Bellazon

Jazz

Qball

Let's talk jazz here... I hope some of you are into this snobbish type of music...

Hell no, jazz is not snobbish! Not entirely, at least.

I myself am a jazz newbie, I started listening to it a little more than a year ago... My main playground is fusion jazz, the movement which emerged in the late 60s-early 70s and was started by artists like Miles Davis and John McLaughlin. My favourite artists are Miles Davis A.D. 1969-70, the already mentioned John McLaughlin and his Mahavishnu Orchestra, Billy Cobham, Herbie Hancock and Weather Report.

Fusion is a very interesting branch of modern jazz, because it combines stricte-jazz elements with funk, soul, rock, African and world music. I know I'm missing a lot of other important jazz figures like Alan Holdsworth, Chick Corea or Pat Metheny, but I just haven't discovered their music yet. My jazz CD list is only about 13 albums long, yet I think it's a good start, with albums like Davis' Bitches Brew or Cobham's Spectrum.

What do you have to say about jazz? Do you like it? What type of jazz do you like?

i love jazz, i am studying jazz right now. i play guitar, and love herbie handcock, thelonius monk, miles, pat metheny, john mcgualing, AL DIMEOLA, Oscar Peterson, Dave Brubek. i havent really gotten into much fusion, i like the pure forms of jazz, like miles b4 his fusion kicks, i am really into swing, and its the reason i got into jazz. I love the drumming style of swing, and balads and latin tunes and everything lol. Tony Williams :). I like pat martino also. i just love improvisation, how meaningful it is, key example i think EVERYONE should listen to is on the old miles album Four & More, Walkin, shows straight up emotion and pure greatness. the whole album is great with My funny valentine being the first part of the concert.... but yes JAZZ!! its where its at.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I listen almost excusively to Jazz, especially the music played between the early 1940's (beginning of Be-Bop) through the late 1960's (beginning of Fusion).

My favorite musician is John W. Coltrane (1926-1967). There is something special about his music that is difficult to explain. Pick up Coltrane's “A Love Supreme” Album (see Qball's post above) and find out for yourself! I play Tenor saxophone myself but as I barely find time to practice my playing is rather miserable. Besides John Coltrane there are dozens of great Jazz musicians that I would recommend listening to like Bird, Miles, Monk, Sonny Rollins, Art Blakey, Cannonball Adderley, Hank Mobley…

I listen almost excusively to Jazz, especially the music played between the early 1940's (beginning of Be-Bop) through the late 1960's (beginning of Fusion).

My favorite musician is John W. Coltrane (1926-1967). There is something special about his music that is difficult to explain. Pick up Coltrane's

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I knew there had to be a Jazz thread somwhere :ddr:

Brushing the dust off of this thread, nonetheless. People always seem to stay away from jazz and i don't know why.

Some of my favorite Jazz artsits: Miles Davis (Too be honest I still need Bitches Brew :blush: But i'm looking for the collector's edition, and haven't found it yet in any stores, so i might just order it online), John Coltrane (I need more by him), Charles Mingus, Duke Ellington (He did so many great jazz collaborations) Count Basie (same reason as Duke), Herbie Hancock :ddr:, Chick Corea :wub:

And you gotta give a shout out to some jazz fusion artists too (Jeff Beck, Mahavishnu John McLaughlin, Al Di Meola & his band Return to Forever) And even Sun Ra, and his "avant garde jazz" Hell even Ella Fitzgerald is jazz to me at times, and a sometimes some of Sinatra's, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Nat King Cole's, stuff is all borderline jazz sometimes :/

My three favorite jazz albums:

1. Kind Of Blue- Miles Davis

2. A Love Supreme- John Coltrane

3. Blues And Roots- Charles Mingus

My three favorite jazz albums:

1. Kind Of Blue- Miles Davis

2. A Love Supreme- John Coltrane

3. Blues And Roots- Charles Mingus

Wow, Limer, you have some great, classic taste in jazz music, my friend :)

My first Miles album was Bitches Brew, actually :) I own it on CD, of course. I also have the A Love Supreme two-disc deluxe edition, it kicks ass :p

And further, the bass player in my band is a huuuge fan of Mingus. Actually, he lent me Blues & Roots last week :D So we're kinda in the same boat, I see :)