Bellazon

Vogue Italia July 2008 : A BLACK ISSUE by Steven Meisel

Sam12

Vogue Italia July 2008 : Liya, Sessilee, Jourdan & Naomi by Steven Meisel

I am surprised no one started a topic on this. What are your opinions on this issue? Will it help push for more diversity in the fashion industry??

There are many Black women in the issue

To name a few

Alek Wek

Alva Chin

Arlenis Sosa Pena

Chanel Iman

Gail O'Neil

Iman

Jourdan Dunn

Karen Alexander

Naomi Campbell

Sesselie Lopez

Tyra Banks

Toccarra Jones

Noemie Lenoir

Veronica Webb

Yasmin Warsame

Liya

Tyra

Sessilee

Here is a nice compilation of the various pictures in the issue

courtesy- a la Balenciaga

sy8pb7.jpg f02687.jpg 2gtxn3q.jpg 2vkdamt.jpg

Ok what I really dislike about this is hipocricy (sp?)

They wanted this "black" issue of VI, and it ended up with black models whose skin look white/much lighter. Take Sesilee as an example. As much as I love her poses in this editorial, I can't say the editorial is as good as it could be. And why most of these pics (so far) are black&white, not colour ones?

Plus, okay, this is July issue. And what about August, September etc.? Is making this July issue the "black issue" an excuse not to feauture black girls in next issues? I still don't think it will lead to feauture at least 1 black girl in next VI editorials. And see....the list is pretty nice, but it doesn't feauture every model that deserved to be there. I would also love to see e.g. Marie Fuema and Jaunel McKenzie inside. You just can't put all successfull black models in one issue, it's impossible. They should appear in magazines regularly. It reminds me of the fact how many times a year? No, maybe how many times for 5 years Anna Wintour decides to put a model on the cover of Vogue US :whistle:

I hope you get my point :flower:

One of the only photographers names I actually know because everytime I really like an editorial his name is all over it.

He does like to put his name on the editorials in a big font :yes: :rofl: But Meisel is the best photographer ever imo! His editorials are pure awesomeness. This one is simple but it's pretty nice. He shot the ed of the set I'm using :woot: :p

If they don't keep on using black models for the next issues I'll agree with Layla, but if they do, I think their real intention was to make up for all the issues they that didn't.

One of the only photographers names I actually know because everytime I really like an editorial his name is all over it.

He does like to put his name on the editorials in a big font :yes: :rofl: But Meisel is the best photographer ever imo! His editorials are pure awesomeness. This one is simple but it's pretty nice. He shot the ed of the set I'm using :woot: :p

If they don't keep on using black models for the next issues I'll agree with Layla, but if they do, I think their real intention was to make up for all the issues they that didn't.

I know man, you made me a set from the same editorial, remember? :p

Ok what I really dislike about this is hipocricy (sp?)

They wanted this "black" issue of VI, and it ended up with black models whose skin look white/much lighter. Take Sesilee as an example. As much as I love her poses in this editorial, I can't say the editorial is as good as it could be. And why most of these pics (so far) are black&white, not colour ones?

Plus, okay, this is July issue. And what about August, September etc.? Is making this July issue the "black issue" an excuse not to feauture black girls in next issues? I still don't think it will lead to feauture at least 1 black girl in next VI editorials. And see....the list is pretty nice, but it doesn't feauture every model that deserved to be there. I would also love to see e.g. Marie Fuema and Jaunel McKenzie inside. You just can't put all successfull black models in one issue, it's impossible. They should appear in magazines regularly. It reminds me of the fact how many times a year? No, maybe how many times for 5 years Anna Wintour decides to put a model on the cover of Vogue US :whistle:

I hope you get my point :flower:

Layla, while I agree with you on the skin issue, I think those were only a select few pictures. I have not posted the majority of the pictures yet and those thankfully do not follow the same trend, but rather stay true to the actual color of their skin. I think its only Tyra's and Sessilee's editorials that were styled that way.

I am still keeping my hopes up for the diversity to continue and flourish, but I have my doubts as well.

Regarding Anna Wintour, she is a total disgrace. U.S. Vogue is the most boring, most conservative of all the vogues. She could get tips from Roitfeld or from Vogue Italia.

Toccara looks so gorgeous here, and I wouldn't even say she's plus-sized :blink:

And Chanel Iman looks so different, but this editorial must be the best of her so far in her career.

Layla, while I agree with you on the skin issue, I think those were only a select few pictures. I have not posted the majority of the pictures yet and those thankfully do not follow the same trend, but rather stay true to the actual color of their skin. I think its only Tyra's and Sessilee's editorials that were styled that way.

I am still keeping my hopes up for the diversity to continue and flourish, but I have my doubts as well.

Regarding Anna Wintour, she is a total disgrace. U.S. Vogue is the most boring, most conservative of all the vogues. She could get tips from Roitfeld or from Vogue Italia.

Oh well, I saw on foto_decadent some more editorials posted by simplylovely, and I think I liked Chanel's the most. Or maybe Sessilee's? Though they made her skin look lighter....Hmmm.... well I like these eds from that VI issue let's say :laugh:

we will see what will happen in next months.

Ugh Anna :pinch: I think it was in Vogue US July or June, an article "is fashion racist?" featuring Arlenis, Chanel and Jourdan.

:ninja:

WOW :heart:

thank you!

Chanel looks really good, I like Yasmine's too. I love the first of Toccarra and the one in the trunk.

The pool table one of Naomi is great.

Do you have some pictures of Alek Wek, too?

I'd love to see her pictures.