Bellazon

Commercial versus High Fashion

Marsnoop

So the other day a friend and I were talking about models that we love, and I of course brought up the most beautiful girl in the world- Alessandra Ambrosio. He claimed that she was only a swimsuit VS girl with nothing else to her career. I started thinking and I realized that although Ale does a lot of work in swimsuit and lingerie, she still has the body to do high fashion work and yet she's not utilized to her full extent. She hardly ever appears in Vogue or Elle and she doesn't land campaigns like Versace or Valentino, but it's not like she's not versatile. I personally think it's her agent who is not realizing her potential. But what do you guys think? What makes the girl on the left, Natalia Vodianova, the star of the fashion world in comparison to Ale on the right?

roccobarocco8iw.th.jpg

I've always thought of high-fashion models as having an edgy or unique look ( Gemma Ward, Natalia Vodianova, Heather Marks, Bianca Balti, Hana S. et cetera ). A look that may not appeal to the general masses, but that fashion designers and photographers love. Also, high-fashion models are generally very tall and very thin. Walking clothes hangers. Runway models are there to sell the clothes, that's it.

While commercial models are very pretty, they are different than strictly high-fashion runway models. Commercial models, to me, tend to have prettier faces ... or faces that can be recognized as universally pretty ( Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Adriana Lima, Laetitia Casta ). I think they tend to be a bit curvier, as well, which is why you won't see popular commercial models on the runways of Paris, New York, or Milan as often. Commercial models, in a sense, become the face of a brand or a spokeswoman. They aren't just selling a product, they are selling themselves as a representative of that product. And companies use models that can appeal to everyone.

That's my take on it. ;)

Guest quasicartes
Commercial models, to me, tend to have prettier faces ... or faces that can be recognized as universally pretty ( Tyra Banks, Heidi Klum, Adriana Lima, Laetitia Casta ).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! Proof that my chocolate ice cream theory is correct! Told you PA.

^I agree with Heaveth. When I think of models strutting down the runway I don't picture drop dead gorgeous girls..they're more the ah..quirky types.

Maybe this isn't the best example, but look at America's Next Top Model..there have been some really, really pretty girls who didn't make the cut..and it seemed like the judges were looking for that something extra.

So I guess my question is what makes a girl a supermodel, when she's able to straddle both commercial and high fashion, right? In my view there are certain things that "super"models need. A good body right? To me Ale has a thinner frame than Adriana or Tyra, which would make her look good on runway. And to me there are high fashion girls who don't have really peculiar facial features, like Hana S. I really think that the fashion industry sucks bc really weird looking girls like Lily Cole are being considered supermodels. If Ale was modeling in the early 90s, then she would be a supermodel because those were the days of sexy mods like Cindy C and Claudia S.

Proof that Ale can do high fashion:

elleukoct200023px.th.jpg

ellegreece60ju.th.jpg

christiandior20038vw.jpg

I think there are very few "supermodels". I think of a supermodel as someone who can transend time ... have a long-lasting career, is typically a household name, her face is extremely recognizable to most people ( not including those who really pay attention to models ).

My List of Supermodels:

Cindy Crawford

Christy Turlington

Tyra Banks

Heidi Klum

Gisele Bundchen

Kate Moss

Naomi Campbell

Laetitia Casta

Eva Herzigova

Stephanie Seymour

Claudia Schiffer

I'm sure there are more, but those are most of the women that I consider to be supermodel material.

• 3 weeks later...
I think there are very few "supermodels".  I think of a supermodel as someone who can transend time ... have a long-lasting career, is typically a household name, her face is extremely recognizable to most people ( not including those who really pay attention to models ).

My List of Supermodels:

Cindy Crawford

Christy Turlington

Tyra Banks

Heidi Klum

Gisele Bundchen

Kate Moss

Naomi Campbell

Laetitia Casta

Eva Herzigova

Stephanie Seymour

Claudia Schiffer

I'm sure there are more, but those are most of the women that I consider to be supermodel material.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

u forgot linda evangelista! :p

to respond to this thread overall... hmm i think moiselles said it best. high fashion models tend to have an edgier look to them...i wouldnt necessarily say unique just coz idk i think adriana lima has a unique (even strange) look to her and she CAN actually do high fashion but she's definitely more commercial. i think commercial models tend to appeal to more ppl like moiselles said. i know i personally tend to like commercial models a little more, think they're prettier, and more relatable and there are plenty of high fashion models who i just think BLEH. so yeah...idk if i actually said anything useful but thats just my opinion lol

• 3 weeks later...

some evidence that commercial models are generally prettier or at least considered pretty on a more universal level as moiselles said, is that there is very little appreciation for high fashion on this very site :whistle:

i mean there seems to be very little love for natalia, daria, hana, gemma, liya, and more that i cant think of off the top of my head.

so even tho when u visit forums dedicated to fashion, u'll read things like "oh she's too commercial" "her face isnt good for high fashion" etc etc...i gotta say, i think commercial models are more well known in the non-fashion world. commercial doesnt have to be a dirty word!!! (as it seems to be on fashion sites)

Yeah I agree, I just don't like the idea that models can "become too commercial." If Adri and Ale and Ana BB started off as high fashion but then chose to do more lingerie/swimwear modeling, is it like they forgot how to do high fashion modelling, i don't think so.

I'm sure Alessandra is making soooo much money with VS, that if she only works for them, her earnings are set for the year. I wish I was so fortunate. She's one of the few lucky models that can dictate what they do and don't want to do.