Bellazon

Shanina Shaik
Thumbnail

taniixx

Interview

SHE could soon be Australia's next supermodel, but not long ago Shanina Shaik was bullied so badly she was too scared to go to school.

The stunning Werribee teen is firming up as one of the favourites to win Channel 7's Make Me A Supermodel, and pocket the prize of a lucrative Chadwick modelling contract.

Shaik, 17, has taken time out of her year 11 studies at Werribee Secondary College to move to Sydney as a finalist of the model comp.

Not bad for a girl whose self-esteem was so low just three years ago that she stopped going to class.

Shaik said her friends turned on her after she entered a magazine modelling contest and began doing some catalogue shots.

"For some reason my best friends didn't like it and started calling me derogatory terms and started saying things to put me down, like I was nothing," she said.

"I think it was just jealousy, but it got to a point where I was too scared to go to school, because every day I was being put down. I was crying every day and I just had no one. But in the end I told my mum, and she ended up going to the school."

But Shaik, who is in an accelerated program at school, plans to turn her awful experience into a positive, and use it as a base to pave a career in psychology.

"I like to help people, and I give great advice because of what I've been through," she said.

But all of that is on the back-burner for now, as she focuses on getting her big break.

"I have always dreamed of being a model since I was a young girl," she said. "We'll see how I go, but I might start doing school by correspondence soon."

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,,...5012974,00.html

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...