Roque Santa Cruz
Thumbnail

Gonzalez Girl

• 2 years later...

I thought that Roque doesn't have his thread. :blush:

BIOGRAPHY

Club career

Olimpia

Santa Cruz joined the Olimpia's youth academy at the age of nine where he became the top scorer during several seasons until the head coach of Olimpia's first team, the Uruguayan Luis Cubilla, invited Santa Cruz to practice with the first team squad at the age of 15. His professional debut was in 1997 at the age of sixteen. Santa Cruz's club performance led Olimpia to a Paraguayan championship in the 1998-99 season, and the winning of the Paraguayan Footballer of the Year award. Olimpia's president, who at the time was Osvaldo Dom�ƒ­nguez Dibb, had assessed Santa Cruz to value from around US$20million due to his involvement in Paraguay's national teams. However, when Germany's Bayern Munich came knocking he was only signed for US$7million for the 1999-2000 Bundesliga season.

Bayern Munich

Showing his excellence with Olimpia and the Paraguay national football team, Santa Cruz was noticed by German club Bayern Munich, who eventually signed him in the second half of 1999. Santa Cruz was unexceptional at Bayern as he only scored five goals in his first season with the club, a series of injuries, and heavy competition between forwards (including �ƒ�€�lber Giovane, Roy Makaay and Claudio Pizarro) for the German giants limited his impact. Nonetheless, he was part of the latest successes for Bayern, winning the German league and cup double, the UEFA Champions League and the Intercontinental Cup.

Blackburn Rovers

Santa Cruz agreed a four-year deal with Blackburn Rovers on 28 July 2007. Blackburn agreed to pay Bayern Munich �‚£3.5 million for the player. He scored his first goal for Rovers after just three touches of the ball when he came on as a substitute for the injured Benni McCarthy against Middlesbrough in the opening game of the 2007â�‚��€œ08 Premier League season. Santa Cruz celebrated his 26th birthday and his first full Rovers start when he scored the winner away to MYPA in the UEFA Cup. Santa Cruz scored his first hat-trick for Blackburn in a 5â�‚��€œ3 loss to Wigan Athletic on 15 December 2007, becoming the first player in over ten years in English football to score a hat-trick for the losing side, since Dwight Yorke's hat-trick on 30 September 1996 for Aston Villa in their 4â�‚��€œ3 away loss to Newcastle United. On 12 January 2008, he was named Premier League "Player of the Month" for December 2007. Following a successful 2007â�‚��€œ08 campaign, there was much transfer speculation surrounding Santa Cruz at the start of the 2008â�‚��€œ09 season. However, Santa Cruz signed a four-year contract with Blackburn in August to end the speculation. He became a target for Manchester City following their takeover by the billionaire Abu Dhabi United Group. In January 2009, they had bids of �‚£12 million and �‚£16 million rejected by Blackburn, with the club stating it would take �‚£25 million for them to even consider selling their star striker. On 2 February 2009, City failed to meet the reported �‚£25 million asking price. On 20 April 2009, there were rumours that Santa Cruz was planning to leave Rovers after the 2008â�‚��€œ09 season, less than 12 months after signing a new deal with the Premier League club, although he denied these rumours, saying that they were "lost in translation."

Manchester City

On 21 June 2009, it was reported that Santa Cruz was undergoing a medical at Manchester City ahead of a proposed summer transfer worth �‚£17.5 million on a four-year deal. Confirmation that the deal had been completed was released later that same day. Santa Cruz scored his first City goal on 28 October 2009 against Scunthorpe in the Carling Cup. Santa Cruz grabbed his first league goals for City against Sunderland, scoring a brace in a thrilling 4â�‚��€œ3 win which proved to be Mark Hughes's last game at the club. However his appearances have been limited due to a succession of injuries coupled with a lack of form.

2010-11 season

Roberto Mancini continued to leave out Santa Cruz during the season. A loan deal for him to join S.S. Lazio collapsed and he remained at City. Santa Cruz made it clear he wants to leave, and Mancini has given him permission to go.

International career

Santa Cruz made a name for himself at the 1999 FIFA World Youth Championship, where he scored three goals for a surprising Paraguay team. His performance there led to a call-up to the full Paraguay national team for the Copa Am�ƒ©rica at the age of 17. Santa Cruz made his senior debut at age 17 for Paraguay at Copa Am�ƒ©rica leading his national team in scoring with three goals. He also scored a total of seven goals in the 2002 and 2006 World Cup qualification rounds, and appeared in the 2002 FIFA World Cup, where he scored one goal while helping his team advance to the elimination rounds. Santa Cruz was in doubt for the 2006 World Cup as he was recovering from a serious knee injury. However, he recovered in time for the start of the tournament and played all three group stage matches for Paraguay. Santa Cruz was not able to score a goal, but he did assist Nelson Cuevas and had a good game in the 2â�‚��€œ0 victory over Trinidad and Tobago. Despite the win, Paraguay failed to qualify to the second round of the tournament. Santa Cruz scored a hat trick against Colombia in a 5â�‚��€œ0 Paraguayan victory during the Copa Am�ƒ©rica 2007 in Venezuela. He was one of Paraguay's top scorers (three goals) in the 2010 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers.

From Wikipedia

Personal life

Santa Cruz married Giselle Tavarelli, the sister of his former national team and Olimpia teammate Ricardo, in 2003. They have a son named Tobias (born 17 December 2003), and a daughter named Fiorella (born 11 November 2005). Santa Cruz has a younger brother named Julio who plays for Blackburn Rovers in the reserve squad, second brother named Diego who was also a professional football player and another brother named Oscar who died in 2005.

In a 2006 FIFA World Cup edition of German magazine Kicker magazine, he was voted the sexiest man to be taking part in the tournament. He was also chosen by the German newspaper Die Welt as the sexiest footballer of the 2006 World Cup. He has appeared on the cover of the German version of Pro Evolution Soccer 6.

In 2004 Santa Cruz was the subject of the song "Ich Roque" by the German band Sportfreunde Stiller.

Sportfreunde Stiller - Ich, Roque

Lyrics:

Der Modefreak jubeliert, er hat den Anzug probiert

und seine Freundin frohlockt, wie der Anzug rockt.

Auf der Jeans da steht "punk", den Nietengürtel im Schrank,

so schafft es heut' jeder p.i.m.p auf den Rockolymp.

Der Unternehmer preliert, er hat am Markt viel riskiert

und man spendet Applaus, denn es rockt auch sein Haus.

Doch nur einem gebühren diese Worte, ein Privileg der ganzbesonderen Sorte.

Kein Wort zu niemandem wie ich zocke, ich sag's nur meinem Fanblock: "Ich Roque!"

Die coolen Kids reagieren, die fetten Beats explodieren.

Wir brauchen mehr Distortion für die gesamte Nation.

Denn es liegt wohl im Trend, dass jeder, der das Wort kennt,

nicht mehr ganz genau wei

HELP ME TO HELP UNDERPRIVILEGED CHILDREN!

When I grew up in Paraguay, I experienced a lot of poverty around me. Now my status as a professional soccer player allows me to help others. Giselle and I, together with my family, have been supporting children with our foundation for many years. But still there

Santa Cruz blocks Lazio loan

Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz has rejected the chance to join Lazio on loan, according to the Italian club.

Santa Cruz is expected to leave City during the January transfer window but prefers a permanent move away from Eastlands.

"We take into account Santa Cruz's reaction and his desire to make any transfer permanent," Lazio president Claudio Lotito said.

"We are aware of this and consider it a wise decision for him."

Meanwhile, AC Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri has admitted that he would welcome the chance to coach Cruz's fellow City striker Mario Balotelli at some point while conceding that he currently has a wealth of striking options at the San Siro.

Milan have recently signed Antonio Cassano and already had Alexandre Pato, Robinho and Zlatan Ibrahimovic so Allegri has plenty of firepower at his disposal.

"I would willingly coach Balotelli," Allegri said. "But it would be difficult given that we have so many champions in our team."

Copyright

• 2 weeks later...

Santa Cruz goes 'home' to Blackburn! :hell yea!:

(CNN) - Paraguay striker Roque Santa Cruz hopes to revive his stalled career after securing a return to his old stomping ground at English Premier League club Blackburn Rovers.

The 29-year-old has left high-flying Manchester City on loan for the rest of this season, having failed to make an impact following his $28 million move from Blackburn in mid-2009.

"I feel like I am coming home. This has been the easiest decision of my career," he told the Blackburn website on Friday.

"I want to get playing and scoring goals again, and this is a real chance for me to prove myself after a frustrating period. Everyone knows what Blackburn Rovers means to me."

Santa Cruz scored 29 goals in two seasons at Ewood Park after joining on a free transfer from German club Bayern Munich, and he followed former Rovers manager Mark Hughes to City.

Who will be the bargain signings of the January sales?

But he initially struggled with injury and failed to impress Hughes' successor Roberto Mancini as Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor, Mario Balotelli and recent signing Edin Dzeko have taken precedence.

Mancini has this week also allowed former England defender Wayne Bridge to join the Premier League's bottom club West Ham on loan for the rest of this season.