Bellazon

Danay Garcia
Thumbnail

Max_god1

Wikipedia bio :Danay Garcia (b. July 5, 1984, Havana, Cuba) is a Cuban film actress. She currently has a role as Sofia Lugo in the Fox network's drama series, Prison Break.

Danay Garcia was born and raised in Havana, Cuba.[1]. She has been dancing since she was 10 years old. [2]. Danay knows Ballet, Salsa, African Dance, Merengue, Belly Dancing, and Flamenco. Later on she became a model. Currently, she is an actress and part of the cast of the television series Prison Break. Danay Garcia actually lives in Mexico City, and has a husband with two kids.

Filmography

Year Title Role Notes

2007 From Mexico with Love Maria

2007–2008 Prison Break Sofia Lugo TV series

2007 CSI: Miami Camille Tavez TV series, 1 episode

2006 Danika Myra

Sadly I can't find a lot of pics of her. So your help will be really apreciated :wave:

trivia + quotes on her (Source Tv.com)

Among the Hollywood personalities Danay wants to meet are George Clooney, Meryl Streep, and Martin Scorsese.(edit)Danay loves to read actor biographies. She has read ones of Bette Davis and her favorite actress Audrey Hepburn.

(edit)

Danay does stretching exercises and some Yoga during filming breaks on the Prison Break set.(edit)

Since the filming of the third season of Prison Break, she has been living in Los Angeles, California.(edit)

Danay considers her parents, her brother, and her son to be her heroes.(edit)

Danay stands five feet eight inches tall.(edit)

Danay is of Hispanic and Latino descent.(edit)

Danay has a son and is a single mother.(edit)

Her film credits include From Mexico With Love, Danika, 91 Miles, Mother From the First Time and Havana Rush.(edit)What Danay misses most about Cuba are the mojitos from the bar where her father worked and Cuban cigars.(edit)Danay and Prison Break co-star Jodi Lyn O'Keefe were featured in Maxim's Hotties of Fall TV 2007 photoshoot.(edit)Danay's hobbies include horseback riding, swimming, rollerblading, and playing competitive volleyball.(edit)

Danay has been dancing since 1994. She knows ballet, salsa, African dance, merenge, belly dancing, and flamenco.(edit)

Danay's theatrical credits include Danika, Maria Antonia, Yerma, Mambru, Contigo Pan Y Cebolla, and Andoba.(edit)Danay and her family own a restaurant names “La Bodeguita de Pico” in Havana, Cuba.(edit)

QUOTES

Danay: I have a side of me that is very much a little girl. I can spend hours and hours playing with kids, I love the imagination they use, and I love making them believe that fairy tales really do exist.(edit)

Danay: I like guys that have a very good sense of humor, goals; I like them to be aggressive about their dreams and passions. It's so important to feel you are in good company no matter what and to enjoy the person you are with. It feels great to come home and always feel loved. That always inspires me to achieve something in life.(edit)

Danay: (on working with the cast of "Prison Break") Here I am coming to Texas with a whole new family that I don't know. It's great because everybody knows each other from like years, from like other shows and I feel so welcome here. (edit)

Danay: (on female inmates being huge "Prison Break" fans) Cool! I have no problem with that, as long as people enjoy the show.(edit)

Danay: Well after dancing for 13 years straight I realized that more than anything I wanted a career for life. Ballet is a very limited career. When I told my mother that I didn't want to be a ballet dancer her answer was "ok, now what"?(edit)Danay: I started modeling just to try something new. I wasn't satisfied coming from a ballet background. I love to study and practice until I get good results.(edit)

Danay: (on auditioning for "Prison Break") Well the audition was very interesting to me. I was very confused because the producers kept giving me different characters scenes... They gave me different characters to see different levels of me.(edit)

Danay: I can honestly say that I don’t watch TV. I feel very fortunate to be part of Prison Break. This is like a dream job for me!(edit)

Danay: (on coming to the United States) I couldn’t speak English well. It was really hard, the culture, the people, and the food, I felt like I was on a different planet.(edit)

Danay: From the moment I went to my first acting class and I saw a very dramatic scene, I felt like I wanted to cry!! It was so thrilling and fulfilling to me.(edit)

Danay: (on her favorite TV series) I love watching the reruns of Friends. I think they are really funny. The energy between them is unique.(edit)

Danay: Though I’d do whatever it takes to get out — even seduce a guy. I like to be sexy. I used to be a model, so I’m not afraid of bikinis or lingerie.(edit)

Danay: (on dancing and performing) There is nothing that made me happier. I love to feel the public. I love to entertain. It’s always been a part of my life.(edit)

An interview from Reload Ma (http://reloadmagazine.com/?p=10)

RELOAD: How are you doing?

Danay Garcia: I am great thank you.

RELOAD: Who is Danay Garcia, Where did you come from, what were you doing before acting?

Danay Garcia: Well, I am just a normal girl that loves to act and fight for her dreams and believes that I can make it happen. I am from Cuba, born and raised and I came to this country 4 years ago. I knew I was doing the right thing by following my dreams and I won’t stop. Before I started acting, I was a dancer. I danced ballet for 13 years. My life was around performing and making people believe a story thru dance and that was fun for me!!!!

RELOAD: Do you still train in ballet?

Danay Garcia: Yes, I still dance ballet. Training always brings me back to my childhood and that was a great part of my life.

RELOAD: How did you get on the cast of Prison Break?

Danay Garcia: Oh, it was very interesting, I got a call from my manager that Prison Break is looking for new female actors. I got really excited because it’s a show that I really liked and I loved the idea that I might be able to be part of it. I went to 4 auditions. I worked really hard to make to make the character of Sofia very interesting.

RELOAD: Was season 3 filmed entirely in Panama?

Danay Garcia: Season 3 was filmed in Texas, and we did a few scenes in Florida because of the beach. Dominic and Jody had maybe a day or two in Panama City, but I have never been to Panama.

RELOAD: What type of music do you listen to?

Danay Garcia: I like discovering new music. I don’t have a specific type, I have an I pod and every time I listen to something new I am interested in it. I come from a communist country that has a lot of limitations, so anytime I hear anything new I appreciated it.

RELOAD: Are you single? What do you look for in a man or woman?

Danay Garcia: I am in a relationship. I like guys that have a very good sense of humor, goals; I like them to be aggressive about their dreams and passions. It’s so important to feel you are in good company no matter what and to enjoy the person you are with. It feels great to come home and always feel loved. That always inspires me to achieve something in life.

RELOAD: How old are you

Danay Garcia: I am 23 years old.

RELOAD: Who were your influences growing up or just admired on screen?

Danay Garcia: I always admired Audrey Hepburn, Grace Kelly and Catherine Zeta Jones. I love women that carry themselves with a lot of class and grace.

RELOAD: What is your ideal role you would love to play?

Danay Garcia: There is not a specific type of role that I like to play. It all depends on the script. I like the audience to see me the in a diverse range.

RELOAD: How do you feel about Fidel Castro’s resignation? I know some people are anti Fidel, How does your family feel?

Danay Garcia:I prefer not to answer. I do not engage in political discussions.

RELOAD: What do you like to do when you are not working?

Danay Garcia: I like to go back to my acting class and practice my craft by working on different scenes. I love to dance. I enjoy walking in the beach. Spending time with my son is my favorite thing to do.

RELOAD: Will people get to see more of Sofia Lugo next season?

Danay Garcia: I hope so. The one thing about TV is that we don’t know what is going to happen until we get the script. The writers are very smart and they are as passionate as actors are. They are working really hard to keep making the story interesting and exciting. So let’s see what happens.

RELOAD: What’s life after Prison Break?

Danay Garcia: Hopefully another great project, either in TV or Features.

RELOAD: What is a typical day for you?

Danay Garcia: It is hard to have a regular day. This business is so unpredictable that it always keeps me in my toes. One day I am cleaning the house and the next day I am flying to London to audition for a project.

RELOAD: Are you a part of any kind of groups, or some kind of recreational projects/organizations?

Danay Garcia: No, not at this time.

RELOAD: Do people recognize you more after Prison Break?

Danay Garcia: Yes they do. I guess it’s because they see me at the same time every week. That’s the difference between TV and film. In TV you get to appear in everybody’s home at a certain time and day.

RELOAD: Where do you live now?

Danay Garcia: I live in Los Angeles. I love the weather.

RELOAD: Did you have to get used to anything from where you came from how you used to live?

Danay Garcia: Oh well that is a good question. The answer is yes. I had to learn how to speak English. The culture in the US is very different and of course the people are very different. It was a big adjustment in my life, but I love this City and I am very happy that I am working toward something.

RELOAD: Anything you would like your fans to know?

Danay Garcia: I would like to thank my fans for their support of Prison Break. It means a lot to me that my fans enjoy my work on the show.

RELOAD: Are you related to Andy Garcia.

Danay Garcia: No

RELOAD: Would you do a project guerilla style?

Danay Garcia: Yes, as long as the story is interesting and I can sink my teeth into the character they want me to portray. I don’t mind.

RELOAD: Where is your favorite place to eat, or your favorite food?

Danay Garcia: I love to eat at home a lot. It’s the time of the day that I feel close to my family and to the people I love. It is the time of the day that we talk and find out how the day went. I also love Cuban food very much (rice and beans and some plantains).

RELOAD: Do you cook? What’s your main dish?

Danay Garcia: I like to cook but depends how I am feeling at the moment and how much time I have. I also like to experiment with new recipes. Cuban food is my best. It’s a lot of fun sharing my culture with friends.

RELOAD: What do you use on your face?

Danay Garcia: This is hard to believe but I never wear any beauty products on my face and since I started working on the show Prison Break, I’ve been wearing make up everyday. When I am not working I don’t ever use make up, and the funny part of it is that I don’t even know how to apply it.

RELOAD: Do you have any more plans to have more kids?

Danay Garcia: Well, yes I will love to have more kids. I have two older brothers and it is fun having siblings. I love kids very much and they bring so much joy to my life. So, of course I want to have more kids. I want my son to experience having a brother or a sister, it will be fun…

RELOAD: Tell us something about yourself that is unique and no one really knows?

Danay Garcia: Besides being a mom and an actress and taking care of everyday responsibilities, I have a side of me that is very much a little girl. I can spend hours and hours playing with kids, I love the imagination they use, and I love making them believe that fairy tales really do exist. It’s a world of pure imagination and honesty. Yes I go back to my childhood a lot. My son has a lot of fun with me.

RELOAD: Are their many roles in Hollywood for a woman of color or a Latina woman like yourself?

Danay Garcia: I don’t know. Right now, I pretty much focused on Prison Break.

RELOAD: Plan to do any modeling? If offered would you do men magazines like King, or maybe even Playboy? I know you did maximum.

Danay Garcia: I am not really interested in pursuing modeling at the moment or doing magazines like playboy or king magazine. I want to be appreciated by the public in general for my acting ability. I am more focused on my acting career and how can I get better and better at what I do!! That is very exciting for me.

RELOAD: Who in Hollywood would you like to meet? Furthermore, what actor or director would you like to work with?

Danay Garcia: I will love to meet George Clooney, I think he is a great example of how to handle yourself when you reach certain level in this industry. I admire people that carry themselves with a lot of pride and grace. I definitely would love to work with Meryl Streep. It’s amazing, even when she interprets a negative character, the good part of that character comes out and that’s what acting is about. There is no such a thing as being evil, every bad person has a good side of them, and they just don’t know how to show it. One of the directors I really admire is Martin Scorsese. It would be a privilege to be part of any of his movies. Yes I am a big fan of his.

RELOAD: Before we wrap this up any last words?

Danay Garcia: I would love to advise to all the young girls that the only way to succeed in life is to follow your dreams and believe in them no matter what. It does not matter where you are or how hard it is to get there, just see yourself where you want to be, feel it, and do something about it everyday. The most important thing is don’t ever give up. Once you have all that positive energy just leave the rest to the universe. Trust me all you will get in return is nothing but good things that will make you happy.

• 4 years later...