Bellazon

Laura Marling
Thumbnail

Michael*

hahahahahaha! alright! i'll go check it out!

oh i missed her on conan! i dont even know the songs! but i was liking it! ...i only stayed for a song an a half! hahaha! so i don't really know a whole lot. but i caught the one with the mega phone and she was dancing almost wild! hahahaha!

you know what... im gonna go check out her myspace! hahaha!

• 9 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 4:41 PM, Michael* said:

And a reminder of just how long I've been here. :rofl:

Luckily, given the undoubted timelessness of Laura's music, the age of the actual thread is much less of an issue. :laugh:

@Michael*

How did you first hear of her? I found out about her very randomly on the Internet.... I think she has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard, but I've never seen her in our French media.  Is she famous in England? Do they talk about her in your media?

On 1/31/2019 at 10:54 PM, Enrico_sw said:

How did you first hear of her? I found out about her very randomly on the Internet.... I think she has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard, but I've never seen her in our French media.  Is she famous in England? Do they talk about her in your media?

I'd consider Laura to be one of our most consistent artists and certainly one of our best, but at this point she's probably more of a critical favourite than a commercial one. She keeps a very low profile between releases and doesn't do a lot of media or fan engagement, so unless something unexpected were to happen in the future, it would be hard to see her 'breaking out', so to speak. Hopefully somewhere along the line though she makes that heavy metal album she keeps hinting at in interviews, that would be a lot of fun to listen to. :laugh:

My first experience of her music was similarly random, when I just so happened to catch a performance of hers on the Jools Holland show one week. Twelve years later, she's still the owner of one of the most understated but effortlessly pure voices I think I've ever heard. :)

4 hours ago, Michael* said:

I'd consider Laura to be one of our most consistent artists and certainly one of our best, but at this point she's probably more of a critical favourite than a commercial one. She keeps a very low profile between releases and doesn't do a lot of media or fan engagement, so unless something unexpected were to happen in the future, it would be hard to see her 'breaking out', so to speak. Hopefully somewhere along the line though she makes that heavy metal album she keeps hinting at in interviews, that would be a lot of fun to listen to. :laugh:

Interesting! Thanks for the explanations.

Honestly, it's vert hard to find good sources for new music. I find that both critics and the audience are not good compasses that can guide me in the search for new artists. It's hard to find people that share your views on music. 

I adored her voice the first second that I heard her singing. For other artists, I had to listen to their music a couple of times before appreciating it. And for some others, I didn't like their first notes, but then I started to appreciate their whole work, by listenning more. In short, I don't seem to find any rule :laugh:

Anyway, not only does she have a great voice, but she's also a gifted songwriter.  On her French wikipedia page, they say that she started early by singing at the first parts of Neil Young's concerts.

• 2 weeks later...