Bellazon

Jazz

Qball

My three favorite jazz albums:

1. Kind Of Blue- Miles Davis

2. A Love Supreme- John Coltrane

3. Blues And Roots- Charles Mingus

Wow, Limer, you have some great, classic taste in jazz music, my friend :)

My first Miles album was Bitches Brew, actually :) I own it on CD, of course. I also have the A Love Supreme two-disc deluxe edition, it kicks ass :p

And further, the bass player in my band is a huuuge fan of Mingus. Actually, he lent me Blues & Roots last week :D So we're kinda in the same boat, I see :)

We are in the same boat :laugh: And thanks man. Like i said before, i'm looking for the "Complete Bitches Brew Sessions" if i'm going to get it. I found it last night on amazon for about $70.00 Canadian, if i get money for X-mas i'm going to order it.

:o two disc version of Love Supreme? :wub: I'm going to have to order that too :laugh: That's such an impressive album, one of the best ever. And Blues & Roots, that album too, simply marvelous!

There's so many jazz artists I either don't have enough of (Boz Scaggz, Fletcher Henderson, Dexter Gordon) for example or I haven't listened too, I think the next time i get on my main desktop computer it's just going to be a huge jazz downloading spree :neo2:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

here a pretty good american documentary serie of 12 episodes and directed by Ken Burns in 2001. each episode makes 59 minutes. another version exist with only 10 episodes but of 2 hours each.

01 episode - Gumbo: Beginnings to 1917

The series begins in the 1890s in New Orleans where the sounds of marching bands, Italian opera, Caribbean rhythms and minstrel shows fill the streets with a diverse musical culture. Here, African-American musicians create a new music out of these ingredients by mixing ragtime syncopations with the soulful feeling of the blues. Soon after the start of the new century, people are calling it jazz.

episode 02 - The Gift: 1917 to 1924

The story of jazz becomes a tale of two great cities: Chicago and New York, and of two extraordinary artists whose lives and music will span almost three-quarters of a century, namely Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington. As the Roaring Twenties accelerate, Fletcher Henderson, a black bandleader, brings Louis Armstrong to New York to add his improvisational brilliance to the band's new sound.

episode 03 - Our Language: 1924 to 1929

As the stock market continues to soar, jazz is everywhere and soloists and singers take centre stage. The songs of Bessie Smith, Empress of the Blues, help black entrepreneurs create a new recording industry. Bix Beiderbecke becomes the first great white jazz star and Benny Goodman finds that jazz offers an escape from the Jewish ghetto and a chance to achieve his dreams. In New York, Duke Ellington achieves national fame when radio carries his music into homes across the country.

episode 04 - The True Welcome: 1929 to 1934 

During the Depression, jazz is called upon to lift the spirits of the country and enters a decade of explosive growth. Louis Armstrong revolutionises the art of American popular song and becomes one of the nation's top entertainers. In Harlem, Chick Webb pioneers his own big-band sound at the Savoy Ballroom with a new dance. But it is Duke Ellington who takes jazz to the next level by composing hit tunes with a new sophistication that has critics comparing him to Stravinsky.

episode 05 - Swing, Pure Pleasure: 1935 to 1937

Jazz has a new name now - swing. Jazz bandleaders are the new matinee idols, with teenagers jitterbugging to the music of Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Jimmie Lunceford and Glenn Miller. Billie Holiday emerges from a tragic childhood to begin her career as the greatest of all female jazz singers. And in Chicago, Benny Goodman and Teddy Wilson prove that, despite segregation, great black and white musicians can swing side-by-side on stage.

episode 06 - Swing, The Velocity of Celebration: 1937 to 1939 (long version)

The pulsing Kansas City sound of Count Basie's Band comes to New York and quickly reignites the spirit of swing. Soon Basie's lead saxophonist, Lester Young, challenges Coleman Hawkins for supremacy, matching the old sax-master's muscular sound with a lighter, laid-back style of his own. Young teams with Billie Holiday for a series of masterful recordings. By the decade's end, Chick Webb has achieved national fame by taking a chance on a teenage singer named Ella Fitzgerald.

part 01 : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15lpke_ken-burns-jazz-106-swing-the-velocity-of-pleasure-p-1_shortfilms

part 02 : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15lpjb_ken-burns-jazz-106-swing-the-velocity-of-pleasure-p-2_shortfilms

part 03 : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15lpnk_ken-burns-jazz-106-swing-the-velocity-of-pleasure-p-3_shortfilms

episode 07 - Swinging With Change: 1940 to 1942

As the 1940s begin and war overshadows everything else, jazz is changing. In a Harlem club called Minton's Playhouse, a small band of young musicians, led by the trumpet virtuoso Dizzy Gillespie and the brilliant saxophonist Charlie Parker, discover an exhilarating new way of playing which is fast, intricate and sometimes chaotic. When America finally enters the war in 1941, big band music is part of the arsenal, boosting morale both at home and for the troops overseas.

episode 08 - Dedicated to Chaos: 1943 to 1945

In war-torn Europe, jazz has been banned by the Nazis, but great musicians continue to play, turning the music into a weapon of resistance. For many black Americans, however, that sound has a hollow ring. They find themselves fighting abroad for liberties their own country denies them at home. Meanwhile, Duke Ellington premieres his symphonic suite tone portrait of black life in America, Black, Brown and Beige.

episode 09 - Risk: 1945 to 1949

Cold War tensions are reflected in the broken rhythms and dissonant melodies of bebop, and in the troubled life of bebop's biggest star, Charlie 'Bird' Parker.

His improvisations and self-destructive, narcotics-plagued lifestyle are widely copied by other musicians. His longtime partner, Dizzy Gillespie, tries to popularise the new sound, however, young audiences are now swooning over pop singers like Frank Sinatra.

Louis Armstrong forms the All Stars but, in his efforts, encounters racism in New Orleans.

episode 10 - Irresistible: 1949 to 1955

A generation of musicians embrace the challenge of moving beyond Charlie Parker's innovations.

John Lewis and the supremely elegant Modern Jazz Quartet refine bebop's balance between improvisation and composition.
However, few people are listening to bebop. California musicians create a new, mellow sound called cool jazz, and Dave Brubeck mixes jazz with classical music to produce the first million-selling jazz LP, Time Out.

Then Miles Davis stands poised to lead jazz in a new direction.

episode 11 - The Adventure: 1956 to 1960

America's postwar prosperity continues and, in jazz, young talents arise to take the music in new directions. In 1956, the first year Elvis tops the charts, Duke Ellington has his best-selling record ever.

New artists emerge, most prominently Sonny Rollins, Sarah Vaughan and Miles Davis. Davis comes to exemplify the very essence of cool but, as the 1960s arrive, two freewheeling saxophonists, John Coltrane and Ornette Coleman, take jazz into uncharted terrain.

episode 12 - Jazz, a Masterpiece by Midnight: 1960 to the Present

During the Sixties, jazz is in trouble. Most young people are listening to rock and roll. Many jazz musicians head for Europe while at home, jazz searches for relevance led by Charles Mingus, Archie Shepp and John Coltrane.

Miles Davis, combines jazz with rock and roll and launches a wildly popular sound called fusion. However, in 1976 when Dexter Gordon returns from Europe for a triumphant comeback, jazz has a homecoming too and a new generation of musicians emerges.

• 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...