Bellazon

The Meaning Of Life

Guest quasicartes

What a piece of crap. If the "meaning" for your life comes from something that can (and will) die or falter or fail in some way...what is the point of that? If this is the case, your life has no meaning and you are living an illusion and you might as well roll over admit defeat right now because it's coming soon anyway.

The meaning of life is not found in anything "under the sun".

What a piece of crap.  If the "meaning" for your life comes from something that can (and will) die or falter or fail in some way...what is the point of that?  If this is the case, your life has no meaning and you are living an illusion and you might as well roll over admit defeat right now because it's coming soon anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

some people don't believe in things "over the sun" though :/

What a piece of crap.  If the "meaning" for your life comes from something that can (and will) die or falter or fail in some way...what is the point of that?  If this is the case, your life has no meaning and you are living an illusion and you might as well roll over admit defeat right now because it's coming soon anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

some people don't believe in things "over the sun" though :/

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some people don't believe the Holocaust happened either. Disbelief doesn't necessarily equal nonexistant.

So, Jimmy, you are saying that the meaning of life is spiritual?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, I believe the the taproot of it is, yes.

Some people don't believe the Holocaust happened either.
When faced with atrocitity that people have difficulty dealing with, they tend to shut it out. Denial: the most predictable of all human responses.
Disbelief doesn't necessarily equal nonexistant.

The same can be said of aliens, the invisible pink unicorn and the flying spaghetti monster.

Religious people can't prove their gods exist either. So, by logic, religious beliefs can also die and falter, and hence cannot be the meaning to life (by your definition)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Most forms of religious belief is vulnerable to dying.

Some religions have disappeared. We don't worship Zeus or Hercules anymore.

But, throughout times, there will always be some people believing in some sort of god.

As long as mankind exist, that belief will never die.

I'm just going to leave the thread as it is :surrender:, and return to being my (supposedly) gay self *stares at Jimmy* :laugh:

the meaning to my life now is to appease the angry poker gods... help me jimmy... poker is taking over my life :evil:

Ok, then give me a plausible meaning for our existance without a creator involved.  Purely atoms and energy...what possible meaning could we have?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing. There is really no meaning to life. We are all here by chance.

That is what I personally believe.

But, I guess, it is still possible to believe in living life to the fullest, without believing in the meaning of life or any divine beings. Epicurus, Socrates and Darwin believed in this.

Meaning is what we create. When confronted with mysteries that we cannot fathom, we seek to understand them by creating patterns.

We see many beautiful things created and can't help to feel that there may be a Great Designer. It is our instinct.

This is why I really believe that there cannot be any divine being.

If ever there is a being so powerful, such that that being is perfect, that being will never create us.

We are all born imperfect/incomplete. That means we are born with needs.

Needs are defined as states of felt deprivation.

There are two types of needs: psychological (love, affection, security, etc) and physical (water, food, sex, etc).

Every single thing that we do, is because we strive to be more perfect/complete.

The motivation behind everything we do, is to fulfil a need.

Throughout our existence, we will always be slaves to needs, because we can never be complete.

If God is already perfect, then He will never feel any motivation to create anything.

It is irrational for Him to create us to fulfil His own need.

Also, where does morality come from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Morality comes when we judge each other.

We label people "good" and "bad", depending on their actions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Morality comes from within. We all refer to some unwritten moral code when we say "Hey man, I was there first!". :p