Thumbnail

Cherry,

Kate Nash

post-16069-0-1446075647-37142_thumb.jpg

Birth name: Kate Marie Nash

Born: 6 July 1987, London

Genres: Indie pop, piano pop

Labels: Moshi Moshi, Fiction

Kate started her career in 2007 and her music category is labelled ‘pop/indie/other’. Kate says “I usually create my music by looking through my diary, picking out creative words to express my life...and turn them into songs”.

Born in Dublin, July 6 1987, to an Irish mother and an English father and growing up in Harrow, Nash first became interested in music during her childhood. She learned to play the piano at “Sandbach School” and took an early interest in acting, but a rejection from the “Bristol Old Vic Theatre School” dashed her hopes of a career in theater. She attended St. John Fisher School (Pinner) and moved onto the St Joan of Arc Catholic School, Rickmansworth.

Nash’s debut release was a 7″ vinyl-only pressing of the song “Caroline’s a Victim”, backed with the acoustic track “Birds”, recorded in Iceland, limited to 1000 copies and released on the London independent label Moshi Moshi Records. This led to a major-label deal with Fiction, an offshoot of Polydor with releases from mainstream artists such as the Cure and Snow Patrol. The label released her first single, “Foundations,” which surprised everyone by becoming a hit, reaching number 2 on the U.K. charts and remaining there for five weeks in the summer of 2007, followed by the platinum selling UK number 1 album Made of Bricks. The album, produced by Paul Epworth which was brought forward 6 weeks, included many of the tracks she had been performing on her two nationwide tours, supported by Peggy Sue & The Pirates.

Kate is currently working on her second album and has written two songs entitled ‘Paris’ and ‘Doo Wah Doo’. Nash also stated that she had been inspired by The Supremes and has wrote a song called ‘Cat song in honour’.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...