm fans nervous about the midstream switch.

"I'm sad that Catherine is not continuing on with us for 'New Moon,' she wrote on her Web site, but then noted that, with Weitz: "Torches and pitchforks aren't going to be necessary." The director "is excited by the story and eager to keep the movie as close to the book as possible," she wrote. "He is also aware of you, the fans, and wants to keep you all extremely happy.

It's rare for the director of a successful first picture not to continue on with the sequel. There have been conflicting reports about Hardwicke's departure, with some noting creative and other differences. Summit has said it was a matter of scheduling.

Weitz has not directed a girl-oriented project before but has been involved in movies that encompass elements featured in "Twilight," producing the coming-of-age tale " American Pie " and directing the fantasy adventure "The Golden Compass."

Still, the director was taking few chances.

"I promise to remain responsive to your hopes and fears," he wrote in his own letter to fans Saturday. "I thank you for this opportunity and for your faith."

Weitz said he had been "in a whirlwind romance" with the series over the past few days, and, in a particularly careful phrasing, said he is "very grateful to have received (Meyer's) permission to protect 'New Moon' in its translation from the page to the screen."

Both Weitz's and Meyer's letters represent rare attempts to communicate with fans on issues often left mostly to the industry, and speak both to the intense insider interest of fans as well as the importance of that group to the franchise's success.

Summit a week ago had faced a public-relations challenge when some fan bulletin boards began to worry about Hardwicke's departure.

"Twilight" stars Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart are returning for the sequel, as is screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg . The picture, like the first, centers on the ordinary teenager Bella and the vampire Edward but adds Jacob, a werewolf character who figured less prominently in the first film.

The budget for "Moon" is expected to be slightly higher than that of "Twilight," with a release likely for late 2009 or early 2010. "Twilight," which cost $37 million to make, has earned about $150 million at the North American box office after four weekends.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter

I'm excited to have this series on film and I look forward to the next movie. I likes Twilight even though I haven't read the books.

Its going to be hard to ignore most of the hooplah involving the politics of movie making and keep and open mind moving forward in the series. I'm definitely going to see it, I wouldn't dare miss an opportunity to see Kristen Stewart.

• 2 weeks later...

They recast Jacob, because that Taylor kid looked too young to fit the part Jacob will fill in the movie-- Their words, not mine Storywise, I prefer Edward over the Jacob character, but that's just because I like Pattison. If only they'd allow some of his British humor in the movie...then Edward wouldn't be such a stiff cardboard.

I like Edward how he was in the books - I don't feel that Robert pulls that off at all (don't worry I wont start on Robert...don't want you girls writing out death wishes on me)

But I will say this and hope I don't get banned from this thread:

This movie might be better because Edward will stay away through most of the movie.

That is all :blink:

I like Edward how he was in the books - I don't feel that Robert pulls that off at all (don't worry I wont start on Robert...don't want you girls writing out death wishes on me)

But I will say this and hope I don't get banned from this thread:

This movie might be better because Edward will stay away through most of the movie.

That is all :blink:

Death wishes? That would imply I have no life at all! :laugh: No worries, I understand why you don't like him. If I hadn't seen him in several interviews being entirely the opposite of the movie role, I would've hated him too. I honestly think it's just bad directing. Everyone seemed forced, as if unsure of what to do with the dialog given them. No wonder Kristen Stewart sounded so monotone.

I enjoyed the film, but it would've been better if the actors had been more into their roles. Pattison was pretty bent on meeting the phsyical requirements and isolating himself to get an idea of what that must be like for the character. But then the director told him and KS to "lighten up" since she didn't really take it seriously herself and that's when everything started to derail. I think that with movies like this-- you either do it true to the book, including the acting, or when you tell the actors to lighten up you give them dialog to lighten up about. The only funny thing Rob got to say was Spider Monkey and that wasn't even thát funny.

Stephenie Meyer confirmed on her website that Taylor Lautner will still be playing Jacob Black.

January 7, 2009

Good news about New Moon from director Chris Weitz:

I'm very happy to announce that Taylor Lautner will be playing Jacob Black in New Moon and that he's doing so with the enthusiastic support of Summit Entertainment, the producers, and Stephenie Meyer.

The characters in Stephenie's books go through extraordinary changes of circumstance and also appearance; so it is not surprising that there has been speculation about whether the same actor would portray a character who changes in so many surprising ways throughout the series. But it was my first instinct that Taylor was, is, and should be Jacob, and that the books would be best served by the actor who is emotionally right for the part. I think that fans of Twilight the book and the movie will be surprised by the Jacob Black that Taylor will bring to the screen in New Moon; and I'm looking forward to working with him and the rest of the cast in realizing the film.

very best

Chris Weitz

I'd just like to add that I was very much a part of this decision. My first priority was always what was best for New Moon—what was going to give us the best possible movie. I'm truly thrilled that Taylor was the one who proved to the director, to Summit, and to me that he is the best possible Jacob we could have. And I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he's going to bring to Jacob's character this year.

- Steph